2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I drained out the Ford Motorcraft tonight and... UGH, that stuff stinks like concentrated Finger Nail polish.. or paint thinner.. can't decide, it's been a while since I smelled either, but that's the closest thing I can think of to describe the smell. Did anyone else who used the Ford Motorcraft smell the same thing?

Regardless, I'm just glad I decided to drain it out.. wish I'd done it sooner now.
That same smell was present when I filled up my tranny with it a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't as prevelant then (maybe because the fluid was cold?). Also, I had other oils & fluids (old & new) laying out, the garage door was open, cool breeze blowing, etc.. I just didn't give it much thought as I was also doing maintenance on my wife's car too. Tonight, the garage door was closed, no other fluids/chemicals were present... And when this Motorcraft fluid drained out.... it STANK up the whole garage!

I don't know how light or dark tranny fluid is suppose to look after only 2 weeks, but this is what I drained out (1.8 qts)

This is the link to the exact product I bought off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NUES82/

Photo of the bottles I recieved:

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks for testing it out and sharing that info. I had hoped it would be a good option.

It looks like OEM gear oil may be our best option for the long haul. I'm getting it put in today and will report on it after driving for a while.

BTW.. I have 3 quarts of Redline MTL.. if anyone wants them. No charge for the bottles, but you'd need to cover the shipping costs.

PM if interested.
CK

·
Registered
116 Posts
Went out to take the car for a spin after dumping that Mortorcraft fluid and the 'Check Engine' light comes on when I start the car... Because of course it would. After sniffing Motorcraft's "paint thinner" all night, I'd throw a fit too.

Took out the MAF, inspected it... looked clean and perfectly fine to me.

Put the MAF back in, went into the Torque app & cleared the codes. Hasn't thrown any codes since after driving around all day.. fingers crossed.

Not gonna rush to judgement and blame the Motorcraft fluid for the Check Engine light but... I got nothing else to blame so why not? That's what I get for trusting a Ford product. Fool me once, shame on me... Fool me twice.. uh-uh. I'm still airing out my garage from that awful Motorcraft smell too..

My car is still 100% stock, except for the JBR drop in filter (2K miles with it now) and the shifter plate & shifter cable bushings. I've taken out the intake box & disconnected the MAF several times while installing those, with no problems... never thrown any codes before.

Anyway I'm over it. Looking forward to enjoying my car again now that my tranny has some "real" fluid in it. It's back to being 'factory-smooth' again with Pentosin... none of that random stubbornness shifting into 2nd or 3rd gear with the Motorcraft stuff.

Speaking of Pentosin, I might have to order a few more bottles in case Nappa's supply runs out. I'm sure the Pentosin MTF-2 has been discontinued for a while now.

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
For the record, how long did it take you to change out the fluid? From start to finish. 1hour? 2hours?

·
Registered
116 Posts
For the record, how long did it take you to change out the fluid? From start to finish. 1hour? 2hours?
A little over an hour for me last night.

~5-10 min to take out the intake box & jack the car up from the driver's side.
~5 min to undo all those clips & screws underneath the car.
~30 min to let all the old fluid drain out. I'm sure you don't have to wait that long, but I wanted as much of the Motorcraft fluid out as possible. I even raised & lowered the right side of the car a few times just to "shake" all of it out.
~20-30 cleaning up. This can vary wildly depending on how much I drip or accidentally spill on the garage floor. Gotta pour the old oil into a container... Then I wipe up every drip on the floor.. and wipe down all my tools, containers, funnels, etc.. Honestly it takes longer to clean up sometimes than it does to actually do the fluid change, but that's just me because I like to keep my garage as clean as possible.

During the whole process I tend to wash my rubber gloves with dish soap every time I get them oily or dirty because I don't want to touch my car, tools, etc. with dirty gloves. That can add alot of extra time depending on how often I get my gloves stained.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I paid a mechanic to do it.. I did it DIY the first time and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't fun either. Removing the under barrier always turns an easy job into a major PITA.
CK

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yea I wouldn't call it 'fun' but I do feel a bigger sense of satisfaction after I do it myself.. for any maintenance or mods for that matter.

If I know I'm going under my car often I just leave some of the bolts & clips off.. I only use like 4 bolts and 4 clips... it's enough to keep the plastic tray sturdy and makes taking it off that much faster next time.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So I drained out the Ford Motorcraft tonight and... UGH, that stuff stinks like concentrated Finger Nail polish.. or paint thinner.. can't decide, it's been a while since I smelled either, but that's the closest thing I can think of to describe the smell. Did anyone else who used the Ford Motorcraft smell the same thing?

Regardless, I'm just glad I decided to drain it out.. wish I'd done it sooner now.
That same smell was present when I filled up my tranny with it a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't as prevelant then (maybe because the fluid was cold?). Also, I had other oils & fluids (old & new) laying out, the garage door was open, cool breeze blowing, etc.. I just didn't give it much thought as I was also doing maintenance on my wife's car too. Tonight, the garage door was closed, no other fluids/chemicals were present... And when this Motorcraft fluid drained out.... it STANK up the whole garage!

I don't know how light or dark tranny fluid is suppose to look after only 2 weeks, but this is what I drained out (1.8 qts)

View attachment 277581

This is the link to the exact product I bought off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NUES82/

Photo of the bottles I recieved:

View attachment 277583
i'm not going to say that the fluid didn't need to be changed, i'll never be against regular fluid changes. however, that colour is the natural colour of the trans fluid. they dye it so that it can't be confused with engine oil at factory. over time that dye will work its way out and doesn't necessarily mean the fluid is spent. it's usually a good indication that you're getting close though. usually the smell of bad ATF is when it starts to smell burnt.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i'm not going to say that the fluid didn't need to be changed, i'll never be against regular fluid changes. however, that colour is the natural colour of the trans fluid. they dye it so that it can't be confused with engine oil at factory. over time that dye will work its way out and doesn't necessarily mean the fluid is spent. it's usually a good indication that you're getting close though. usually the smell of bad ATF is when it starts to smell burnt.
Oh I'm definitely against changing fluid that's only 2 weeks old, but I'll make an exception in this case. I'm not questioning the color at all, nor did it smell burnt at any point. It just straight up STINKS to me.. literally. The slight & random stubbornness with 2nd & 3rd gear could even be forgiven if it didn't hurt my head when smelling the fumes.

Just open up a dozen nail polish bottles (or paint thinner) + heat it up in the oven = and you'll get an idea of how this fluid smelled. I've never encountered ANY transmission fluid before with this kind of stench. So whether or not it's a "good" fluid is beside the point.. I would just prefer anything else that smells like "regular" transmission fluid in my car.

Could it have just been a bad batch I recieved? Possibly. Given Ford's history of quality control I wouldn't be surprise. But does it mean I have to give it a 2nd chance? Absolutely not.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Oh I'm definitely against changing fluid that's only 2 weeks old, but I'll make an exception in this case. I'm not questioning the color at all, nor did it smell burnt at any point. It just straight up STINKS to me.. literally. The slight & random stubbornness with 2nd & 3rd gear could even be forgiven if it didn't hurt my head when smelling the fumes.

Just open up a dozen nail polish bottles (or paint thinner) + heat it up in the oven = and you'll get an idea of how this fluid smelled. I've never encountered ANY transmission fluid before with this kind of stench. So whether or not it's a "good" fluid is beside the point.. I would just prefer anything else that smells like "regular" transmission fluid in my car.

Could it have just been a bad batch I recieved? Possibly. Given Ford's history of quality control I wouldn't be surprise. But does it mean I have to give it a 2nd chance? Absolutely not.
Yeah that's more than a little strange. I can't think of any reason why any oil would smell like acetone.

Maybe it was counterfeit oil? Sounds stupid, but they'll try to counterfeit anything these days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just an update... after a few days with the Pentosin the "stubborness" issues shifting into 2nd and 3rd came back... only now it does it in EVERY gear the first time I try to shift into that gear. Afterwards, everything is smooth again. Every now and then, it'll creep in randomly.. very annoying when you don't anticipate it, gotta double clutch and then make the shift.. which sucks if you're accelerating from a stop or through a turn.

So after a few hundred miles with Pentosin, I bought 2 bottles of OEM fluid last week and did another drain & fill. And since then, no more stubbornness in any gears. One week and 200 miles on OEM, happy to have ALL the stubbornness gone from the shifter. I'm not even gonna try Redline at this point.. OEM it is for the tranny from now on.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
OEM loyalist.. again.
CK

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wow. Pentosin DOES NOT work... OEM is best. Well, it sure affirms the Mazda-supplied product. Thank you for going through this for us... Sorry you had all that trouble.

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Now Im debating if I want to use redline at all now......

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Stick to OEM. The risks outweighed any benefits I got from the Redline MTL.
CK

·
Registered
116 Posts
Funny side story to all of this.. I ended up paying out of pocket for only the Ford Motorcraft fluid, NOT the Pentosin I bought from Napa.

For whatever reason, the dumb-dumbs at Napa messed up and forgot to mark my order as "Picked Up" after I went by there in person to pick it up. I even got a receipt for it. But a few days later, I got a reminder via email to go pick up my order. I ignored it because I got the product already.

I got a SECOND reminder last Friday to pick up my order.. ignored again.
Then, the other day, I got this email... saying they "canceled" my order and will be issuing me a refund (to my credit card I assume).

I feel a little bad even though I didn't do anything wrong. And I threw the receipt away from when I picked it up because I never attended to return this product. So I couldn't prove that I picked it up even if I wanted to.

Now, if only Ford would issue me a refund for their smelly product....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've done well with redline for about 2 years now. 65k kms on it and no complaints. Not like shifting through molasses in the cold weather :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Others at Mazda6club, few as there are Skyactiv-MT's there, report good results with Redline 75W-80 MTL. I suspect OEM Mazda fluid is a bit stickier when cold... but if you can tolerate/ compensate for this - it is a good product with probably somewhat better ultimate wear-reducing properties compared to the Redline.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts