2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My replacement for the Royal Purple just arrived. :nerd:

CK
You won't be disappointed! I got 3 bottles of the stuff off Amazon but found 2 was plenty. Oh well, unopened bottle for next time!

Let us know what you think. The 3 already shifts well compared to other cars but I found the redline made it a bit better.

·
*The Electrician*
883 Posts
Im gunna be trying Amsoil for my tranny fluid soon here. What was recommended to me was 75w90 gl4 Amsoil so Im gunna try it out.
The specified oil for our transmissions is 75W80 GL4. I'd give that recommendation another thought if I were you.
It just a slightly higher temperature rating. For daily driving Im sure 80 is fine but with autocross the extra cushion is nice to have.

Reactions: Mk I

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It just a slightly higher temperature rating. For daily driving Im sure 80 is fine but with autocross the extra cushion is nice to have.

During normal operating temperatures when the car is warm, the difference is minimal. Then take a look at when the oil is cold. The viscosity curve diverges wildly the colder it gets.

Remember, the engineers that designed these transmissions selected this oil weight for a reason. This is given normal use, I'm sure it could change given unusual use such as autocross.

However, this is not a decision to be taken lightly. If your normal use is autocross and you live in a warm climate, OK at least there's some justification. Otherwise, what you're saying is that you know better than the people who built your car. If you think you do, I'm not going to argue. Its your car after all. Let's call it what it is though.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was too tired last night to change the fluid... Hopefully, I will have the time and energy to do it tonight...

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines."

CK

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Woohoo...half day at work..changed the tranny fluid before getting the kids..

Shifts are even better than they were with the Royal Purple.. wow!

I don't think I felt any friction when shifting at all.. I did a few high RPM shifts and they were smooth and effortless.

Only problem was, I was able to reverse by barely pressing down on the shifter..slipped into reverse very easily. I'm going to need to be careful with that.
CK

·
2017 Mazda 3 GT-M 2.0 120
54 Posts
Mkay. So it seems you are really into this gearbox oil....
Any experience with other brands? Like castrol or valvoline.

I'm looking for some oil. The shift from 1st to 2nd isn't as smooth as i'd like it to be.
Redline is somewhat exspensive here in the EU.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Mkay. So it seems you are really into this gearbox oil....
Any experience with other brands? Like castrol or valvoline.

I'm looking for some oil. The shift from 1st to 2nd isn't as smooth as i'd like it to be.
Redline is somewhat exspensive here in the EU.
The problem you'll run into is getting a full synthetic, correct oil weight in a GL-4. Not many companies make 75W-80. Most manuals take 75W-90. If you can find this in another brand, I say give it a shot. I used both amsoil and penzoil in my old car and found them virtually the same.

I live in Canada and had a lot of trouble getting redline. I ended up buying it from Amazon. Is this an option for you?

By the way,I found 2 bottles about the right amount. Slightly less actually. Point is you shouldn't have to buy 3. Save some money there.

·
*The Electrician*
883 Posts

During normal operating temperatures when the car is warm, the difference is minimal. Then take a look at when the oil is cold. The viscosity curve diverges wildly the colder it gets.

Remember, the engineers that designed these transmissions selected this oil weight for a reason. This is given normal use, I'm sure it could change given unusual use such as autocross.

However, this is not a decision to be taken lightly. If your normal use is autocross and you live in a warm climate, OK at least there's some justification. Otherwise, what you're saying is that you know better than the people who built your car. If you think you do, I'm not going to argue. Its your car after all. Let's call it what it is though.
You have to take mazda engineers with a grain of salt. They juggle cost, reliability, maintenance, and average consumer needs to determine what they suggest. Everything’s a compromise and a compromise is everything.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You have to take mazda engineers with a grain of salt. They juggle cost, reliability, maintenance, and average consumer needs to determine what they suggest. Everything’s a compromise and a compromise is everything.
Like I said, if you think you know better than the people that built your car, go right ahead. I'm not about to argue either way - its your car after all. Maybe you do know better. I can't claim to know enough about the design of the transmission to say.

But the bottom line remains. By changing the spec you are making the above statement.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm no engineer... I follow instructions and I sleep alot better at night.

I do take them with a grain of salt though. If real world reviews and suggestions say different..and can back it up..I usually follow what people are saying.
CK

·
2017 Mazda 3 GT-M 2.0 120
54 Posts
Ok but cerialkiller seems very happy with redline. So i was wondering if the brand is much better than any other.
To be honest i've never known or heard about it, but after some google search i've found some (dutch) forums of MR2 guys how are also very happy with redline tranny oil.
Makes me wonder if this should fix the clunky shift from 1st to 2nd......
Price is €27 something compaired to €10 for castrol.....

·
*The Electrician*
883 Posts
I know someone with a Gen 3 who tried redline and then went to this Amsoil and was happiest with the Amsoil. They also live somewhere that gets a cold snowy winter and hasn't had any issues in the cold. Also it can be had for as low as $10(USD)/quart depending who you know or $20/quart straight from Amsoils website.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I know someone with a Gen 3 who tried redline and then went to this Amsoil and was happiest with the Amsoil. They also live somewhere that gets a cold snowy winter and hasn't had any issues in the cold. Also it can be had for as low as $10(USD)/quart depending who you know or $20/quart straight from Amsoils website.
This is exactly my point of why this is maybe not a good idea. This is what we call anecdotal evidence. It proves nothing other than someone you know is using the incorrect oil weight. We know nothing about real world wear and tear or performance of any sort. It would take many people using that oil weight over a long period of time to prove anything.

And yes I agree that if we have a large number then there may be something to it. We don't have that as far as I know. I also believe that using a heavier oil weight is likely just fine, but I have nothing to back that up.

What I do have is a specification from the people who built it. Those people designed the machine with specific characteristics in mind and through that and real world testing they came up with the spec. That is real evidence.

Throwing out overused 'clever' sayings like 'grain of salt' doesn't prove anything either. I acknowledge that engineers make mistakes. My education is some mechanical engineering so I probably understand that more than most. I also spent 5 years designing machines until I got sick of it.

There is one thing I can say with a high degree of certainty however. The people who designed this transmission know more about it than you, me and likely anyone else on this forum. For that reason, I stick with the specs and would never recommend anyone else does any different.

But as I have said already, its your car. Do with it what you want and please let us know how it goes. Such is the purpose of these forums. However, I still stand by my original statement: by going outside the specs with no evidence, you are making the statement that you know better than the people who designed your car. I'm quite alright with that if that is your decision.

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
I've heard from more than one person that Redline doesn't like the cold. The Ford XT-M5-QS stuff works just as good if not better and does not have issues in cold weather.
As for the 80 vs 90, according to Mazda "internal friction losses were significantly reduced leading to a 1% increase in fuel economy". Using a thinner gear oil spec would figure into that. No reason 90 wt won't work, it just will not be as efficient.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I've heard from more than one person that Redline doesn't like the cold. The Ford XT-M5-QS stuff works just as good if not better and does not have issues in cold weather.
As for the 80 vs 90, according to Mazda "internal friction losses were significantly reduced leading to a 1% increase in fuel economy". Using a thinner gear oil spec would figure into that. No reason 90 wt won't work, it just will not be as efficient.
I suspect you are correct, but at the risk of causing damage to my transmission I'd want some solid evidence before making any change.

I can think of one reason why 90 weight may not work. Tighter gear clearances. The tighter the tolerance, the thinner the lubricant must be to get in there.

To say that 90 is fine, you don't have any evidence either. I have the same owners manual we all have. It clearly says 75W-80 GL-4. It does not say 75W-80 or 75W-90 GL-4. Considering that the transmission is an expensive piece of machinery, saying that 90 is likely fine is the last thing we should be doing.

On a side note, I am running the redline and have in temperatures below -30 C. I didn't find it any worse than the stock dealer oil. Bit notchy to start same as anything else.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The review that steered me to Redline also mentioned that Ford lube too. Big following from Miata drivers.. from what I read.
CK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just changed mine out for the first time. Used the Redline MTL 75w-80 GL-4. Let it drain over night. Got about 1.9 qts in before it started coming back out the fill plug. Not sure I notice any difference in performance - perhaps shifts seem a bit smoother, but I'm probably imagining that.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Damn....that's cold....:laugh2:

I'll use 75w80 GL4 obviously. I was wondering if any brand is much better then the other.
I'll just use the castrol which is for sale at my local partsshop.
I'm of the opinion that simply changing to a synthetic makes the biggest difference. I used redline since it was readily available through internet order. No local store had correct oil weight.
I used amsoil and penzoil in my old car, no difference over the gains of going synthetic in the first place.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts