2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I bought a 2012 Mazda3 i Touring hatchback in September and I just have to say, this is one impressive car. The skyactiv 2.0 and manual transmission make the car feel more alive than other economy cars, and the 34+ combined MPG is awesome for my daily commute (70 miles round trip). I've only owned cars with manual transmission, and I'm kicking myself for not giving Mazda a fair shot until now. My last car was a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 and while it was fast and had great handling, the manual transmission was underwhelming and the throttle response was very delayed - two things that Mazda has damn near perfected.

One thing that definitely needs an upgrade is the cars audio system. To my dismay, Crutchfield did not have any good options for the front component speakers due to some fitment issues, so I'll be using MazDuh3's guide as a template to install 6.5" Infinity Kappa Component speakers, along with a 10" sub and 4-channel amp. I placed the order today and will plan on doing a quick write-up if anyone is interested. I'm also planning on doing the "big 3" electrical upgrade at the same time to avoid any issues with power draw.

I also *may* consider an OV tune somewhere down the road. After searching for a little while, I'm still not clear on whether or not I can expect a slight bump in MPG's on the freeway. It's a lot easier to justify $600 if I can make up for it in saved gas :grin2: Does anyone have any input on this?

Anyway, I guess that's enough for an introductory post. Looking forward to driving and modding the car!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Actually my Mazda is the first automatic I ever owned mostly because my wife also drives it and I am shifting all day on my motorcycle. There is a good thread on OV Tuning so check it out. Keep us updated on your mods and post some photos when you get time. Happy motoring from Thailand.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Im not seeing any mpg gains on my OV tune. But I didnt request it when asking for my tune characteristics. Also im never driving for MPG anymore, rather enjoying the spritely nature of car, so hard to judge...but i do still get 27 combined driving with a heavy foot.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Welcome! I agree the manual is great on both mazdas ive owned...just a joy to row through the gears. Cant help on the stereo unfortunately, mine is staying stock

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not a "3", but went from a 2007 Accord 6-6er to a 2016 Mazda6 Touring manual

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I finished my audio install yesterday. New thread with pics coming soon :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car actually received a salvage title in Texas due to hail damage and went to auction, but was in immaculate condition otherwise. I picked it up for $6,700 cash, which was about half of what clean titles were going for. Since this is just a daily driving gas-saver, I was happy to accept the cosmetic flaws for the discount.

I tried to post pics, but I guess I need to make at least 10 posts before the forum will let me post them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts