2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, is there any how to for this? I just want to know if there’s a drain plug and fill plug to change the manual tranny fluid for my 2015 2.5lts. Dealer said I need to change cv axles but I want to try first with the tranny fluid

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rubber side down
230 Posts
If your CV boots are torn, it will be very easy to see without even lifting up the car. The CV grease will spray out of any holes in the boot like spin art and spray everything in its axis with thick, gloppy grease. Pop your hood and see if there is any grease around the inner and outer CV joints (and any surfaces surrounding them). If you see grease, then it is your joints.

From what you describe, it does sounds like a bad CV. Unfortunately, now that I think about it, if your joints have already gone so far as to be making noise, there might not be a lot of grease left inside. So if the dealer cleaned up the grease that was there, you may not see any. In that case, your next step is to look for a hole in the boots from under the car. You might have to pull and stretch the boot a bit to see the hole, as it may be as small as a pin hole. I have seen it before.

Bottom line, inspect what you can yourself before spending money and doing unnecessary maintenance. If you find a hole in the boot, a bad CV is very likely.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
23mm plug in front of the tranny. There is a washer there too.

It would be a waste of time if you have a bad seal though. It will just leak out.
CK

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hard shifting could be gearbox oil, replace with good oil- I use Redline MT. If the cv joints are really gone they will be noisy when cornering at low speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your CV boots are torn, it will be very easy to see without even lifting up the car. The CV grease will spray out of any holes in the boot like spin art and spray everything in its axis with thick, gloppy grease. Pop your hood and see if there is any grease around the inner and outer CV joints (and any surfaces surrounding them). If you see grease, then it is your joints.

From what you describe, it does sounds like a bad CV. Unfortunately, now that I think about it, if your joints have already gone so far as to be making noise, there might not be a lot of grease left inside. So if the dealer cleaned up the grease that was there, you may not see any. In that case, your next step is to look for a hole in the boots from under the car. You might have to pull and stretch the boot a bit to see the hole, as it may be as small as a pin hole. I have seen it before.

Bottom line, inspect what you can yourself before spending money and doing unnecessary maintenance. If you find a hole in the boot, a bad CV is very likely.
Thanks I’ll check that to see if the boots are good or not

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
23mm plug in front of the tranny. There is a washer there too.

It would be a waste of time if you have a bad seal though. It will just leak out.
CK
Noted I’ll check all around the tranny and cv boots to see if it’s ok or not before changing it thanks for input

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard shifting could be gearbox oil, replace with good oil- I use Redline MT. If the cv joints are really gone they will be noisy when cornering at low speed.
How many quarters does it take? In owners manual says 1.7qt

·
Registered
199 Posts
In any case you need to buy 2 qts. or 2 litres of GL-4 75W-80 manual transmission/transaxle oil. NOT dual rated GL-4/GL-5 or GL-5! And new aluminum crush washers. Do not re-use crush washers.... make 'em up to the correct torque with a 6-point socket or a correct-fitting Allen socket. Remove fill plug first lest u b*gger-up the fill plug and are then unable to fill an empty-of-oil 'box...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In any case you need to buy 2 qts. or 2 litres of GL-4 75W-80 manual transmission/transaxle oil. NOT dual rated GL-4/GL-5 or GL-5! And new aluminum crush washers. Do not re-use crush washers.... make 'em up to the correct torque with a 6-point socket or a correct-fitting Allen socket. Remove fill plug first lest u b*gger-up the drain plug.
Thanks, yes, I’m buying redline in their website and based on the car they say I need three qt that’s why my concern

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would the owners manual be wrong?
I’m not saying owners manual is wrong, in redline mtl. Website they say I need three qt for mz3 2015 2.5lt and owners manual says 2qt, I preferred to ask before placing the order online to confirm with someone has already done this works before,

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Yes. You will need to keep the car level when filling it back up. Level ground and 4 even supports that are evenly spaced out.

A pump attachment for the Redline MTL bottle makes this much easier too. I got a generic one with a long clear tube attached to the front that you can feed in the front fill plug from Pep Boys. Once the car is fully drained..raised and level.. pump in Redline MTL..1.8 qts or until it starts coming out of the fill plug. Drain a pump or two out of the fill plug with your pump if it spilled out.. Clean things up, retighten and done.
CK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts