2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

I just was given a 2014 SGT for the kiddo to use. SoCal car, no rust, no mechanical issues, new cabin air filter, and new brakes all around. Runs and drives great. No leaks anywhere; starts and runs strong on surface streets and freeway speeds in CA. But… the previous owner admitted to never doing any services after 15k, save for an oil change or two. (!!) The car has 81k.

What do I need to tell the mechanic/dealer to do to get back”on schedule” for services? It seems like there are different things on thr 30/60/90 services and I basically want to get it to the 90k service mark, plus anything I need to do that was missed?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,735 Posts
Just the usual....oil, brake fluid, filters, check the coolant, belts and hoses, plugs and wires etc. There is a complete maintenance schedule in the owners manual in section 6.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Honestly if he just missed an oil change in that span....not so bad. Not going to lie and say it's good, but these cars don't require a lot of maintenance besides the oil changes. Trans fluid isn't so critical ("oiled for life"), no timing belt to worry about and it could use some new spark plugs. As mentioned air filters and a good check over. If the brakes have been done that's probably the most expensive thing to worry about. Brake fluid is worth a look but it lasts a lot longer these days than it used to.

A coolant flush is a good idea and if my memory is right it's about time now. Maybe slightly late at worst. Can't argue with a trans fluid flush (assuming automatic?) But that's hardly late by the owner's manual since it doesn't even specify that. From my past experience (and others here) change out the fob battery. Change that every 2 years minimum to avoid unnecessary headaches. I would also have the battery in the car load tested. Easier to replace when it's getting weak than to get stranded.

Any other little things that crop up I'm sure we can help you with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Changing spark plugs and the brake fluid will get you back on schedule - based on manufacture service schedule and the practical portion of dealer recommendations.
And of course a complete checkup if it is not done yet.

If it's me - I'll drain and refill the transmission as well if the car is to be kept for more than 5 years. There is no convenient/standard way to change all the ATF and it has to be completely replaced at 120-150k (this is the life of the modern types of ATF at normal driving conditions defined by the manufacturers of the ATFs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonderfully folks! Now I’m also seeing that the AC works when driving but stopped at the drive thru in 90 degree weather the AC blows cold and dry, then humid and lukewarm and I’m getting a temp light. So … fun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's throwing a light for overheating? Make sure the fan is working properly when the car has been idle (helps cool down coolant), and the ac fan kicks on when you turn the ac on and turn the fan up. Beyond that I'd have coolant levels/cooling system checked out.

·
Super Moderator
6,735 Posts
First, stop driving the car. Aluminum motors don't do well when overheated.
Second, get an OBD scanner that monitors the data output so you can see the engine temps and other necessary things.
Third, check for voltage at the fan switch and for fan switch operation. If possible you can just apply 12V to it with a couple jumper wires from the battery.
If you can't do the above, take it to somebody who can properly diagnose the problems. You may find that there was a reason that somebody just gave the car to you.....or more than one reason as the case may be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts