2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm looking around the internet to see if anyone sells a magnetic oil drain plug for the 2014 2.0L Skyactiv motor.

Anyone can chime in on this?

Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I just thought of this; would a magnetic drain plug also attract potentially magnetic oil additives like molybdenum and deprive your engine of useful oil properties? :p

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes but what would be the point when the filter is already doing the job ? Unless if course you are using cheap aftermarket filters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes but what would be the point when the filter is already doing the job ? Unless if course you are using cheap aftermarket filters.
The idea behind having a magnetic oil drain plug is that it will pick up any metallic particles that fall to the bottom of the oil pan.
The oil pickup tube which is at the bottom of the pan, and oil flows through it and straight to the oil pump. The oil filter is AFTER the pump, and so while the rest of the engine is protected by the filter, the oil pump is not.
So a magnetic oil plug would help protect the oil pump from some types of metals getting sucked into it and causing wear to it...
( the particles that are ferrous, meaning they contain iron- some of the metallic debris in an engine comes from parts like the bearings, which are non-ferrous and would not stick to the magnet)
Some cars come with a magnetic oil plug from the factory, btw.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I understand the point you are making . If the ferrous particles are that large , I think I would be more worried about the interior disintegration of the motor. Lol. There is a screen at the oil pickup point for particles size of a pinhead. If you are referring to the fine pieces normally generated by initial wear-in or breakin then that would get pumped through the filter and be gone, first time around . The VW Beetle only had a course screen and no full flow filter and mo magnet and they survived quite well. As you say , it's only good for the ferrous metals .

I like the idea of better acceleration with the magnetic flux.......!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts