2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so as some of you may have seen, I purchased an intake from a member here stating it was for the sky but turns out it's for the 2.0L non sky. Whatever no harm done, I didn't ask for a refund because it was an honest mistake so whatever. Anyways I understand that the screws won't line up and the MAF wouldn't be seated properly and will throw a CEL if you try to line up the screws. So I emailed CS and they said it would still work with the skys but again, it will throw a CEL. Cool I thought, so I installed it just for the hell of it. I was able to get it seated flush in the MAF housing by turning it clockwise to the 2 o'clock position similar to in the picture to clear the screw mounts and clamps. I turned on the car and to my surprise no CEL! I let the car idle for a while and nothing. Can anyone tell me of any issues I may have or that they see before I attempt to drive to Ritas tomorrow? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow funny thing is I went through the same exact thing ! Bought a CS Sri from a member here saying it was for the sky 2.0 but wasn't. Ended up getting my money back and I sent it back but yeah I was about to just make it work like you did but was afraid of throwing a CEL and not working properly.

I don't think anything will happen if you made it fit right because its the same exact intake for the 2.0 sky and non sky just the MAF housing is different to make it fit properly. Just hope that its tight because if air seeps through it will most likely throw a CEL and make your car run funny.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@EWitsSEAN yea I remember reading about that so after I had this happen, I reread it to find out what happened. And I'm not paying $95 for a MAF housing seeing as I bought this for $100. I drove it hard for 30 mins this morning going up and down the hills in my area and no CEL. I'm pretty confident I won't get one because I had to press the maf down pretty hard to even get the rubber seal inside the housing. It might have helped that I also zip tied it around the intake. Looks kinda ghetto haha but I'm going to take off the zip tie and see if friction is enough to keep it in place. I left my stock box in my car just in case. You sent it back to the seller?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt? And well I tried to save some money by buying it used so I mean what other choice do i have? Seller says no refund then what? Cry? Haha na I got more important things to worry about then a damn intake.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah I sent it back and he refunded me. If you drove the car for a while and did some spirited driving with no CEL then I say it should be fine. Good idea to keep the stock airbox just in case and you should leave the zip ties for now just to be safe. It might look ghetto but how often do people look under the hood:ph34r: @hawaiian.monzta

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt? And well I tried to save some money by buying it used so I mean what other choice do i have? Seller says no refund then what? Cry? Haha na I got more important things to worry about then a damn intake.

Except you know... getting crap past the MAF because it's not sealed down perfectly and a good jolt from the road unseated it. Fix your shit, get the seller to take his falsely advertised crap back.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I wouldn't run it like that. the MAF is SUPER picky and SUPER sensitive, and that can cause major AFR and timing issues.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Except you know... getting crap past the MAF because it's not sealed down perfectly and a good jolt from the road unseated it. Fix your shit, get the seller to take his falsely advertised crap back.
yep stock airbox back on, and na i already have a pending buyer for the intake so it worked out for me i got lucky

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'll probably have a skyactiv sri for sale here within two or three weeks if you don't find one before then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts