2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, does anyone know if the orientation of the maf will affect it greatly? like lets say it's mounted on the pipe, but upside down? or on the side,

basically if you take your stock intake airbox and just flip it over.. maf gonna be ok? or reading will be skewed to hell?

what about sideways

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I don't see why it would unless the sensor is put down not tight enough or too tight or something like that. If it is screwed in and the same placement in the pipe it shouldn't matter what way it is facing.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
yes it does, for idling it does matter.

Not crucial enough to stall the engine(it might), but reading will be off.

you could do this test yourself ya know, need some 3" flexible dryer ducting and a scanner.

edit: I was only thinking NA, for turbo, no idea.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
doesn't matter... as long the sensor is getting air... that's all it matters

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah your totally right, I can't blow my engine with the car running wrong..that doesn't make any sense. At least now I run 17.2 afr in boost which is sweet, just lean enough to make me go fast. I took my spark plugs out too, they take up too much space in the cylinder and I wanted to lower compression so I run glow plugs!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
:shocked:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
yeah your totally right, I can't blow my engine with the car running wrong..that doesn't make any sense. At least now I run 17.2 afr in boost which is sweet, just lean enough to make me go fast. I took my spark plugs out too, they take up too much space in the cylinder and I wanted to lower compression so I run glow plugs!

What I mean is your car runs like ass (ie not right, proper, whatever you want to call it), you aren't going to push it (just so you don't side track yourself here, I don't mean physically push your car, I mean like drive it hard), thus you won't make my prediction come true (again to save you time, my prediction, ie bye bye your engine).

There is that clear enough for you?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I mean is your car runs like ass (ie not right, proper, whatever you want to call it), you aren't going to push it (just so you don't side track yourself here, I don't mean physically push your car, I mean like drive it hard), thus you won't make my prediction come true (again to save you time, my prediction, ie bye bye your engine).

There is that clear enough for you?
as clear as the murky ocean. I cant dive it hard because my car wont start! I crank and crank all day buy for some reason it won't fire up with them damn glow plugs.. maybe I need to try a different type of oil.. or my transfer case isn't working and transferring output to the pistons.. idk i'll figure it out!

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
yes it does, for idling it does matter.

Not crucial enough to stall the engine(it might), but reading will be off.

you could do this test yourself ya know, need some 3" flexible dryer ducting and a scanner.

edit: I was only thinking NA, for turbo, no idea.
-_-.. it really won't.. Lol, you arent thinking about it the right way. Unless it is not placed right or screwed in too tight or something of that sort it wont change a thing by the way it is placed.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remember that time you were going to sell turbo kits based upon your set up. I still laugh about that when I see your posts.
Well i do say i regret posting that but w/e. Im proud to be turbo and slower then a geo metro haha

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes the placement, and the clocking does make a difference. And yes they need to be oriented as close to the stock clock position as possible. MAF housing design makes a difference also

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have mine right now in a 2.75 inch subaru wrx aluminum maf housing maf is completely horizontal, and my afrs are back to stock now. So I think it works. Also looked at my buddys speed6 intake yesterday, his maf is sideways and the air straighteners are horizontal not vertical, his car runs fine

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Yes the placement, and the clocking does make a difference. And yes they need to be oriented as close to the stock clock position as possible. MAF housing design makes a difference also
So, what I am confused about and what I thought was right is that even if you leave it in stock place but just flip is upside down or right/left it will throw off the reading? How?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts