2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In browsing through all the parts sites and stores, has anyone come across a MAF sensor adapter for out cars? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

I have purchased intakes for the past couple vehicles I've owned and I've always taken them off when I've sold or traded in the cars. I've got the itch to put on an intake, but I can't see spending $100+ when all I need is the adapter. Since ours is part of the air box, I'm tempted to just cut the box lid. Looks like you can buy the lid for ~$40 online and I could just buy that whenever I go to remove the intake.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where and how much and what housing or tubes does that fit on?

If I could find the housing and adapter all-in-one, like this example, that'd be great.

·
Registered
975 Posts
None of this will work.

Unless you are a machinist, and understand how MAFs work and how it relies on the intake diameter.

Save your attemptive DIY, and buy a real intake made specifically for this car, otherwise, like most people that have tried this, you'll realize you're just going to waste time and money.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@KitCarlson, it is cheap, but Spectre doesn't make parts for the Gen3, just the older ford engines and components. Thanks for trying! :)

@XCNuse, Why do I have to be a machinist, if I'm asking if anyone has found a housing for this car? You did read that piece of the post, right?
Why do I need to spend $180 on the CorkSport intake when all I need is the housing? It's a 2" to 3" silicon tube that connects to a 3" housing and a cone filter with a 3" opening. I have the silicon sleeves to connect the aluminum pipes and I have a small aluminum elbow with that same 70-80* bend. I mean, if money is no object to you, then feel free to send me an intake. Then I can have a K&N, AEM and CorkSport cone filter rotation.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well, because when you go do exactly what you just said, and see a CEL pop up, feel free to not whine at me because I'm telling you.

I've watched this happen multiple times a year for the past 6 years. If you want to feel secure about it, go ahead, I'm just warning that if you don't know precisely what you're doing, which, in discussion of spectre or similar like cheap universal parts I will assure you you do not, that you WILL end up with a leaned out engine and CEL that agrees.

Don't be upset with me, I'm trying to save you the trouble of what you're about to put yourself into.
Not everyone asks firsts, and then every single time someone has to tell them they screwed up because they did it wrong.
If you don't agree, just search Mazda3forums for DIY intake, and look at how many people came out with CELs, and I guarantee you will see at least half of those threads with me popping in and saying good job, you should've checked first.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
XCNuse is right....I've seen gen3 DIYs reverted back to stock due to CELs popping. Unless you can copy what K&N, JBR have done, hobo might bring you that pesky dash light. Save the effort & the change you're planning to invest....just my 2cents.:)

·
Save the Manuals
267 Posts
The technical explanation is you can't increase the diameter of the MAF housing without a retune. If you increase the MAF diameter the MAF sees far different air volume values than it expects.

On my 370Z the intake tubes are larger but they choke down at the MAF housing to the factory diameter to not throw a CEL.

·
Registered
975 Posts
And it's precision that matters. Which is what you're paying for when you're buying a name brand item.

Even if you're off by a 32nd of an inch in the diameter, more air is going into the engine, and it'll be running more lean than it should be, because within that 32nd of an inch, a significant % more air is coming in, and the MAF is calculated to read a specific diameter pipe, with that pipe diameter being incorrect, the calculations the MAF sends to the ECU are fubar'd, and it throws a CEL, because while the ECU tells the injectors to send X fuel into the cylinders, because that's what the MAF was reading air wise, and your o2 sensor out the back end reads an AFR that is higher [more lean], than what that fuel ratio should be, it freaks out, because it's thinking... either not enough fuel is getting sent in due to a miscalculation, or an amount more of air is coming in due to a miscalculation.

In a very pathetic illustration, this is how that is seen:
Air + Fuel = 14.7 AFR
Air(5%, but not visible according to MAF) + Fuel ≠ 14.7 AFR

AFR is read by o2, so, it's looking for that 14.7, and if it doesn't find it.... then something is wrong; and in this example, it's that 5% not visible by the MAF/ECU

Now before anyone gets upset, none of this is to make OP feel bad or be negative in any way. This is a forum, for documentation.
Plenty of people ask this question each month, hopefully one of them will see this thread, read this, and then realize to not make this mistake if they aren't 100% positive on what they're doing.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I totally get that if something isn't right, it will throw a CEL. I'm trying to avoid that by finding a housing made for our cars. Yes, I like the price of the Spectre parts, who doesn't? Doesn't mean I think they're the "OMG So like totally the greatest in the history of EVAR!". The only thing missing from most of their labels is that they're 90% certain to cause a CEL. This isn't my first rodeo. I've been working on cars for 30 years now... I may only be 34, but that holding the flashlight and using my little arms to reach parts that fell in to small locations has to count for something.

I've read plenty of posts on the interwebs about DIY intakes and all the horrible ways people "build" them. PVC plumbing pipe, anyone? What about the great rubber hose intake? Sounds easy... you buy some heavy duty 3" rubber hose, zip tie it in to place and cut a hole just big enough to slide the MAF sensor in. I mean, that's the ultimate budget intake. ...Until you slam the gas pedal and the pull from the engine causes the hose to collapse. Heck, I've even seen people use dryer exhaust tubing. I've seen the application, where it's use to just bring air from under the car in to the airbox or up to the intake, which doesn't sound that bad, kinda lame, but not the end of the world. K&N even sells a product almost exactly like it. However, I've read about people actually using it for their own, home-made cold air intake tubing and zip tying it into place.

I'm definitely not looking to do any of those. The only thing I had mildly considered is cutting the existing housing off the airbox. I know that's not the greatest idea, but it's made for our car, it works in it's existing application, so I don't know that it wouldn't work without the airbox lid attached, because at the most basic level, the air flow direction is still the same (well, as long as you install it in the right direction). I don't plan on doing it, it was just a thought and I admit it's not the greatest idea to ever go through my head. I also don't have a dremel right now, so makes it kinda hard to cut anyways.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the gen3 have an air straightener in the stock MAF holder like the gen1 did? (I assume the gen2 did as well).
A few people in the old days used to just cut the MAF holder out of the stock box, but then of course you don't have a stock box to go back to.

The alternative "DIY OEM SRI" method gen1 owners liked to do is remove the lower sections, and cut a big hole in the base of the bottom portion, so it's enough to hold the filter in place, and run it like that. Typical results however showed loss in torque, which is to be expected.

All I want to point out is, when you do find a MAF holder, make sure the pipe diameter is 100% accurate to the diameter of the stock one.

No one is beating you up about anything, we just want you [and any readers] to be informed there is absolutely a wrong way to go about doing a DIY intake.
I'm not saying all DIY intakes fail, it's just the poorly thought out ones do, which, has always been the off the shelf parts at a local store.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the gen3 have an air straightener in the stock MAF holder like the gen1 did? (I assume the gen2 did as well).
A few people in the old days used to just cut the MAF holder out of the stock box, but then of course you don't have a stock box to go back to.

The alternative "DIY OEM SRI" method gen1 owners liked to do is remove the lower sections, and cut a big hole in the base of the bottom portion, so it's enough to hold the filter in place, and run it like that. Typical results however showed loss in torque, which is to be expected.

All I want to point out is, when you do find a MAF holder, make sure the pipe diameter is 100% accurate to the diameter of the stock one.

No one is beating you up about anything, we just want you [and any readers] to be informed there is absolutely a wrong way to go about doing a DIY intake.
I'm not saying all DIY intakes fail, it's just the poorly thought out ones do, which, has always been the off the shelf parts at a local store.
Most name brand skyactiv intakes come with an air straightener to smoothen airflow. However, the design of the straightener can definitely impact the quality of the intake based on how the MAF sensor registers airflow. Here is an example of a well vs. poorly designed air straightener for the skyactiv 2.0:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...e-performance/96186-corksport-vs-jbr-sri.html

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Most name brand skyactiv intakes come with an air straightener to smoothen airflow. However, the design of the straightener can definitely impact the quality of the intake based on how the MAF sensor registers airflow. Here is an example of a well vs. poorly designed air straightener for the skyactiv 2.0:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...e-performance/96186-corksport-vs-jbr-sri.html
This is true. We recently did some more testing with the 2.0 and changed the MAF housing design. So that we no longer need the straightener that blocked sensor.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This is true. We recently did some more testing with the 2.0 and changed the MAF housing design. So that we no longer need the straightener that blocked sensor.
What about for the people that already purchased the faulty designed version? Will there be a fix?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Sorry for the delay! We really appreciate the feed-back! We are constantly improving designs in order to reach perfection. If the original design has failed under warranty then we are more than happy to work with customers as we do with all issues covered under our warranty. Our engineer changed it and continues to run the old style in his daily driven baby cruiser CX5, with no issue for over a year.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Sorry for the delay! We really appreciate the feed-back! We are constantly improving designs in order to reach perfection. If the original design has failed under warranty then we are more than happy to work with customers as we do with all issues covered under our warranty. Our engineer changed it and continues to run the old style in his daily driven baby cruiser CX5, with no issue for over a year.
Is he Cx-5 modded? He may be interested here. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?549-Mazda-CX-5

1 - 19 of 19 Posts