2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am from Singapore. Just placed an order for a 1.6 litre sedan, standard and expecting delivery within 2 months.

i was reading some web sites and it staes 1.6 standard transmission as Auto while their elegant is skyactive. however, both engines are skyactive.

Any guys out there can confirm and what is the difference from AT and Skyactive? basically both cars feature almost everything identical for performance other than the transmission.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i don't remember seeing any 1.6 in sg, i thought it was a 1.5 and 2.0? is the COE pricing really good now? haven't bought a car in sg for about 5 years now since i moved.

my guess is that one's a normal 6sp automatic and the other is based of the skyactiv suite of technologies, including the torque converter and multi plate clutch. simply put, it's a redesign of the standard auto. you don't really see that on the higher L motors, my guess is that it's for the 1.5 engines that are more seen in asia or europe

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You do have a SYYACTIV engine. Not sure if you have the 13:1 or 14:1 compression engine.

1.5 L

The SKYACTIV-G 1.5 or (P5-VPS) is a 1,496 cc (91.3 cu in) engine with a 74.5 mm (2.93 in) bore and a 85.8 mm (3.38 in) stroke.

This 4 cylinder engine was introduced in the 14MY Mazda3 for the Asian and European markets, it develops 99 hp (74 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 111 lb·ft (150 N·m) of torque at 4,000 rpm (Asia Markets). This new gasoline engine added to the SKYACTIV line-up achieves a high compression ratio of 13.0:1 (14.0:1 in some markets). It greatly improves dynamic performance and fuel economy over the MZR 1.5 engine of the previous model. Maximum power for the European model hatchback with automatic transmission is 115 hp (86 kW).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M3 standard

Hi, I am sorry, it should be 1.5 l. It is skyactiv engine according to specs but somehow the transmission for standard states it is 6 speed (A). I got the information from Sgcarmart.com unfortunately I couldn't attach the link since I am new.

I am wondering if the transmission is different, how then the rest of the specs could be same other than top speed? Especially for FC, power and torque. Even their CX5 is stated as 6 speed (A).

A bit of Singapore vehicle purchase system. We do need to 'bid' for a piece of 'Certificate of Entitlement' before we can buy a car to drive here. The current price for vehicles below 1,600 cc is between $40K to $50K valid for 10 years. This is what louisbosco is referring to. At the peak, it is almost $100k. Yes it is a costly affair to own a car here. Being a tiny island, if we have too many on the road, owning a car and not able to drive also does not mean anything.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Victor. Actually that's quite interesting. if you have a look at the hatchback details on sgcarmart, all 3 variants are using the skyactiv drive gearbox. only on the sedan column does the details vary. i think this could be a mistype on sgcarmarts part. if you look at the details in the pdf above, the only gearbox is the skyactiv drive. as sgcarmart is a 3rd party, i think it's better to trust the details on mazda.sg pdf. have you tried asking your trans eurokars sales rep and see what his thoughts are?

also interestingly just to point out from the pdf with something i noticed, the minimum requirements for this car is 95ron/89 octane, as compared to the others around the world where it's 91ron/87 octane. not that it matters to me because i'm using 98ron/91 octane. but i curious as to why that may vary for the same model produced from the same factory...

if i remembered correctly, somebody brought this up with the mx-5 vs mazda 3 as well, in which they were saying the mx-5 is possibly running a different fuel map.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M3

louisbosco, that is what makes me confused. Why the same engine has different transmission. If indeed the transmission is different, then the performance such as power, torque, fuel consumption, etc should differ. Somehow their max speed is also different.

I have heard that they do use different chips or tune engine to cater for different octane petrol. Not sure if it applies for those sold in Singapore. But generally, most cars here use 95 ron with some going for 98 ron. My son-in-law bought a Mazda 5 recently, the spec in sgcarmart also stated it to be 6-gear (A). But on the engine and the booth area, it states skyactiv.

Cookie_Thumper, Thank you for the link. I will read the info.

·
Registered
431 Posts
also interestingly just to point out from the pdf with something i noticed, the minimum requirements for this car is 95ron/89 octane, as compared to the others around the world where it's 91ron/87 octane. not that it matters to me because i'm using 98ron/91 octane. but i curious as to why that may vary for the same model produced from the same factory...
Thats because of the compression ratio.

Here in Thailand we only get the 14:1 2 litre engine and according to the Mazda Thailand website can it only use Gasoline 95, Gasohol 95 E10, E20 and E85. Mine is tuned for E85 only.

·
Registered
510 Posts
louisbosco, that is what makes me confused. Why the same engine has different transmission. If indeed the transmission is different, then the performance such as power, torque, fuel consumption, etc should differ. Somehow their max speed is also different.

I have heard that they do use different chips or tune engine to cater for different octane petrol. Not sure if it applies for those sold in Singapore. But generally, most cars here use 95 ron with some going for 98 ron. My son-in-law bought a Mazda 5 recently, the spec in sgcarmart also stated it to be 6-gear (A). But on the engine and the booth area, it states skyactiv.

yeah. i'm starting to think the info on sgcarmart's website is only true to a certain extend. i'd just had a read through again on sgcarmart and used the compare function. here's what i reckon: the transmission is definitely the same as mentioned in the brochure. only the top speed is different from what i see (based on sgcarmart) which is rather odd. technically speaking, from seeing the brochure pdf, there's only one model listed for the performance data. the only variance is the amount of tech in the car.. i'd say question the salesman and ask what or where the difference is!

well thinking back, i rarely if any at all, see people in sg using 91/92ron as compared to australia where most everyday drivers use it. most in sg use 95 or higher. and if it gets too expensive, they'll just go to JB to get fuel. additionally, i remember reading somewhere the fuel rating has to do with the law as well. certain countries has a law that the lowest fuel that can be sold is 95ron. it's going to happen here in australia really soon too, where they're going to implement over a few years the phasing out of 91ron.

Thats because of the compression ratio.

Here in Thailand we only get the 14:1 2 litre engine and according to the Mazda Thailand website can it only use Gasoline 95, Gasohol 95 E10, E20 and E85. Mine is tuned for E85 only.
oh right true. i keep forgetting that some models there get the 14:1 compression. but also as mentioned above, there are regulations in certain countries that specify the min ron ratings. somehow, they're looking to phase out the 91 ron rating in australia or keeping in while reducing the sulphur ppm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the information. I have up to 2 months before I could collect the car (something to do with our local system). will be able to confirm and have more info once I collect the car then.

·
Registered
431 Posts
oh right true. i keep forgetting that some models there get the 14:1 compression. but also as mentioned above, there are regulations in certain countries that specify the min ron ratings. somehow, they're looking to phase out the 91 ron rating in australia or keeping in while reducing the sulphur ppm
Yeah Thailand phased out 91 gasoline a few years, only 91 we can buy now is Gasahol or E10 everything else is 95 (gasoline/gasahol/E20/E85).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am also a bit confused about these specs. Just bought a used 3 Skyactiv G 1.5 from Singapore. Sgcarmart and Mazda Singapore specs differ from all other sites.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts