2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does anyone in NA have pics after install either with or without aero lip. Preferably with Aero lip?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used a couple of cable ties/zip ties. It was pretty easy only took around 5-10 mins to do. The hardest bit was having to drill out the securing rivets that were holding the number plate holder to the grill. I will and get some pics tomorrow to show how its secured.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I used a couple of cable ties/zip ties. It was pretty easy only took around 5-10 mins to do. The hardest bit was having to drill out the securing rivets that were holding the number plate holder to the grill. I will and get some pics tomorrow to show how its secured.
Nicely done, sir!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have very good news: I wrote Mazda to get an official statement on what they think about the relocation of the front plate. Their reply was that it is not approved by Mazda since down there there are air flaps which, depending on the operating condition, get opened, closed or half-opened and consequently the air flow and cooling would be affected. To be honest, I think I'll be on the safe side here and listen to those who designed the system, despite the front looking much better with the plate at the lower position :(

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have very good news: I wrote Mazda to get an official statement on what they think about the relocation of the front plate. Their reply was that it is not approved by Mazda since down there there are air flaps which, depending on the operating condition, get opened, closed or half-opened and consequently the air flow and cooling would be affected. To be honest, I think I'll be on the safe side here and listen to those who designed the system, despite the front looking much better with the plate at the lower position :(
Yes, safety & function must be above aesthetics. This was the main concern when the mod was 1st hatched on the BM. Tests were done via relative temp logging on various drive, road & climate conditions.....no observed nor felt differences...even in the tropics.
Long term? Personally, I, like many, have had this mod since I got the car 6yrs ago. Still feels like day1. Mazda really did good on the SkyActiv.
Aerodynamics? Perhaps....but the BP doesn't really seem significantly different from the 6 or the 30. They're all better looking w/o the plate on that pretty grille.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be honest, I think you are right. Mazda (Mazda Austria) just told me that it is not approved by them. However I also emailed Mazda at other locations in Europe and for instance Mazda Spain surprisingly replied that both positions work just fine and have no effect on cooling / aerodynamics. Would be nice to try the performance at high speeds under same conditions with the front plate on grill and on the low bumper and see if there are differences in fuel consumption if any...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
To be honest, I think you are right. Mazda (Mazda Austria) just told me that it is not approved by them. However I also emailed Mazda at other locations in Europe and for instance Mazda Spain surprisingly replied that both positions work just fine and have no effect on cooling / aerodynamics. Would be nice to try the performance at high speeds under same conditions with the front plate on grill and on the low bumper and see if there are differences in fuel consumption if any...
Sure there'd be some effect. A calculated guess? Whatever mpg losses from the mod's increased drag coefficient might be too miniscule to justify prolonged eye torture of having the plate remain on the grille.....I kid, just me tho.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts