2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally I was following this thread because I was going to get a Mazda 3HB, but ended up getting a CX-30 instead. I’m not familiar with other Mazda’s, but the CX-30 comes with a plastic mount, the bottom of which clips in the lower opening at its bottom and the top part uses two screws to go through the top of the lower opening. It looks like you could easily use tie wraps instead of the screws and not have to make any holes in the plastic just at the top of the lower opening.

i have no idea if this mount would work for the Mazda 3 but it might be worth it to check it out at a dealer. I know the front ends are not the same, but appear to be similar. Below are some photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts

The screws are in a shipping, storage position. They actually go through the holes in the top corners when used to mount the plate holder to the car. It appears that a long tie wrap could go through the cutouts where the screws are shown in the picture and wrap behind the same two vertical plastic “bars” that the lower clips attach to. The only drawback is that the plastic “bars” in the opening aren’t the most robust things.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
View attachment 274790
The screws are in a shipping, storage position. They actually go through the holes in the top corners when used to mount the plate holder to the car. It appears that a long tie wrap could go through the cutouts where the screws are shown in the picture and wrap behind the same two vertical plastic “bars” that the lower clips attach to. The only drawback is that the plastic “bars” in the opening aren’t the most robust things.
Relocating the plate to the bottom grille can be SIMPLE, NOT, or MADE SIMPLE.
If 1 doesn't mind:
-drilling
-allowing the plate or frame touch/rub against the painted bumper surfaces
-or letting it sit at whatever angle it rests stable & secure, it will be a SIMPLE task.

For those who could be bothered by any or all the above, it won't be so. A bit of work will be needed.

This mod was hatched & shared to:
-avoid drilling
-prevent the plate or frame rubbing on painted surfaces
-have some plate height adjustability
-let the plate sit secure & stable at a proper aesthetic angle
-allow easy DIY w/ reversibility
-make the relocation simple like it were the factory designed location.

What made the BP's relocator so much more complex to fab relative to the BM/BN was Mazda deciding to have 3 distinct bumper & lower grille shapes for the hatch, sedan & hatch w/ aero. The BM had 1 for all models, The BN was shaped differently from the BM, but also had 1 identical lower grille shape for all models.
Pix below show the differences.
BP sedan
BP hatch
BP hatch lower grille
BP Hatch w/ aero
Gratitude is humbly extended to M3R(where the mod debuted some 5 or so years ago) & everyone who has appreciated the No-Drill Plate Relocator. Thanks & Happy 2020!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 73 Posts