2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting the engine from cold, is the M Hybrid battery used or does the starter motor only draw current from the standard 12V battery? Similarly, if the 12V battery is too discharged to start the car, will the car start using current drawn from the M Hybrid battery?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Based on other threads, the 12v is necessary for starting the car and running all the electrical systems. The hybrid battery is purely used for electric motor during driving and nothing else. For better or worse. I've heard that 12v batteries do far better in severe cold and so all cars (even a Tesla) have a 12v lead acid battery for a base system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on my research, I think 24V battery is always in use, charging both 12V battery via a DC/DC converter and supplying electricity to both heated seats and the belt driven generator/electric motor during intensive accelerations. However, as KeepingHatchbacksAlive has mentioned, all done at the optimum temperature and derated if the M-Hybrid battery temperature is too low/high.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In EU version of the car you get i-Stop which shut offs the engine during a stop, e.g. when waiting for the traffic lights to change. During this time the screen where you can see the energy flow indicates that the M Hybrid battery is being used. Indeed, the charge indicator shows less and less power. If it falls to zero (no bars highlighted), the engine turns on. So I assume that, at least in the EU version of the car, the M Hybrid battery must be used for something more than providing aid when driving, e.g. for the cars electronics/stereo etc. when the engine is not running. However, it for sure is not used to run the A/C. When the engine is off, the A/C will not blow cold air even if the M Hybrid battery is fully charged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts