2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I asked about making the Mazda 3 a ten second car.... long story short no reason to do so unless time and money abound. But, I have been doing plenty of research for turbo's and other car mods and want to see what ya'll think. I added the led lights in the footwell (for funsies) and the injen CAI. the CAI is nice, but the next upgrade i'm going for is a turbo system. I don't wanna do manifold than exhaust than turbo or anything like that, saving up to do it all at once.

I live in the Saint Louis area and spoke to a highly reccommended mechanic, he said he would do it for 8500, and that's everything save the turbo itself which I would have to provide. needless having some one else do it takes out half the fun and that much money better be giving me wings almost. I picked up Corky Bell's book "Maximum boost" and have been studying it more than my LSAT books. I think I've come to the conclusion that the best way to run a turbo in the Mazda 3 2.5L 4 door would be a water cooled IC above the engine (like the MS3 in postion, not type) and than run everything out from there. The manifold seems to have plenty of space above it for a turbo and if I put the IC right above the engine I may lose out on expelling some heat, but the lower boost threshold should offset this lose. I don't know, it was one option, the other being that the IC be air/air and have it go where the CAI is now or even under the car. The problem with this is that the bends and amount of connectors is gonna lose power, almost not enough to offset the heat. furthurmore, I was thinking about using the air filter from my CAI but wasn't sure if that was possible much less reccomened.

Let me know what you think because I'm working on this with a buddy of mine who is finishing up his project
TurboFord.org Forums: My turbo ranger project

long story short, what are your thoughts?

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Well considering you need a manifold to mount a turbo on, then that is probably the best way. :rolleyes 1:
Smartass, lol. There is a member on here, OrangeVirus, that has a stable turbo set-up as of now. Talk to him about what to do. If you want a 10 second car, you will need to do some engine work on top of just buying all of the turbo system parts. Hopefully I'll be joining the turbo ranks soon...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean just looking at the engine there doesn't seem to be much room to go around without lots of turns, does anyone have experience with that? I don't want to make a hood scoop if I can help it but I also don't want to move everything around. Also, if we can get a thread of people to design a turbo I would love to try it out. I'm working on the math but I need a Dyno, does anyone know the cfm or any other readings for this car?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
you want this to be a 10 second car easiest and first thing that is a must, Drop the 2.5 engine. it's no go. Use 2.3 DISI bottom end BUILT with 2.5 head.
good luck!

your gonna need at minimum 12 grand., in order to run water to air, your gonna have to 1. move stuff around 2 use a small intercooler. There is plenty of room to run a front mount.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the point isn't ten seconds any more, its really just getting the turbo in. Would it be cheaper/more efficient to do with air/water ic or air/air. If I want a ten second car I'll save up for the lotus elise

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem is that its for the 05' and 2.3 L, would that still work for the 2.5 2010?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I see it now, I was on my phone and it didn't have the pull down menu, but yeah that does seem to be too high. My friend who did the whole engine (see above) did it all for about 9,000 give or take, I figure just the turbo system shouldn't be anywhere near that high unless its done professionally.... I also heard somewhere that the Mazda 3 Stock tranny can't take more then 250 hp, does anyone know the source?

·
Registered
570 Posts
IIRC, there aren't even any MS3's running 10's. Good luck #1 getting your engine to handle that power, #2 getting your trans to handle that power, #3 getting $1500 axles custom made to handle that power. You'd need slicks on the front and a ton of suspension work to make it hook up.

In the end, you could probably build three 10 second mustangs for the same price in half the time.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Holy smoke, you have been studying.

Top mount intercooler is the more efficient design, avoid rock chips as well. One could copy B6 A4 1.8t side mount intercooler, its smaller and it does the job. Front mount is easy for everybody that has the dough but its more slap together than actually thought out.(not that crucial)

Just do it bra, be Tarbo #2

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
IIRC, there aren't even any MS3's running 10's. Good luck #1 getting your engine to handle that power, #2 getting your trans to handle that power, #3 getting $1500 axles custom made to handle that power. You'd need slicks on the front and a ton of suspension work to make it hook up.

In the end, you could probably build three 10 second mustangs for the same price in half the time.
He said no more 10 second, but just a turbo...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
i'll sell you my complete kit, tuned, 2300$, all you need to do is tap the oil pan, comes with downpipe, aem ecu, the works

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha thanks but no thanks, half the fun is building the system myself. The bell book I have is great cause it gives all the equations and stuff, but as of now I am leaning towards top mounted ic and I would put the resivor where the Cai is now, that way I can have a bigger tank (2.7 gallon) and the distance from the ic will bleed off heat.

Orange, is your waste gait on the turbo or the manifold? I feel turbo is easier but manifold is more efficient. Also is yours a t3?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
if you run an air to air top mount, it will get way way too hot and you will go boom. air to water, idk might be safer. Front mount is just good insurance imo.
I have internal wastegate on the turbo with a 7psi spring + a turbosmart boost controller.
I am using the speed 3 manifold and speed 3 turbo. it bolts right up and fits

1 - 20 of 22 Posts