2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is everyone using to lubricate door and hatch hinges?

Typically I have used white lithium grease from a spray can. I'm just wondering if there is anything better out there. :smile2:

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
On our John Deere tractors, they recommend silicon spray lube on the metal-to-metal parts on the 3 point hitch. Also, this is recommended for garage door lube, even on the metal roller bearings. So, I'd think silicone spray lube would be fine for the door hinges. It's what I use on the Miata's PRHT moving parts except for the plastic gear. On it, I use some very expensive, space age stuff that about like an ointment or grease.

Ralph

·
Working Class Hero
3,661 Posts
Lithium is fine. Silicone doesn't really do muchore than repel water on metal surfaces. I'd want something with a little viscosity. Garage door lube can be good, as well. It builds without running and stays put.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
Garage door lube is silicone spray.

Ralph
Thats like saying cookies are chocolate. Without brand specifics, "lube" can be anything.
In any case, silicone is a poor metal to metal lubricant. White lithium is widely used for car door latches and such where moving parts are exposed. For hinges with pins and the like any light petroleum oil is good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If silicone is a poor metal lube, why does John Deere specify it for their 3 point hitch metal-to-metal contact hinge points? Those are quite high stress/force points. Don't want oil, because it attracts dust, which can lead to scratches on metal-to-metal surfaces. Silicone will not attract dust.

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
If silicone is a poor metal lube, why does John Deere specify it for their 3 point hitch metal-to-metal contact hinge points? Those are quite high stress/force points. Don't want oil, because it attracts dust, which can lead to scratches on metal-to-metal surfaces. Silicone will not attract dust.

Ralph
Silicone spray is a wet lube and as such will collect dust and grit as any wet lube will. Its best for metal to non metal or non metal to non metal lubrication. Metal to metal will gall when using silicone.
John Deere lubes don't have silicone in them. Various oils and solvents, dry graphite, moly lube etc but no silicone. If you are referring to the Super Lube stuff recommended by JD, that is a PTFE based lube, basically teflon spray. Dry teflon spray is ideal for lubing a 3 pt hitch.
I've worked with tractors large and small, John Deere and otherwise, for over 30 years and never have seen any sort of silicone lube used on a 3 pt hitch or anywhere else. 90wt oil, motor oil, EP grease, any petroleum based lubes will be ok as long as you maintain it properly.
Teflon and graphite are dry lubes and don't retain dust and grit. Stickier types of lube like lithium grease tend to accumulate grit and need frequent refreshing or things tend to bind up tight. Lighter oils retain some grit but are easily flushed out and don't cause binding if properly used.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, we finally had a warm day so I grabbed my fresh spray can of lithium grease and took a few shots at the front door hinges. The force of the spray was so strong the lube ricocheted off the hinges and went all over the place. What a mess. I should have paid more attention to the brand name on the can - Blaster (lol). So now I'll get a tube of lithium grease and try that instead. I should be able to get it where it needs to go with minimal mess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, we finally had a warm day so I grabbed my fresh spray can of lithium grease and took a few shots at the front door hinges. The force of the spray was so strong the lube ricocheted off the hinges and went all over the place. What a mess. I should have paid more attention to the brand name on the can - Blaster (lol). So now I'll get a tube of lithium grease and try that instead. I should be able to get it where it needs to go with minimal mess.
I use Tetra gun grease, It's what I had laying around its a Fluoropolymer or PTFE grease comes in a small 1oz toothpaste style tube with a needle tip only goes where you put it and fits in the tight spaces.

Link to product page
http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=1

·
Registered
690 Posts
Garage door lube is silicone spray.

Ralph
I just had a new up and over garage door installed. The installer recommended lubricating the main tension spring and all hinge points with engine oil every 3 months. He also recommended cleaning the door channels on either side then lubricating with with WD-40.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just had a new up and over garage door installed. The installer recommended lubricating the main tension spring and all hinge points with engine oil every 3 months. He also recommended cleaning the door channels on either side then lubricating with with WD-40.
Not trying to jump into this over my head discussion but AFAIK WD-40 is a cleaner not a lubricator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts