2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
GOOD DAY GUYS, I AM NEW TO THIS SO PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF I KNOW NOTHING.
I DRIVE A 2016 MAZDA 3 SEDAN (NOT THE HATCH) AND IM THINKING ABOUT LOWERING IT A LITTLE TO FILL MY WHEEL GAP A LITTLE.
ANY ADVICE ON WHAT ARE THE BEST LOWERING SPRINGS TO USE FOR THIS PROCESS.
PLEASE TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE RIDE QUALITY AND DIFFERENCE IN HEIGHT REAR AND FRONT.
ALSO I WOULD LIKE A GOOD HEIGHT WHERE I WONT SCRAPE AND DRAG ON ANYTHING.(EASY PASSAGE OVER HUMPS ETC)
I CURRENTLY HAVE AN OEM FRONT LIP AND IM RUNNING 18X10 WHEELS.
PLEASE HELP SINCE I HATE THAT UGLY WHEEL GAP.
J

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should look into getting coilovers rather than just lowering springs.

·
Banned
842 Posts
You should look into getting coilovers rather than just lowering springs.
Ya this would be one way to have the best of "most" worlds regarding adjust-ability in a suspension?

Your great benefit of adjustable coil-overs is having almost infinite adjustable for ride height ,spring rate choice, adjusting for different driving conditions, ETC.

But we may as well toss in a full air ride system so you don't have to get out of the tools and spend an hour changing setting on adjustable coil overs you can do everything while sitting in the car listening to the sound system. But a system like that is $3-4k.

Without going into the why's and not's , adjusting for a lower ride height for looks is not always the best approach to improving things in handling overall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya this would be one way to have the best of "most" worlds regarding adjust-ability in a suspension?

Your great benefit of adjustable coil-overs is having almost infinite adjustable for ride height ,spring rate choice, adjusting for different driving conditions, ETC.

But we may as well toss in a full air ride system so you don't have to get out of the tools and spend an hour changing setting on adjustable coil overs you can do everything while sitting in the car listening to the sound system. But a system like that is $3-4k.

Without going into the why's and not's , adjusting for a lower ride height for looks is not always the best approach to improving things in handling overall.
M3Nitro, what do you recomend??? I'm not putting a 3-4k into my suspension, I like the lowered, not slammed, look of the vehicle, but I don't want my ride to suffer. How do you get the best of both worlds?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Springs and decent dampers work well and will cost less than coils.

Eibach and Racing Beat springs both offer about a 1" drop. The ride quality doesn't firm up that much either. Pair them with some Koni Sport Active dampers and you'll have a ride quality that's as good, if not better, as the OEM setup.
CK

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

Eibach and Racing Beat springs both offer about a 1" drop. The ride quality doesn't firm up that much either. Pair them with some Koni Sport Active dampers and you'll have a ride quality that's as good, if not better, as the OEM setup.
CK
+1

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,235 Posts
This is the best solution without compromising being too low / high

127mm/5.0" Drop
30-Level Adjustable Damping
Threaded, Adjustable Strut Mounts
Proprietary Bolt-in Camber Plates
High Quality Spherical Ball Upper Mounts
High Performance Monotube Struts
Double Bellows Progressive Rate Springs
Braided Stainless Steel Leader Air Hoses
No Modifications Necessary for Installation

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is the best solution without compromising being too low / high

127mm/5.0" Drop
30-Level Adjustable Damping
Threaded, Adjustable Strut Mounts
Proprietary Bolt-in Camber Plates
High Quality Spherical Ball Upper Mounts
High Performance Monotube Struts
Double Bellows Progressive Rate Springs
Braided Stainless Steel Leader Air Hoses
No Modifications Necessary for Installation
This is why I came here. I want to lower my '18 3 5 door but I don't want to give up highway drivability, camping trips and kayak hauling. I don't personally have any experience with air ride but I don't think I'll be happy with coil overs. I did springs on my first car and remember the rubbing with passengers and would regret installing coil overs and reliving that struggle. What more can you tell me about air ride; has anyone installed on my model year? Price and availability of parts?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I don't rub at all with my springs... drove from LA to Irvine and back yesterday (60 miles each way) and my 2 year old son was asleep for almost the whole ride there and back. No complaints from my 13 year old daughter or wife either.. and trust me.. my wife has no problem letting me know when she doesn't like something.. or repeating it over...and over...and over... you get the idea..
CK

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,235 Posts
This is why I came here. I want to lower my '18 3 5 door but I don't want to give up highway drivability, camping trips and kayak hauling. I don't personally have any experience with air ride but I don't think I'll be happy with coil overs. I did springs on my first car and remember the rubbing with passengers and would regret installing coil overs and reliving that struggle. What more can you tell me about air ride; has anyone installed on my model year? Price and availability of parts?
https://www.carid.com/2017-mazda-3-performance-air-suspension/
it's not cheap*

·
Registered
274 Posts

CK

I'll add another +1... Just put Eibach prokit in my car and it's better from every aspect. Just remember though it won't look slammed just right :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Eibach makes a good product. I'm trying to sell my wife on them. She has a VW Jetta that I'm itching to play with. >:)
CK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts