2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the '17 3 GT sedan in black. Currently the exhaust is kind of hiding behind the bumper and not visible, I am not a big fan of that. I am looking to lower the exhaust so that I can expose the dual exhaust tailpipes and maybe also changing the tips to a wider one. What do you guys think about this? Will it look better or awkward. And also if I do it, in the future if I want to add a rear lip or diffuser, would it cause any problem in terms of fitting and stuff?

Any inputs will help thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The the exhaust has at least 1" of vertical movement, especially if you want to go down. You would just need to buy longer hangers for the stock Muffler (x4).

With that said however, the stock Muffler is not very attractive in trying to show it off would most likely not turn out well. Instead you can always have an exhaust shop extend the tail pipes out and under.

However after thinking about a rear diffuser and extending your exhaust out, that would be just silly not to buy one of those rear diffusers that already have the cutouts.

Or you can do like I did with my 2017.....

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, did you cut out on the stock bumper?

So it's actually easy to have the exhaust shop make the tailpipes show?

That being said, if I decide to get the rear diffuser in the future, I would most likely need to lower and extend the tailpipes anyway or else I would need to cut out on the existing stock bumper to show the tailpipes?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for the reply, did you cut out on the stock bumper?

So it's actually easy to have the exhaust shop make the tailpipes show?

That being said, if I decide to get the rear diffuser in the future, I would most likely need to lower and extend the tailpipes anyway or else I would need to cut out on the existing stock bumper to show the tailpipes?
In my case, yes I cut the stock bumper. Figured if I didn't like it I could always get the rear diffuser and it would cover it all up.

Yes...easy for tailpipes to show. They just replace the outlet pipes with longer ones and of course bend them to come out...somewhere a guy did exactly that...no bumper cutting and just had them come out under...sorry...don't remember who.

In all scenarios....you don't need to lower anything. I think the racing beat and corksport axle backs to hang down a bit so you can see the mufflers, but of course for the sedan, you don't really see the tailpipes on those.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@minsanity that's nice, how much was the new tip?

good to know, I will probably like you suggested just have it come out and under without cutting the bumper. Just not sure if it will look weird without the round edge on the bumper to fit the tailpipes. It would be nice if someone who have done the same thing can comment.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
@minsanity that's nice, how much was the new tip?

good to know, I will probably like you suggested just have it come out and under without cutting the bumper. Just not sure if it will look weird without the round edge on the bumper to fit the tailpipes. It would be nice if someone who have done the same thing can comment.
Cutting out the bumper to expose tips is the best looking option. There are many types of tips online, eBay. He just chose from what the muffler shop had.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts