2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Mazda 3s auto sedan 2.3 Liter with a striped out lower sub frame transmission motor mount threads. I have attached pictures of problem here. please look them over ... I cant get it to catch and thread to put back together also there was popping sounds after installed i think part looks same as old one unless didn't i catch a differences

Did i get defective part or wrong item ?
Do you think it was rocking inside the after installing ?
What thread pitch /size /grade bolt is this ?
Was there a Helicol installed beforeme ?
How do I fix this ?

Bumper Gas Automotive design Camera accessory Composite material
Grey Automotive tire Sneakers Bumper Gas
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Land vehicle Water resources Eye Vehicle Tire
Vision care Eye glass accessory Grey Eyewear Font

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
Did you support the engine before removal of the bolts? If it's threaded, you are kind of screwed.
CK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you support the engine before removal of the bolts? If it's threaded, you are kind of screwed.
CK

yes i did jack is not in picture as its more to the front . i changed all mounts i did support motor / transmission

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
Search around for a good mechanic and call a tow truck to take your car to them. The subframe hole needs to be rethreaded and you probably need new bolts too. The mechanic can order new mounts if needed too.
CK

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
222 Posts
Looks like someone over-torqued that bolt. At this point, you have three choices:

1. Stick that thing back up in there and weld the bolt to the car. Kidding. Don't do that.
  2. Drill the hole in the frame out and install a helicoil so you can use the original bolt (assuming that it isn't screwed up, probably ought to check it), or a new bolt (might be a good idea).
  3. Drill/tap the hole to accept the next size up bolt, buy one new bolt and put it in. You will likely have to enlarge the hole in the mount too.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
i have engine support on top of engine as well
The video shows you what is needed to install these mounts.. he has a video for all 3 mounts, but since you threaded the subframe mount, it's game over.
CK

Reactions: Devo87

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys! what do you guys think about just filling the hole up with a weld and drill&tap . would it be strongr option then a helicoil ?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
Engine mounts need to be secured exactly as intended or you will damage your transmission or engine from movement while driving.

You really should take it to a professional.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
What type of bolt is this size / grade / SAE / metric / just to confirm ?
You have the bolt.....Can't you measure it?
What exactly does the bolt thread in to? That could be just a captive square nut. You might be able to replace it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have the bolt.....Can't you measure it?
What exactly does the bolt thread in to? That could be just a captive square nut. You might be able to replace it.
Did you read the post ? Its a lower engine monut as shown in pictures

why im asking what is size metric SAE I want to make sure I have the correct bolt as car has 319k miles I have no clue if someone put a different bolt and I just added more problems hope that makes sense

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
Call the local Mazda dealership. Give them your VIN and they will either have the bolts or order them for you.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
Did you read the post ? Its a lower engine monut as shown in pictures

why im asking what is size metric SAE I want to make sure I have the correct bolt as car has 319k miles I have no clue if someone put a different bolt and I just added more problems hope that makes sense
I know its the rear motor mount......what does the bolt actually thread in to? It goes through the mount and threads into something....Many cars have captive nuts behind the frame rail so that these things can be fixed fairly easily.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts
It's an 06 3. The mount threads into the subframe and he threaded it with an improper installation. Needs to be rethreaded and needs new bolts.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,667 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
It's an 06 3. The mount threads into the subframe
Yes I know that....Its what exactly it threads into thats the question.
The point is the threaded part may be a captive nut in a cage attached behind the frame. It looks like the frame stamping is separate from the threaded piece. The fix might be a simple as replacing that nut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone I think i got it fixed for now. my fix was to shave a nut down to were i can put on top of frame nut and below power steering rack and pinion with a little longer bolt.. will see how long it holds up. no more popping sound ..X fingers thanks everyone ill keep you posted your time and in put is very valuable to me thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The fix is still holding up and working I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts