2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the lower grill (and the fog light surrounds), Mazda's glossy Jet Black to match many other parts of my car (such as the front air dam, the GT's glossy grille, etc).

Can we remove the front lower grill by pulling the lower grille straight out with a trim tool or similar, or is the only way to remove it being first to remove the whole front fascia and then pull the grille out from the back side?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Can we remove the front lower grill by pulling the lower grille straight out with a trim tool or similar, or is the only way to remove it being first to remove the whole front fascia and then pull the grille out from the back side?

Thank you.
Seems to me that there is a separate small grill with vertical bars in the lower fascia.
I think if you pull down the front undertray you can access the push pins to release it.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have the correct page from the service manual to post here please? On many cars, the one large upper (or single) grille is screwed in from the back side -- not removable without full fascia disassembly first. Hope that for our Mazda's, that by removing the front undertray, I could get in and remove backside fasteners as @arathol has suggested.

However if there is not simple way to remove the lower grille, I will not be removing the front fascia just to paint the lower grille.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
There was a post sometime back about replacing this....
The actual grill is several inches behind the lower valence. If you look in, there are fasteners in there. If needed I'll take a couple pictures in the AM.

Anyway, here is a picture that may help. You can see the grill and the bars in the lower part of the bumper are separate.

Of course you won't know if the 2017 is the same until you look at it.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you @arathol! Just what I was hoping for. I really like your earlier idea of removing the front undertray, for that looks like a very promising way to remove it (hopefully).

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Well, I took a good look inside this thing today and it does appear that you can't get it out. It is not attached to the grill, rather it seems to be part of the bumper. Its either cast that way or attached by some sort of bonding agent. :frown2:
On the bright side, there is a small lip around the edge, more than enough to allow you to mask it off properly and paint it in place.:smile2:

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just confirmed that the lower grille is not removable from the front, nor underneath, nor by complete front fascia removal -- as it is one integral fused plastic part of the front fascia.

Thankfully used @arathol's recommended underneath method of exposing/learning that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts