2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am done wiring everything but the ground for my radar detector. I ran the wire from the center mirror down the left A pillar (in FRONT of the wire harness) and into the fuse box compartment.

Does anyone know what I can ground to down there besides drilling into the side of the body or having to splice a wire? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I am done wiring everything but the ground for my radar detector. I ran the wire from the center mirror down the left A pillar (in FRONT of the wire harness) and into the fuse box compartment.

Does anyone know what I can ground to down there besides drilling into the side of the body or having to splice a wire? Thanks in advance!
I ended up drilling a shallow hole with a short sheet metal screw.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There's a bolt below the fuse box that you can use as a grounding point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know what that bolt is for? It's anodized so not sure ill get a good grounding. Thanks KPATZ.

RVOLL: in my post I asked for a non-drill option.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Does anyone know what that bolt is for? It's anodized so not sure ill get a good grounding. Thanks KPATZ.

RVOLL: in my post I asked for a non-drill option.
I know you asked for a non-drill option but I did not find one in that area. There will be a ground in the upper console. You should be able to use an electrotap. If you have an anti-dimming mirror, one of those three wires is a ground.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used that bolt beneath the fuse box for a ground for my radar detector and it works fine even with the anodizing. I stripped the wire and wrapped it around the bolt between the big washer and the body metal, then tightened it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts