2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to lower my 17 2.5 touring a little 1- 1.5 inches maybe but want it to ride like stock. Koni fsd look to be a good riding shock but what springs for that SMOOTH stock ride?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Eibach is the best spring out on the market out in the market imo. I have owned corksport, racing beat, eibach, and h&r springs mated with bilstein b8s.

Also, I have a set of eibach springs for sale.

·
Horses!
80 Posts
You are not going to have "race car handling".
The car will handle somewhat better, but only at the expense of ride quality. Stock spring rates and lowered cars don't mix.
In which case Eibach prokit is the way to go. A little bit of drop to just give a little bit nicer look, and very close to standard ride quality. Mazda sells exactly the same kit as their own official upgrade part and can even fit it in the official dealership. UK 'sport black' comes with it as standard.

·
STEALTH
27 Posts
I see this same question across all forums. No such thing as lowered car with stock ride quality.

I would suggest Eiback on Koni Yellows or Bilstein. If you have the funds, GC/Koni setup for adjustability of getting that ride height that you are trying to achieve.

I wouldnt recommend adding lowering springs to stock shocks. As much as you think the ride quality is going to stay the same, its actually the opposite. Stock shocks are made for the stock ride height. Even an 1 - 1.5" drop will change the geometry of what the shocks are made to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,215 Posts
I see this same question across all forums. No such thing as lowered car with stock ride quality.

I would suggest Eiback on Koni Yellows or Bilstein. If you have the funds, GC/Koni setup for adjustability of getting that ride height that you are trying to achieve.

I wouldnt recommend adding lowering springs to stock shocks. As much as you think the ride quality is going to stay the same, its actually the opposite. Stock shocks are made for the stock ride height. Even an 1 - 1.5" drop will change the geometry of what the shocks are made to do.
Actually, you can get a really good ride out of a lowered car but it costs money to do it. The right springs and properly designed dampers will get you there. To do things right would cost probably at least $2k give or take.:surprise:
Not really worth the effort I think though as there is not really any Mazda 3 suspension out there that is in this higher end category. So, it will have to be a custom one-off.
Koni Yellows are more sport oriented and as such you may find them to be a bit stiff. Not a stock ride by any means.
Just get a set of H&Rs to go with those FSDs and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lowered cars are so pretty! I hate that wheel gap, seems the German cars have much smaller gaps.
But I also love how my GT hatch is handling bumps and road imperfection, the ride is responsive, yet smooth.
I figure I sit in my car much more than I'll look at it, think I'm just going to leave the suspension alone.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have racing beat springs with koni fsd shocks and the ride is really nice. A few other members on here also have the same set up and can confirm the ride is nicer than stock. I've been hesitant in lowering my car because I did not want to lose the stock ride quality. After reading others with this setup they all liked it so I finally pulled the trigger. I've now gotten rid of the giant wheel gap and improved the ride quality over stock as it feels more smoother than stock suspension.

·
Super Moderator
5,215 Posts
So if you are going lower get new shocks with the lowering springs, if so what brands to get and size of shocks would one need for lowering springs.
How low do you want your car? H&R springs seem about right, not too low. 45mm in the rear, 25mm in the front. Koni FSDs ride very well paired with these.

·
Registered
879 Posts
In which case Eibach prokit is the way to go. A little bit of drop to just give a little bit nicer look, and very close to standard ride quality. Mazda sells exactly the same kit as their own official upgrade part and can even fit it in the official dealership. UK 'sport black' comes with it as standard.
Mazda does not sell the same exact kit. Mazda Europe sells a different Eibach kit that has a linear spring not progressive like everyone else her has. I would know because I have the European kit. The drop is very much comparable to Corksport unlike the progressive drop with is just a bit more than Racingbeat.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
879 Posts
My Wife didnt notice anything with racing beat with stock dampers didn't tell her about install,Passed that test.
My wife isn't a big fan of riding in my car because of the exhaust, she did say after getting in, "Did you lower your car again?"
I laughed, because thoughts of JBR adjustable, or new dampers were currently on my mind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You should put your car on air. Specifically my old setup that I'm trying to get rid of. Decent ride and lots of flexibility ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts