2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. An Official Drought has just been declared in California so we are mandated to reduce water consumption by 20% and washing cars is highly frowned upon. I don't want to waste water unnecessarily and certainly don't want to draw the wrath from my neighbors, but my baby is only two weeks old and I can not just watch her become sullied. Sad face. To make matters worse, I live blocks from the Pacific Ocean, so salt is a major concern.

Does anyone have suggestions for keeping her up without using much water? She is my first new car so I am not very savvy with these things. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Hey All. An Official Drought has just been declared in California so we are mandated to reduce water consumption by 20% and washing cars is highly frowned upon. I don't want to waste water unnecessarily and certainly don't want to draw the wrath from my neighbors, but my baby is only two weeks old and I can not just watch her become sullied. Sad face. To make matters worse, I live blocks from the Pacific Ocean, so salt is a major concern.

Does anyone have suggestions for keeping her up without using much water? She is my first new car so I am not very savvy with these things. Thanks in advance!!!
A quick detailing (quick detailer, spray liberally, use clean MF clothes) is essential between washes but thats only if your car is lightly dusted. Anything more than that and you risk scatching/inducing swirls into the paint. When in doubt, there really is no substitute for a proper wash (2 bucket method with grit guard, foam gun, shade, etc.)

The salt water air is pretty mean to car paint, houses, etc. I suggest doing a full detail and applying some sealant for protection. I always use Klasse SG.

If your already familiar with paint care and maintenance, get to it when your neighbors are not home/sleeping/etc. lol.

If not, go to autopia.org (detailer's bible for all the how-to you will ever need)

*I live in California too and in my neighborhood, everyone loves their cars so washing here is an everyday occurrence. I even taught some of my neighbors how to properly wash/detail their rides. Last time I caught my neighbor using a dishwashing sponge and the green rough side of all things....my goodness lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Optimum No Rinse. I use the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax. Product is a god send.

Do your research and everyone swears by it, including myself.

It's fast, not messy, swirl/scratch free, uses very little water, and produces phenomenal results.

All you need is 2 gallons of water, although I use 4 gallons by practicing the two bucket wash method.

$16 dollar bottle will last you years depending on how often you wash your car.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'd love to hand wash my baby but unfortunatley where I live the bylaws do not allow hand washing in driveways:sad 1:
Has to do with the soap going into the ground water..I remember washing our cars in the driveway when I was young.
I may just have to cheat this summer:001_unsure:

·
Registered
287 Posts
+1 on the ONR/two bucket method. If your car isn't trashed from wet weather driving, this method works great!
It's what I've been using for the last few years.....I'm really satisfied. Also....as jeremiah mentioned,
autopia.org has all the info your brain can absorb.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
ONR for sure. If u cant wait for it to show up in the mail, turtle wax makes a very similar no rinse product. Its available at auto stores, walmart, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
352 Posts
Take it to a car wash that uses a water reclamation system or uses recycled water.
I've been in non-stop drought restrictions for two full years now. Other than spot cleaning, this is pretty much the only option left.

Typically the full-service, "partial service" and most automated car washes can operate during a drought. Yes, this costs money and lots of it. Self-service car washes might not be able to operate.

I get the "need car to be shiny" California thing. I always appreciate how people do it out there, but I'd be washing multiple times/week to keep a car perfect in my climate much of time. The weather's just too variable.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Just go to a car wash. they handle the bill for extra water usage. Don't worry about fresh water, the world will never run out of fresh water no matter how much people use.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Another vote for Optimum No Rinse. I use the wash and shine version instead of the wash and wax version because I like to apply wax separately, but both products are great. I like the wash and shine because you can also make detailer and clay lube by varying the dilution so it is a multipurpose.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions. And yes, I do enjoy having a California shine on my car! :tongue:

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Another vote for Optimum No Rinse. I use the wash and shine version instead of the wash and wax version because I like to apply wax separately, but both products are great. I like the wash and shine because you can also make detailer and clay lube by varying the dilution so it is a multipurpose.
Anything that tastic recommends for detailing, do it! Guy has some money invested in his products lol. Im going to get some paint sealant this spring after seeing what hes done to his paint. :D

Reactions: lala04 and tastic

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Anything that tastic recommends for detailing, do it! Guy has some money invested in his products lol. Im going to get some paint sealant this spring after seeing what hes done to his paint. :D
Flattered and embarrassed at the same time LOL! The wife frequently busts my balls that I have more cosmetic products for the car than she has for herself. :blush 1:

You'll definitely appreciate the difference after using a good sealant. Remember to give the paint a good decontamination in the spring (clay bar) and correction (if needed) before sealing and it will really shine, especially on your black. IMO nothing looks as good as black paint when properly detailed.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Flattered and embarrassed at the same time LOL! The wife frequently busts my balls that I have more cosmetic products for the car than she has for herself. :blush 1:

You'll definitely appreciate the difference after using a good sealant. Remember to give the paint a good decontamination in the spring (clay bar) and correction (if needed) before sealing and it will really shine, especially on your black. IMO nothing looks as good as black paint when properly detailed.
Agreed black does look the best when detailed properly, nothing has the depth and gloss it provides...truly mirror like. Clay bars for the win....cleans like no other just do not drop it on the ground OP....thats a big no no.

I put the same amount of effort into my snowflake white pearl as our 07 nighthawk black pearl Civic but nobody will ever know....white just looks clean and while you can obtain some "pop" with it, just not the same as a black (dark colored car) but thats okay...the "hard to see swirls" aspect and always looking clean even when dirty is why I love white.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts

I cant wait for a weekend in the spring to do some detailing. Plan to spend some dough on autogeek and get some extra stuff. Got plenty of swirls that need to be hidden for a bit lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 on the ONR/two bucket method. If your car isn't trashed from wet weather driving, this method works great!
It's what I've been using for the last few years.....I'm really satisfied. Also....as jeremiah mentioned,
autopia.org has all the info your brain can absorb.
How dirty is too dirty for ONR? The instructions (or maybe the website) said if the car was really dirty to spray with a waterless wash first and then use the ONR. What would be a good waterless wash to use pre-ONR? Would it matter if it were a wash and wax type product? I've already placed and received an online order for "high end" detailing products so hopefully there is something that's easy to find just about anywhere that would do the trick. I think I may just go do a quick wand wash and then ONR at home during the winter when it's really dirty, but if I could do it all at home, even with a fairly dirty car, all the better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will give a big +1 for Turtle Wax Rinse Free. Turtle Wax - Rinse Free Wash & Wax

It is the one no-rinse you can run out and buy in a local store (well, Walmart, anyway) to try on an impulse.

Some may recall my recent odyssey to find some (forget AutoZone, or O'Reillys) but Walmart has it in the automotive section.

I have been very happy with the results. I have seen it compared to ONR in performance, and hope to get some ONR to compare someday. It is the same polymer concept and you can dump your two buckets on the lawn when done. Very slick finish.

They also caution that it is not for a car caked with mud, but handles dust and regular road dirt OK. I used lots of microfiber towels and switched up when they started looking nasty.

I am not a detailer but for a California driveway job, this stuff works.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How dirty is too dirty for ONR? The instructions (or maybe the website) said if the car was really dirty to spray with a waterless wash first and then use the ONR. What would be a good waterless wash to use pre-ONR? Would it matter if it were a wash and wax type product? I've already placed and received an online order for "high end" detailing products so hopefully there is something that's easy to find just about anywhere that would do the trick. I think I may just go do a quick wand wash and then ONR at home during the winter when it's really dirty, but if I could do it all at home, even with a fairly dirty car, all the better.
If my car has mud, road grit or whatever it has picked up from wet weather driving, I'll pressure wash it first before the ONR wash just to blast off as much dirt as I can.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If my car has mud, road grit or whatever it has picked up from wet weather driving, I'll pressure wash it first before the ONR wash just to blast off as much dirt as I can.
Absolutely.

BUT, if you live in an area where this is forbidden or frowned on, you must do it clandestinely. I do a hose rinse first because I can (I am on a pump in a rural area).

The TW Rinse Free can take it from there. I am not fond of grinding bird poop into the paint and I would remove as much of that and other major grime by other means as possible. In this regard I think most polymer "rinse frees" are the same.

You don't have to rinse, hence the name, and that is the primary benefit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts