2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 5 door hatchback with 45000 miles on it. I checked the oil level on the car on Tuesday of this week and the dipstick was dry. I checked it when the engine was cold and happened to notice the oil filter was grimy. I rechecked again and the dipstick was dry; I filled it up to the first hashmark. Two weeks prior, I had checked it and it was fine. Last year in mid July I checked the dipstick and it read very low almost dry. Anyway, I had the car towed, Friday morning, to the dealer and had the car checked. They didn't find any leaks and said the oil filter was a little grimy from the previous oil change. I wasn't satisfied with their answer.... a car with this many miles should not be burning oil at all. I called Mazda Headquarters in Irvine and told the rep my side of the story and she quickly called the dealer letting them know of my complaint. I went to pick up the car. The service writer had the tech foreman explain to me the way the oil level is read on the dipstick and asked the question why was the dipstick dry. They said they couldn't answer that question and told me to read the oil level for the next two days and see if there were any changes if so to report it immediately. They also said that if it continues to do this more often they can have documentation of this and possibly be that this engine can be replaced for free even though its out of the warranty period. We'll see what happens.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Quick question. Powertrain is 60k. So its out because of date? If there is no leak its really burning the oil. Our old van with 80k did the same and needed the heads re worked. But i agree uncalled for with them miles. Have the oil changes been done on a regular basis? If so you may need reciepts to prove so. But stay persistant with mazda and maybe they will help you out.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Powertrain is 3yrs/36k

If theyre willing to give you a motor outside of warranty then by all means stay persistent before they change their mind

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I wanted to give an update on the oil reading. It's now reading properly maintaining its level.. I hope it stays that way

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
mine did this.. i didnt see this thread till now or else i would have replied..
it was reading low oil then i took it to the dealership and it was suddenly reading fine.. then i had a talk with the tech.. and he told me something interesting.. he said the oil sometimes read low but when the car is running and warms up the oil level rises... sooo i dunno how this works and my oil level has not gone down since that one time..

I hope yours stays the same :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
mine did this.. i didnt see this thread till now or else i would have replied..
it was reading low oil then i took it to the dealership and it was suddenly reading fine.. then i had a talk with the tech.. and he told me something interesting.. he said the oil sometimes read low but when the car is running and warms up the oil level rises... sooo i dunno how this works and my oil level has not gone down since that one time..

I hope yours stays the same :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Actually the proper way to ready your dipstick is to start the engine and let it run until your engine reaches the normal temperature (rpm dropped to 500-700 rpm) > turn off the engine then wipe the first dipstick reading> dip it again and it would tell you the accurate or true or level of the oil

Sent from my HTC One S using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the oil level was becoming low, to the point where the low oil light comes on, anytime between my oil changes of 3.5k miles then I would start to worry. My 2010 with a 2.5 motor reads low all the time no matter when I check it, however when I drain it its all there, not a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts