2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got around to test drive the Mazda 3 2.0 with all the tech features, and here are my impressions

The good
- Tech features are amazing, practical and work really well, from blind spot monitoring, to the active display to the adaptive cruise control, they work great!
- The ac is good, outside temp is 43c.
- MZD connect is good and smooth, it was on v28

The meh
- Sound quality is not that great, they will just have to do I guess .
- Rear visibility isn't great, but with back sensors and camera who cares.
- Road noise is high, engine noise is high when pushed, but with the ac blowing and music is high it's not an issue.

The bad
- ride quality, it's not just firm, you can feel the vibration through your legs when driving on a paved road, now I don't expect a Mercedes S class ride quality, but God damn! (Update: After I told the dealership to lower the tire pressure before my second test drive, they did and I measured one of the tires it was 37 Psi, the ride was substantially better)
- seats are stiff! I got the 2 tones leather seats (I assume those are the top of the range ones) but after just above 30 mins driving my back started to hurt, tried to adjust the seats multiple times but the part that is touching my middle and lower back is just not cosheny enough! Imo long trips would be a nightmare in those seats :/

I am by no means heavy or tall, 170 cm height and 70 kg weight

Overall I am disappointed in the ride quality and seats comfort I was expecting an acceptable level but it turned out to be worst, I guess they had to cut corners somewhere, just wish that they didn't cut THAT much.

I drove the Mazda 6 about 7 months ago, and ride quality and seats were far better (at least in my memory)

I will test drive the Mazda 6 and confirm. I guess I will be taking Better ride quality and more comfortable seats over Active Display and MZD connect.

Update:

I test drove the Mazda 6 2015 and Mazda 3 2015 Back to Back yesterday similar streets, a bit of highway and a bit of internal streets.

I test drove Mazda6 than Mazda3

Mazda6:

Ride quality was similar to Mazda3, there wasnt much difference also the seats were not as comfortable as I remember (I might have test drove previous model last time with different seats :confused: ), after driving the Mazda6 for 20 mins I got a back-ache on my upper back (on shoulder blades level)

I test drove 2.5L, 19" tires, with all the tech included. Tire pressure was 36 PSI on front tires.

Mazda3:

I told the dealership about my last Mazda 3 test drive and that the ride was very rough and I am suspecting that it is from the tires being over-inflated, so before test driving they have lowered the PSI, I checked it just before test driving to be sure, and it was on 37 on one of the tires so I decided to believe them.

There is a substantial improvement in ride quality, in my first Mazda3 test drive, i felt the rough ride on a perfectly paved road! on my second test drive the ride was not as rough as the first, it was at a very acceptable level, (did not feel strong vibrations in my legs)

Seats are still not forgiving though

All in all here is my final conclusion about my experience test driving both the 3 and the 6:
- Ride quality between Mazda6 and Mazda3 is not that different.
- Mazda6 is more spacious
- Mazda3 is cheaper, has Active Display and has a better Infotainment System

So for me, I concluded that there is no reason to get Mazda6 over Mazda3 unless you absolutely need the extra space, ride quality and seats comfort difference is not that big between both.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So I finally got around to test drive the Mazda 3 2.0 with all the tech features, and here are my impressions

The good
- Tech features are amazing, practical and work really well, from blind spot monitoring, to the active display to the adaptive cruise control, they work great!
- The ac is good, outside temp is 43c.
- MZD connect is good and smooth, it was on v28

The meh
- Sound quality is not that great, they will just have to do I guess .
- Rear visibility isn't great, but with back sensors and camera who cares.
- Road noise is high, engine noise is high when pushed, but with the ac blowing and music is high it's not an issue.

The bad
- ride quality, it's not just firm, you can feel the vibration through your legs when driving on a paved road, now I don't expect a Mercedes S class ride quality, but God damn!
- seats are stiff! I got the 2 tones leather seats (I assume those are the top of the range ones) but after just above 30 mins driving my back started to hurt, tried to adjust the seats multiple times but the part that is touching my middle and lower back is just not cosheny enough! Imo long trips would be a nightmare in those seats :/

I am by no means heavy or tall, 170 cm height and 70 kg weight

Overall I am disappointed in the ride quality and seats comfort I was expecting an acceptable level but it turned out to be worst, I guess they had to cut corners somewhere, just wish that they didn't cut THAT much.

I drove the Mazda 6 about 7 months ago, and ride quality and seats were far better (at least in my memory)

I will test drive the Mazda 6 and confirm. I guess I will be taking Better ride quality and more comfortable seats over Active Display and MZD connect.
sounds like the Mazda 6 is your calling

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah everything you mentioned as a bad for the 3 is why i bought one :) lol Honestly if you are wanting a car that size and not as big as a 6 and you are looking for that quite smooth ride of a luxury car.. you may want to try a corolla

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, go for a 6. The 3 is purposely a more sporty ride as it's targeting a different market (IE: me :D). Though they still don't have MZD connect :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is, I fell in love with Mazda 3 it's style, it's tech, it's price! I just didn't expect the ride quality to be such a downer for me ! Do you actually feel the road through your legs (noticeable vibrations through legs) when driving on paved roads? Or is it just the car I drove?

Screw Toyota I am not going to be a sheep :p besides I have to have those tech safety features, as I really do feel they help, and the only cars that have those and within reasonable price range are the Mazdas.

I will have to drive Mazda 6 and Mazda 3 back to back, there is something wrong, the ride quality can't be that different :/

·
Registered
370 Posts
The 3 allows you to feel the surface you're driving on very well. You can feel the gravel, rocks, uneven surfaces, etc. easily which is something I wanted in a car. Sure, it makes it less of a smooth ride, but I don't care. If you want a smooth ride regardless of where you're driving it on, do not get the Mazda 3. It was made for that purpose. Well, part of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I came from a 2008 Accord Coupe and noticed once driving my Mazda 3 S Touring that it's a whole lot smoother than my Accord ever was. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say you can feel everything. The dealership might have over-inflated the tires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I came from a BRZ and my wife drives a Prius. the 2014 3S I have which has lower profile tires than the 2.0 version rides much smoother than both cars.

One thing you might want to check next time is to bring a tire pressure gauge and make sure the tires are not over inflated. If they are at 40psi, the ride will be rougher.

p.s. agree with you that the mazda 6 seats are better quality in both leather and support.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Some people like a sportier ride, some like a smoother ride. Pick one ;)

I picked, and would always pick, the sporty one. A bit of road vibration is a small price to pay and, as some have said, actually a GOOD thing if you want to feel the road as much as possible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Feeling the road isn't a negative...... Knowing what your car is doing on the road makes the car feel more... Alive and active. I do wish it had a bit more deadening in the wheel areas and such but that's it. I agree check out a 6

·
Registered
87 Posts
Being that it is a test drive vehicle the dealer could have the tires overinflated on that car, seriously affecting ride quality.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You have to remember that in cars usually everything is a trade-off. If you want high MPG then the car needs to be lighter and the engine will typically have less HP. If you want less road noise then you need more insulation to absorb the road noise which adds weight and takes up more space. And of course there are more expensive materials available to solve most of these problems but then you have a car that costs another $2000 or more. You hear comments from many here that would like this or that feature added or different but I think for the most part most are very happy with their choice and would purchase again.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
@c0derr0r

Read my tire review on the Hankook tire. While I like the feel of the road, I also like a smoother ride. Changing the tire made a huge difference in the ride quality and that particular tire actually handles better as well. This just proved to me that it isn't the car, it is the poorer quality Dunlop tires they chose. Many of the 2.0's came with Yokohama's but the same thing might apply. You also need to be sure the tires are not overinflated. They are shipped with much higher pressure which should be lowered when testing the car. Overinflated tires give you a really jarring ride.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tire inflation is very important. Slightly higher inflation isn't too bad and can slightly increase mileage and sporty feel at the detrement of traction. Slightly lower inflation will produce better ride and traction, but at the expense of slight MPG and feel. Too much inflation (50 Debbadoo12, ykes!) is dangerous though, as is low pressure.

I personally wouldn't go more than + or - 3 PSI at max though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree, tire pressure, makes a difference. Mine was delivered with 42psi, and after readjusting, it made a difference, particularly in road noise. I, for one, enjoy the firmness and road feel, which equates to great handling. I bought a second 3, just for that reason. There are other cars, like the Corolla, that may have smoother rides, but they couldn't touch the 3's handling in the mountains where I live. It's all in personal preference and the ride you're looking for. Hope you find a car that makes you happy, the 3 isn't it, maybe a Corolla or Civic. I've owned one of each, they had smooth rides, but not great handling. Sounds like what you're looking for, check them out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try a Volkswagen Golf if you are looking for comfortable ride. They also handle quite well and feel very solid. Price I believe are little higher than MZ3

·
Registered
17 Posts
What you test drove...

I think what you test drove was the Mazda 3 sGT 2.5, based on the two tone real leather and 18" wheels. I have the leatherette seats (not real leather) in the sTouring model and find them very comfortable. You might want to try out the leatherette. Although the road noise and vibration are present, the Mazda 3 feels rock solid throughout. My last car translated road vibrations into what felt like re-entering earths atmosphere.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts