2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 2008 Mazda 3i with the 2.0 for 4 years now and it has 125,000 miles. Haven't had a single problem with it and love everything about it. Only hesitation I have with a 3rd gen would be the push button start. Just can't get over the fact that something as simple as a bad transmitter signal could keep my car from starting. Also read a review that they are a little slower than the older models. Any truth to this? What will I like/dislike about the newer models? Thanks!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
So I've had my 2008 Mazda 3i with the 2.0 for 4 years now and it has 125,000 miles. Haven't had a single problem with it and love everything about it. Only hesitation I have with a 3rd gen would be the push button start. Just can't get over the fact that something as simple as a bad transmitter signal could keep my car from starting. Also read a review that they are a little slower than the older models. Any truth to this? What will I like/dislike about the newer models? Thanks!
nah their quicker because skactiv provides more power and they cut weight out of the body by a large bit over the 08s my dad has a 14 6 touring with the 6 speed manual and it was quicker than my 08 3 2.3 hatch manual and my 2011 hatch 2.5 auto i had. i loved my 08 but totaled it i hated the 11 and traded it in for a bigger vehicle, but it was the ford transmission (which after 2013 and on any skyactiv models isnt an issue because mazda no longer uses Found On Road Dead parts.) the interiors are much nicer on the 3rd gens too. only thing i dont like is the way all car companies (mazda started it in 2015) are putting the radios in now, theyre just screens mounted on the dash, so changing to after market radio is a bitch if you wanted to. they really look just like they glued a tablet to the dash during the design phase and said, yeah that looks good lets go with it. Audi, vw, mazda, honda etc are all doing it now, but thats my only nitpick on the interior of the 15+ mazdas. the 3rd gen seats are much more comfortable, i liked the seats in my 08 but the 11 had leather ones and the bolstering was in bad spots for me. push button start tech has been around for awhile they have ways to start the car if issues arise which are rare. when the key fob battery dies on the 14+ you touch the fob to the push start button and then it allows you to start the car like normal (probably has a passive rf chip in the fob like the ones on clothes and stuff at stores that beep if you try to steal them) and a reader in the button mechanism. the fancy fob batteries do die every 6months to a year so stock up on batteries, this is common to any maker with "intelligent" entry since the fob is constantly broadcasting and looking for home (the car) the 11-13 with the smart entry if the fob battery died you had to take out the key and pop off a false cover on the steering column (where the non push button cars regular key turn ignition would have been) and simply insert the key from the fob into the slot you uncovered and then start the car with the push button. those are transponder keys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah their quicker because skactiv provides more power and they cut weight out of the body by a large bit over the 08s my dad has a 14 6 touring with the 6 speed manual and it was quicker than my 08 3 2.3 hatch manual and my 2011 hatch 2.5 auto i had. i loved my 08 but totaled it i hated the 11 and traded it in for a bigger vehicle, but it was the ford transmission (which after 2013 and on any skyactiv models isnt an issue because mazda no longer uses Found On Road Dead parts.) the interiors are much nicer on the 3rd gens too. only thing i dont like is the way all car companies (mazda started it in 2015) are putting the radios in now, theyre just screens mounted on the dash, so changing to after market radio is a bitch if you wanted to. they really look just like they glued a tablet to the dash during the design phase and said, yeah that looks good lets go with it. Audi, vw, mazda, honda etc are all doing it now, but thats my only nitpick on the interior of the 15+ mazdas. the 3rd gen seats are much more comfortable, i liked the seats in my 08 but the 11 had leather ones and the bolstering was in bad spots for me. push button start tech has been around for awhile they have ways to start the car if issues arise which are rare. when the key fob battery dies on the 14+ you touch the fob to the push start button and then it allows you to start the car like normal (probably has a passive rf chip in the fob like the ones on clothes and stuff at stores that beep if you try to steal them) and a reader in the button mechanism. the fancy fob batteries do die every 6months to a year so stock up on batteries, this is common to any maker with "intelligent" entry since the fob is constantly broadcasting and looking for home (the car) the 11-13 with the smart entry if the fob battery died you had to take out the key and pop off a false cover on the steering column (where the non push button cars regular key turn ignition would have been) and simply insert the key from the fob into the slot you uncovered and then start the car with the push button. those are transponder keys.
Thank you for your reply! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I also noticed how the radios look like they'd tip right over if you hit a bump lol Do the new ones have engine mount issues like on my 08? I've replaced it 3 times. I would probably try to relocate the front license plate too. Don't like the look of it in the middle of the grill.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Thank you for your reply! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I also noticed how the radios look like they'd tip right over if you hit a bump lol Do the new ones have engine mount issues like on my 08? I've replaced it 3 times. I would probably try to relocate the front license plate too. Don't like the look of it in the middle of the grill.
nope all the skyactiv motors have great engine mounts, that issue you can thank ford again for as it was their shitty design. the radio is mounted securely, but im just not a fan of where it is. especially if you ever want or need to replace it. my 08 i did the mounts on 2 times and once on my 2011. i would say go drive both the 2.0 and 2.5 motors and see which ones you prefer, the 2.5 has quite a bit more pick up but gets slightly lower mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts