2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the 3 but don't love the loss of storage, particularly door pockets. What are you all doing with your "stuff" that you may have kept in door pockets previously? I keep a little tool for dusting, a microfiber cloth, a fold-up rain jacket, and other stuff I like to have easily accessible. Would miss that but I"m sure I would learn to do without.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I do wish there are more storage but I don't keep much stuff in the car anyways. I do keep a bag of coins in my door cup holder for parking meters or if I want to pay exact change at a drive through :D

When I drive I don't like to keep anything in my pockets so I put my phone and wallet under the CD player and car key in that driver door handle area.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Heh this has been a slight concern for me too as I keep a K-BAR, Leatherman and a folding box cutter knife in my current cars driver side door and at least 1 other knife in my passengers door. I do like to store a wakizashi on the floor beside the drivers seat and door... Didn't really see room for that in the new 3 :sad 1:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The space isn't an issue for me. Since I always travel with my phone, I downloaded the owners manual PDF which saved me tons of space. However, I'm still looking for a good space for my sunglasses. I'm waiting for an accessory maker to make a sunglasses compartment that installs where the grab handle is. I've seen it for other cars, and think its a neat option.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Love the 3 but don't love the loss of storage, particularly door pockets. What are you all doing with your "stuff" that you may have kept in door pockets previously? I keep a little tool for dusting, a microfiber cloth, a fold-up rain jacket, and other stuff I like to have easily accessible. Would miss that but I"m sure I would learn to do without.
The door pockets hold my bottled water (stay hydrated yall) and a mircrofiber towel. I would have preferred the longer more conventional style but the pods in our cars suffice just fine...at least in my case.

Everything else gets stored in the center console compartment, glove box, and trunk.

Heres the breakdown:

Door pockets:
Driver side - bottled water, microfiber cloth
Passenger side - bottled water, microfiber cloth

Center console compartment:
Coin purse
LED mini flashlight
Latex examination gloves
sock

Glovebox:
Proof of insurance
Registration
Accident forms

Trunk:
Spare tire
Jack
tools
Rope
Duct tape
Zip ties
Jumper cables
Self defense items

·
Registered
14 Posts
i definitely would agree on this! I wished we had door pockets instead of the cup holder pocket... Having the door pocket is really helpful since i can put microfiber cloth and other small stuff on it.. :(

Wish also the center console compartment was bigger too..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess there are plenty of auto organizers so it's not really that big of a deal. I've seen some that actually slide up under the seats, assuming there is enough room under the seats. Of course, there are always the kind that strap on the seat back or seat front. I just don't really like the look of those hanging from my seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought the 2014 Mazda3 a few weeks ago, and while it is much better than the 2006 Mazda3 that it replaced, I am bothered by the lack of storage space.

I am one of the many people who will never use the CD player. I do not know why they did not make the CD player an option and for those that do not need it, provide more storage in the location where the CD player is located.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The BMW i had came with a center storage where the Mazda's cup holders are. So I don't have that space anymore. The former's cup holders were trays hidden into the dash, you pressed and they slid out. Best design ever.

The Mazda's door pocket is basically a water bottle holder. Useless. Now I have to throw everything on the front seat. Up comes a turn and all my sh*t flies off.

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
The BMW i had came with a center storage where the Mazda's cup holders are. So I don't have that space anymore. The former's cup holders were trays hidden into the dash, you pressed and they slid out. Best design ever.

The Mazda's door pocket is basically a water bottle holder. Useless. Now I have to throw everything on the front seat. Up comes a turn and all my sh*t flies off.
Every time I did a hard turn in the E90 the cups would fall out of the hidden trays :(. I wish Mazda had the cup holders in front of the shift knob, this way they could have a larger center console for storing stuff.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah, but those would be useless for storing 32-44oz/~1 liter drinks!

I'm not married to the cup holder behind the shifter arrangement, but it's pretty much mandated by big drinks...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Every time I did a hard turn in the E90 the cups would fall out of the hidden trays :(. I wish Mazda had the cup holders in front of the shift knob, this way they could have a larger center console for storing stuff.
Oh haha. Not sure but I think that only happened to me when I had a full .5L water bottle.

yeah that is wasted space in front of the shifter. You put small things there and they're not secure and they manage to crawl under and behind the CD player slot. :angry 1:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I keep as little as possible in my car cuz I hate when everything shifts around on tight corners, and this car loves corners. I have sunglasses that I never use in the driver side bottle holder, flashlight, pocket knife and latex gloves in the glove box, gum in the rear console cup holder, and usually my coffee in the front one in the mornings, some change in the removable tray in the center storage bin, along with pens, a razor blade, and hand sanitizer, and in the backseat I have a ton of legal papers completely unorganized, oops, and my gym gloves, cuz you always gotta be prepared to lift, BRO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts