2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine only happened when I was sharply turning (right or left) while going downhill or at a high speed. It's the next owners problem now.
Yeah man, I drive several levels up a parking garage where I work each day. Going up and down and turning sharply often was driving me nuts. It's been a week and the problem has appeared since.

***Crossing my fingers***

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks a lot! @LS1Jabroni I'll be calling my dealership shortly.
No problem. Remember the key is re-creating the noise. If your problem is as bad as mine was, I would suggest getting either the manager or one of the tech's in your backseat and making it happen. If they say that's normal do the same thing in another one of their cars on the lot and challenge them with that.

Normal vs. not normal was changing on a daily basis. I told them this is a safety issue and I'm not comfortable with it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
"seat track" in the entire assembly that bolts to the floor (4 bolts) and to the seat. Comes in a big box, and costs ~400 bucks. Like I said before, MAKE SURE they install the plastic butt plugs on the rear ends of the seat rails.

I have bad news for you guys.

I read the reviews of the new Mazda6 on a russian site. Not a marketing blurb, but a maintainability review. They had a picture of the same @#$%ing washers, same damn seat track design. They say that Mazda does not design the seats for larger guys. This is factual, not derogatory, since you can be tall and full of muscle and weight a lot. The effect on the seat is the same.

Although I do not know for a fact, I think the new "3" uses the same seat rail design as the old one. Sadly, if this is true, my next car will not be a Mazda. I can live with hard plastic, not completely ergonomic interior controls, but not a $%^ing seat that falls apart under NORMAL driving conditions inside 40K km of city driving.

On my Protege, I had a weld joint break, which was a $30 fix, at 80K km. No other issues with the seat. On this one, the fabric is worn on bolsters, the left bolster is collapsed, I know the seat is a time bomb.

What good is the the nice suspension on this car, if I am afraid to corner in it, for a fear of breaking the seat?

</rant>

·
Registered
166 Posts
Resurrected this thread because I just bought a used 2012 MS3 and noticed the seat rocking today. Gonna head to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So I took it to the dealer Saturday. They said they couldn't find the problem or what was causing the loose seat. Offerred no solution

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is doing it too. I guess I noticed it around 500 miles...or a couple weeks of owning it. I have held off taking it to the dealer because I am busy for one thing, and I figure they will give me the same bull you got....sad to hear they weren't more helpful, or could not offer any solution/advice.

I may investigate further and see if I can engineer my own solution when time allows...I will also report back but it might be a little while. Wife keeps filling up the calendar....

·
Registered
750 Posts
My car has been solid for 4 years and 38K miles...until just a few weeks ago. No my seat moves as well.

I don't notice it all the time and it's not the point that I can move teh seat easily. I just get a side-to-side jerk when braking and going into a turn. The seat makes a poping noise and shifts a fraction of an inch.

Really annoying since it seems the chances of a successful repair are pretty slim...and I'm out of warranty

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seems like the earlier Gen2's had a weld that would pop in the seat track causing some side-to-side movement, also some washers that were missing. What I have is a fore-and-aft (rocking chair) type of movement. It is pretty slight, and I do not notice while driving, but it is pretty disappointing and it scares me that it will just get worse....

·
Registered
216 Posts
What I have is a fore-and-aft (rocking chair) type of movement. It is pretty slight, and I do not notice while driving, but it is pretty disappointing and it scares me that it will just get worse....
This was the exact issue I was having... until Monday. I sat in my car after work and heard a loud POP next thing I know, I was leaning back G style in my driver seat. Apparently, according to the service tech at my dealership, the welds broke and required a whole new seat rail.

Luckily i'm about 300 miles shy of being out of warranty!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just remember, this is a TSB which means your car doesn't have to fall within the warranty timeframe. Any Mazda dealer is supposed to fix without question. If they don't they are lying to you and just don't want to pay out of their pocket.

Since the fix I have had zero issues with the seat to this day! *knock on wood

T.S.B. 0906109

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had the power driver seat assembly in my 2012 replaced under Mazda Added Protection, the seat back was completely loose on the left side. So nice sitting on a solid seat again that doesn't squeak at every corner. Not sure what was retained from the old seat aside from the leather. Kinda glad I bought the MAP now though.

T.S.B. 0906109 appears to only cover gen 1 Mazda 3s and other Mazdas of that time. My Mazda 5 exhibited that lower seat back and forth symptom, but my car was out of warranty and TSBs unfortunately do not apply in Canada for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 Grand Touring with powered leather seats, heated, air bag, memory seat position function. My seat started this rocking motion very slightly and it got progressively worse! Well, took out the seat today thinking it could be loose or fallen out bolts. Nope, on the front right of the drivers seat, there's a bracket that controls the height adjustment of the seat and is a weight bearing bracket as well. It broke right in the middle of the weld. I took the seat to a muffler shop, paid $25 bucks, and they mig welded the bracket where it broke with a thicker stronger weld. Reinstalled seat and its sturdy and strong now...no rocking back and forth anymore! A used seat was going to run me $250! I repaired it for $25 and a 12 pack of Bud Light!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Mazda 3 driver's seat "rocks"

I am finally going to have that seat track replaced ($1,158.00) because my Mom borrowed my car at the last minute to get to an appointment and noticed the seat was wo
wobbly -

my question: have any of you who had Lo-Jack installed in your cars? what if the Lo-Jack tech removes the driver's seat to put the device in there and they mess up the track somehow?

I bought my 2004 Mazda 3 in 2007 - it had Lo-Jack installed but I have never activated it - I understand that when Lo-Jack devices are installed, it is a sort of top-secret installation where they do not divulge where the device is installed.

If this is a Mazda manufacturing defect and it is surely a safety hazard to have the seat track not working properly, shouldn't this be a recall item?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Mazda 3 driver's seat "rocks"

I am finally going to have that seat track replaced ($1,158.00) because my Mom borrowed my car at the last minute to get to an appointment and noticed the seat was wo
wobbly -

my question: have any of you who had Lo-Jack installed in your cars? what if the Lo-Jack tech removes the driver's seat to put the device in there and they mess up the track somehow?

I bought my 2004 Mazda 3 in 2007 - it had Lo-Jack installed but I have never activated it - I understand that when Lo-Jack devices are installed, it is a sort of top-secret installation where they do not divulge where the device is installed.

If this is a Mazda manufacturing defect and it is surely a safety hazard to have the seat track not working properly, shouldn't this be a recall item?
The problem is that unless this is deemed as an actual safety hazard they won't do anything about it. To them is just a "deal with it" thing, to me is a strong "won't buy Mazda again", at least not a Mazda 3, would probable move to an SVU. I love my Mazda, best HB I've had but this type of things are deal breaker for me, my OCD won't let me ignore it :(.

As an update, I have a 2017 3 model and this problem is still a thing in the newer generation, I friend of mine has a 2018, the one with the face uplift and he has the same problem. They just don't care about it, they are using the same part from the older generations.

I did remove the seat and I can confirm that the problem is located on the 4 big screws that are at each corner. I was able to put a pressure bolt (the ones that come with the washer) on the two screws at the front but the ones in the back don't have the extra length, I added Loctite in hopes that it won't happen again. The problem has gone away at the front but I could not add the Loctite at the back so it still moves a bit, I did not want to mess up the head of the screw, I'll try again later if the problem increases again after this "fix".

I found that if I lift the seat a bit it does not move unless I heavy brake. I'm 6" so it doesn't bother me that much but I can imagine that anyone taller will not be able to do the same.

I hope this update help some of you, I did find the information on this thread rather helpful, cheers.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts