2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Crappy design

Gets even worse....
Mine rocks side to side when cornering hard. Sounds like bowling ball moving to one side. Looked into this and found that the attachment points for the seat to the rails in the rear are secured by 2 washers - a nylon one to the rail, and then a 4-prong locking washer. Another words - only friction in that washer holds the seat against side load when cornering....

I found the washer on the carpet in the car, but even when you put it in place, there is a certain amount of play side to side. Try this: grab the rear of the seat cushion right at its rear edge and slide it left to right.

The Mazda TSB for the seat basically tells them to check the attachment points of the rails to the floor, which does not resolve the problem at all.

Very annoying. And mine does not rock only in the uppermost height position, however with this stupid design of higher = closer, I cannot drive in that position (I am 6'1''). My protege used to have separate adjustments for height and reach......<:crybaby 1:>

Yes, if I was a sedate driver weighing 120lbs or so, this might not even be noticeable....alas....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get rocking and a clinking sound in my '12 sky. Had the dealer look during my first oil change. They pulled up a brand new sky, same thing. Nohing for thrm to do since its how the new cars come. One of my only beefs with this car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I haven't had this problem in our '11 2.5 hatchback (manual seat adjust), unless I don't lock the seat in place after I adjust the seat....then I get a one-time "click" when the seat locks itself into the selected fore/aft adjustment position. Dealers will tell their customers anything to rid themselves of a complaint.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is the pic of the culprit for side to side sliding. Went to the dealer this morning. Funny that - their drawings now show you need 2 of these on the shaft..... Either quiet switch, or mine was assembled after lunch and sake on Friday, so they only put one in on each side. This is looking from the middle to the rails. Need to jack the seat all the way up and remove a trim piece attached to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is the pic of the culprit for side to side sliding. Went to the dealer this morning. Funny that - their drawings now show you need 2 of these on the shaft..... Either quiet switch, or mine was assembled after lunch and sake on Friday, so they only put one in on each side. This is looking from the middle to the rails. Need to jack the seat all the way up and remove a trim piece attached to it.

Alexb2, I think you are on to something. Clearly you are on to something. Weeks ago I actually got so frustrated that I started just feeling around all around trying to see if something was missing (like a bolt, washer, etc.). I felt something that looked like your picture towards the rear of the seat where it attached to the rails.

Did this finally fix your problem, or are you saying they only put 1 washer when it really needs 2 and you have to go back? Even if I have to go to Ace Hardware and buy my own metal washers or something I want to make sure this gets fixed so I don't have to sell the car. Drivers seats do NOT have bushings, so flexability upon normal driving is crazy!

Thanks man!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The factory put one washer. The current drawing at the dealer calls for two. These are facts, I cannot draw conclusions.....Any of this "push-nut" arrangement is temporary anyway, it is a stupidity to expect it to hold the load in the direction along the axis. Any engineer will tell you that such attachment prevents separation of two parts only in the direction perpendicular to the axis of the pivot.

We are going to try doing the Russian fix to the Japanese design dud. Several options, possibly a drill-thru and a cotter pin, or a replacement bolt / nut combo.

The pin is not cast with the seat frame, it is press-fit there (which can been seen from the outside of the seat).

Bloody nuisances, and things that make you go WTF?

Will post an update....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could not get the pin out, and not enough room to drill in place. I think I will just keep replacing these pushnuts - cheap and cheesy. Not something I expected of Mazda....

More bad news. There are two more of these in the front. Essentially, the seat is held to the rails by one of these pushnuts per corner. My left front one is also loose. The front ones you can easily see if you jack up the seat and go under there. There is something that looks like a swaybar with these pins at endlinks.

:mad 1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was too busy to look at the seat this past weekend. I definitely want to jack up the seat and check out the pushnuts like you described above. I might just rent an arc welder this weekend and go to town! Kidding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update - I finally got 2 pushnuts per side. Seems to do the trick for now - we will see.

Some points:

1. This is infinitely easier if you take out the seat. Follow the blurb in the manual, but in general:
a. Unplug the negative battery term,wait 5 minutes. This is to make sure you don't deploy seat airbags
b. Remove driver's headrest (trust me)
c. Unplug the connector harness from seat bottom. Do not remove the connector block itself from the bracket on the seat.
d. REmove 4 plastic covers over the bolts that hold the seat to the floor. Undo the bolts. Metric 14, all right thread (meaning CCW to loosen), might need an impact wrench.
e. Pull the seat out of the car, put a barstool in its place (just kidding....)
f. Jack the seat all the way up
g. Remove 2 plastic shields that block the rear pushnuts (philips screw on the outside, plastic pushpin on the other side, funky atachment on rear of the seat. I broke one of the tabs trying NOT to remove these. Do not fold them out of your way.
h. When you remove the old loose pushnuts, try not to damage the nylon washer underneath.
i. When you put the new pushnut on, use a socket head to hammer it in place, but also get a wisegrip to hold together the two mating parts - the seat lifter (looks like a stabilizer bar) and the seat rails - this way the pin sticks out properly, and you can hammer the pushnut all the way onto it. You will see how things wobble otherwise - try it.
j. Install in reverse order.

Part numbers: nylon washer: BBM4-88-044, metal pushnut: BBM4-88-356.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Alexb2,

How has the seat been holding up? Knock on wood, but I figured that even after you replaced those nylon washers, they would break again within a week or two!

I need to take my car if for some work and I was planning on printing your instructions out above and making them fix this instead since you are even using mazda parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Still holding actually. The damn seat still feels loose back and forth though, bit there is nothing we can do. It rocks in the same attachment points. Also, it is crunchy behind my left shoulderblade, which I attribute to the cavities around the seat air bag - something I did not have in my P5.

But yes - what I did seems to have solved the side-sweep problem.

If they do it, check if they remove the seat (they better do - it is easier that way). Check if they use an impact wrench to take off the bolts. Maybe when they tighten them, they can just use a manual torque wrench.....So that you can loosen them yourself next time round.

FWIW, I spend a good 2 hours in the saddle daily.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update, I just left my local dealer. Took it in for the first oil change and had them look at the seat rocking issue, after looking they came back with, "that isn't right and we can't find the problem, so (this is the point I got worried) we're going to replace the entire mount and track assembly.". That was easy, right? Now I'm waiting for the parts to come in and find out if it solves the problem. I'll update again when everything is replaced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update, I just left my local dealer. Took it in for the first oil change and had them look at the seat rocking issue, after looking they came back with, "that isn't right and we can't find the problem, so (this is the point I got worried) we're going to replace the entire mount and track assembly.". That was easy, right? Now I'm waiting for the parts to come in and find out if it solves the problem. I'll update again when everything is replaced.
Good Luck to ya. Trouble is - the seat gets looser with time (# of ass-hours). Mine was not moving at all when the car was new....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Mzada 3 Sky has a power leather seat. Rocks back and forth. Had it to dealer three times. First they told me it was normal, that didn't work with me so they put in a new seat track. Long stor,y but that made it worse. I was told that Mazda was working on the problem, that they have an updated seat track coming.
Anyone esle hear anything like this. Other than that I really like the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sh*t yeah! Do the search man. Reading this makes me stop and think about NOT getting them to replace the track.... Very annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rocking driver's seat

I have only had my 2012 Mazda3 Sport since Oct. 11 (last month), and my driver's seat rocks back and forth, probably about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. I notice it when I back up and then apply the brakes, or when I step on the gas while at a stop. It is a little disconcerting. Standing outside the car, I can take hold of the front of the seat and the top of the backrest, and rock the seat without the track moving, just the seat and backrest. I have heated leather seats with the power adjusters. After reading all of the comments here, I don't know what to do. Someone said that the dealer repair made it worse, someone else said a fix was in the works. I am concerned that if it is like this now, what will it be like 2, 3, 6 years down the road?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can tell you it will get worse. Very annoying when I press the clutch in at the light, and get a jerk in the left buttcheek (rthe seat moved forward with the brakes application before).....

I maintain that this is a shitty design, which basically consists of long shoulders on all 4 corners, making long levers, plus the shitty attachment mechanism for the seat to the track via the lifter - pin in hole held by a spring washer.

Shame on Mazda. My protege seat never rocked, not after 7 years and >230lbs of me.

Thinking of drilling through and attaching a cotter pin plus some washers, or even welding the lifter shut in one position... next spring when the warranty is out.

Somewhat reassuring that this is not just me with manual seats.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joined the forum based just on this thread...

I have a 2011 with cloth manual seats. There was no play when I bought the car. I know because I'm pretty sensitive to it, and would not have purchased the car. For one, it bugs the shit out of me, and two, I've worked as a dealer mechanic fixing problems like this.

I've probably replaced twenty Infiniti seat frames for having less play that mine now has with ~16k miles.

It is 100% in the up and down adjustment mechanism, which has been all the way down on my car since day one. I'm 6'3" and about 220lbs.

I'm dreading even starting the process of forcing someone to fix this. If nothing else, I'll demand that Mazda provide me with a seat without the stupid up/down adjuster. I'm willing to bet they exist- if nothing else, they can ship over the passenger seat from a RHD model.

All I want is a working part. If they won't accommodate me on this, they can enjoy taking the car back under the lemon law...

I know I'm awful aggravated for not even having started to pursue this. Should just give an idea as to the shit I will stir up once I do. Blargh...such a stupid problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Joined the forum based just on this thread...

I have a 2011 with cloth manual seats. There was no play when I bought the car. I know because I'm pretty sensitive to it, and would not have purchased the car. For one, it bugs the shit out of me, and two, I've worked as a dealer mechanic fixing problems like this.

I've probably replaced twenty Infiniti seat frames for having less play that mine now has with ~16k miles.

It is 100% in the up and down adjustment mechanism, which has been all the way down on my car since day one. I'm 6'3" and about 220lbs.

I'm dreading even starting the process of forcing someone to fix this. If nothing else, I'll demand that Mazda provide me with a seat without the stupid up/down adjuster. I'm willing to bet they exist- if nothing else, they can ship over the passenger seat from a RHD model.

All I want is a working part. If they won't accommodate me on this, they can enjoy taking the car back under the lemon law...

I know I'm awful aggravated for not even having started to pursue this. Should just give an idea as to the shit I will stir up once I do. Blargh...such a stupid problem.
Lucky sods - you HAVE a lemon law in US. We do not......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Found this thread and I'm having the same problem. Bought a new '12 iGT with leather power seats last week. I have less than 500 miles on it now, but the seat rocking is really getting to me. I am a safety engineer, and I have done a lot of work with automotive seating systems. This is not normal and not acceptable to me. My previous car was a 2005 Mazda3s and the seats were rock solid.

I am going to call my dealer and see what they can do, but it sounds like it is just a poor design issue. If they can't fix it, I may have to go the lemon law route. Over time, the constant rocking will create a significant wear situation and may eventually cause something to fail. I see this as a serious safety concern.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts