2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
'10 Mazda 3 S Sport 6 spd
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver seat feels loose and rocks back and forth while I am driving vehilce. I
am concerned seat will not hold up in accident. Sat in similar car at dealer
with same problem.

Anyone have similar concern?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do you have the power seats? I don't notice mine moving at all. Are able to rock the seat back and forth by hand?

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
dont have that problem in mine. I don't havve power seats though...maybe thats the issue? I'd take it to the dealer ASAP, and then try and get them to throw in some kind of upgrade for your "safety troubles". Tell them something like "I was going 75 on the freeway, and then my seat started rattling, and I feared for my life. I'm just not sure I can drive this car in this condition, and its a shame, because I really trust this dealership's great reputation for giving their customers the best. If I would have gotten hurt, I'd hate to think of the legal issues we'd have to go through."

Say that, and they will most likely give you something for your troubles. You didnt insult them, but you were conveying to them that they can potentially lose your good word about the dealership, and most dealerships will do whatever is necessary to rectify the situation. I used to work at Infiniti, and we did this all the time to satisfy customers.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have the S Sport cloth seats. They rock back and forth regardless of speed (high or low) and when parked. Will take the car to the dealer. Did report this to NHTSA and contacted Mazda USA customer support. Dealer already looked at vehicle.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline. The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view. Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online. You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: xxxxxxxx

Your complaint information will be entered into the NHTSA vehicle owner complaint database. NHTSA technical staff review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends. Also, the NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.

If you have any questions regarding this complaint, please contact ODI:

By phone: 1-888-327-4236 8:00AM to 10:00PM Monday-Friday
TTY: 1-888-424-9153
Have your ODI Number available.
(Spanish-speaking operators available)

By e-mail: ODI - Office of Defects Investigation
Indicate your ODI Number in the contact form.

Thank you,

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline. The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view. Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online. You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: xxxxxxxx

Your complaint information will be entered into the NHTSA vehicle owner complaint database. NHTSA technical staff review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends. Also, the NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.

If you have any questions regarding this complaint, please contact ODI:

By phone: 1-888-327-4236 8:00AM to 10:00PM Monday-Friday
TTY: 1-888-424-9153
Have your ODI Number available.
(Spanish-speaking operators available)

By e-mail: ODI - Office of Defects Investigation
Indicate your ODI Number in the contact form.

Thank you,

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
Awesome, looks like you're on your way!

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jsfried

The base of the seat moves in a forward/ rear motion similar to a rocking chair. Seat back feels firm and seems to remain in place.

Matthew

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer said motion is normal on non-power seat models (I have the S Sport). They also said other cars on the lot do it and that's how Mazda built it. Good news is I have paperwork showing brought problem to attention of dealer. Waiting to hear back from Mazda. May have to send certified letter to get them to respond.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Dealer said motion is normal on non-power seat models (I have the S Sport). They also said other cars on the lot do it and that's how Mazda built it. Good news is I have paperwork showing brought problem to attention of dealer. Waiting to hear back from Mazda. May have to send certified letter to get them to respond.
I have the 3i Touring, and I have no movement in the seat at all, unless I pull the lever to adjust the distance from the steering wheel and pedals. This sounds strange to me!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the power seat and when I stop fairly abruptly, there's a clunk from the seat like it just leaned forward a little bit and hit a stop or something. Kind of annoying. I've been meaning to check and make sure it's not loose where it's bolted to the floor.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it's odd to have a seat rock forward and back. Dealer says it's how Mazda built the car and Mazda USA says to have dealer look at it. Classic back and forth.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
yes, it's odd to have a seat rock forward and back. Dealer says it's how mazda built the car and mazda usa says to have dealer look at it. Classic back and forth.
ftw?!?!?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Resurrecting this thread... Has anyone had any luck with their dealer fixing the loose/rocking seat. They removed and reinstalled mine 6 months ago, which seemed to help a little, but it has gotten worse again. They looked at it today and proclaimed there's nothing wrong and no service bulletins on it. It happens on any mildly hard stop or corner now. Between that and a wicked console rattle I can't beat, I feel like the car is going to fall apart at any point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Taking a stab at resurrecting this thread too. I got a used 2010 MS3 back in March and noticed this too, though not right away which is too bad because this is normally a make it or break it for getting a car.

I had to determine myself that anytime the seat is at the maximum level down or up, I don't notice any movement. However if you jack the seat up or down even one notch then this occurs. The dealer seemed completely aware and couldn't do anything to fix it. I was thinking maybe there was just some assembly that could have been replaced inside the seat that dealt with the height adjustment.

Has anyone else on here had any luck with getting this resolved through Mazda or any other recommendations (besides getting a new car, lol)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone else on here had any luck with getting this resolved through Mazda or any other recommendations (besides getting a new car, lol)?

Thanks.
I eventually fixed my console rattle but never the seat issue. I went the "getting a new car" route. :yes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a "clunk" noise in my seat when I am cornering or stopping abruptly. Noticeable to the point where I thought I left a bottle under the seat. Couldn't find anything obvious. Dealer says they never heard of it.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Check under the seat vents you can pull up and usually things roll under and to the back!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a '12 i GT with leather and power seats, I have mentioned to my wife several times that i thought the seat was loose but she says see doesn't notice it. There is definitely a certain "looseness" to the seat though, I notice it mostly in the base but the seat back seems to move with it. Without looking at all I assumed it was the just the mounts, that exactly what it feels like. I'm thinking now that it may be something with the mechanics of the seat itself, either way I'm just waiting until I take it in for the first oil change and I'll have them look at it then.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My '10 GT with leather power seats has rocked since new. I don't notice it at all while driving, only when I am shifting in the seat. It is a non-issue for me so I have not even reported it.

Edmunds.com long term '12 GT Sky has the same issue and Mazda told them that Corp. in Japan is working on a permanent fix. I hope the 6 speed 2nd gear grind gets enough attention for them to work on a permanent fix. :)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts