2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I recently purchased a '15 sGT and I've been getting slightly irritated with the clutch pedal. At first, I thought there was a tactile click and had my dealer check it out and they didn't hear/feel anything abnormal.

Now after driving it a few days, the entire pedal feels very loose and I think the click I felt was the pedal moving from side to side. If I take my hand, I can jiggle the pedal from left to right. In comparison, the brake pedal moves very slightly and feels more solid.

This has been annoying as I'm coming from a Saab that had a heavy, but solid feeling clutch that didn't budge at all. Right now in the Mazda I can feel all the small vibrations from the engine in my foot and it just doesn't feel solid.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hello all,

I recently purchased a '15 sGT and I've been getting slightly irritated with the clutch pedal. At first, I thought there was a tactile click and had my dealer check it out and they didn't hear/feel anything abnormal.

Now after driving it a few days, the entire pedal feels very loose and I think the click I felt was the pedal moving from side to side. If I take my hand, I can jiggle the pedal from left to right. In comparison, the brake pedal moves very slightly and feels more solid.

This has been annoying as I'm coming from a Saab that had a heavy, but solid feeling clutch that didn't budge at all. Right now in the Mazda I can feel all the small vibrations from the engine in my foot and it just doesn't feel solid.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks.

Is it going click click click like a loose bolt or is it just swaying. If it's swaying the metal it's mounted do might be swaying. These cars use a hydraulic clutch line so it's likely mounted to a piston of some sort. Take a flashlight Climb under there and see what's actually bending by following the clutch metal. It could be the bushing or piston is loose on the engine bay side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it going click click click like a loose bolt or is it just swaying. If it's swaying the metal it's mounted do might be swaying. These cars use a hydraulic clutch line so it's likely mounted to a piston of some sort. Take a flashlight Climb under there and see what's actually bending by following the clutch metal. It could be the bushing or piston is loose on the engine bay side.
There are a couple of clicks: one at the highest point of the travel which I assume is the clutch engage switch. And one small one at the bottom of the travel.

I dove under and looked at the clutch pedal . The metal mounting bracket isn't budging at all. Its just the pedal that moves a few millimeters left and right. It looks like the mount isn't holding it tight enough to prevent it from moving a little to the left and right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone else experienced vibrations and small tactile clicks in their clutch pedals? It's especially noticeable when changing gears.

It's getting to the point where I'm constantly annoyed by all the vibrations I'm feeling through the pedal. I've never experienced this in any other car before (and my main car has been a manual for 11 years now).

I'm really wondering if this has anything to do with the clutch being a plastic composite material instead of metal. This is the first time I've ever seen a pedal made of a composite material.

I'm bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it again.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Has anyone else experienced vibrations and small tactile clicks in their clutch pedals? It's especially noticeable when changing gears.

It's getting to the point where I'm constantly annoyed by all the vibrations I'm feeling through the pedal. I've never experienced this in any other car before (and my main car has been a manual for 11 years now).

I'm really wondering if this has anything to do with the clutch being a plastic composite material instead of metal. This is the first time I've ever seen a pedal made of a composite material.

I'm bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it again.
Plastic would actually be less likely to transfer vibrations. Most likely whatever bushing or washer they normally have there is not and it's allowing the mount to move.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first instinct was to say the actually pedal/clutch arm? because of the funny plastic. I went to install pedals the other day and realized it was all shitty plastic. Not something I would cheap out on in my opinion. I suppose the likelihood of failure is still low but couldn't that stuff get brittle of a few years!

I noticed mine had play in it, but nothing that would make me worry.

Hope it all works out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first instinct was to say the actually pedal/clutch arm? because of the funny plastic. I went to install pedals the other day and realized it was all shitty plastic. Not something I would cheap out on in my opinion. I suppose the likelihood of failure is still low but couldn't that stuff get brittle of a few years!

Hope it all works out!
Thanks for the response. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic gave me this ridiculous speech on how my expectations were too high for the car I'm driving. I proceeded to call Mazda and they confirmed there shouldn't be any clicks/abnormal vibrations in the pedal. They recommended I take it to another dealer (but I'm going to call back and tell them that's really hard since the next dealer is 35 miles away)

Can you hear/feel any clicks in your pedal? There's a couple at the top of the travel and some right in the middle. I notice them mostly when I'm in 1st accelerating slowly or when I'm doing normal shifting between gears.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Hope it all works out!
Not all plastic is that cheap. Our bumpers are in horrible temperature/UV sun conditions and get rocks thrown at them constantly and they still hold up ok for the life of a car (unless the rocks are fast/big enough to dent). I wouldn't be concerned as long as it's not the plastic grade used in McDonald's toys.

It's like people complaining about it with phones, but then Apple's iphone 6 plus was made out of aluminum and had bending/warping issues even though similar sized plastic phones do not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts