2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just wanted to quickly show something that apparently is a common problem on our car. So I lent my car to my neighbour for the past month as his car broke down. One night when I went to use it I noticed that the lid on the center console was completely loose. Firstly he broke the tab that kept it locked in place, secondly the hinge was only hooked in on one side. When I went to buy a new lid, one of the techs was saying the pins that go into the hinge often back out. At that point without taking anything apart yet, I wasn't sure if the pin had backed out, or he broke the pin altogether.

Following the service manual, the part is actually referred to as the, "rear console". All you do is take the felt mat out of the bin to reveal two screws. Unscrew them, and the rest is held in by tabs.

Next carefully remove the "upper panel" (the panel that surrounds the infotainment commander) by loosening the e-brake boot and gently prying off the panel from back to front. I had to squeeze my fingers under the panel to push the tabs inwards while pulling up. Jiggling it helps. Look underneath and undo the one harness for the commander.

Next remove the SD card panel by slipping a flathead into the top edge to pry off (underneath the "clip A" text boxes). Look underneath and undo 3 harnesses for the cig lighter, SD slot, and USB.

Pull the sides of the rear console outwards and pull the whole thing back.

With the bin now off the car, I removed the cover on the backside to reveal the hinge, and the pin did indeed back off on one side. I thought it was one pin that slides through the hinge, but in actuality it is two. I swapped the lid and tapped the pin back into place and put everything back together in the reverse order.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I also had my pin come loose and the lid was wobbly. Dealer fixed it for me while I was getting an oil change. Seems common huh?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also had my pin come loose and the lid was wobbly. Dealer fixed it for me while I was getting an oil change. Seems common huh?
From the sounds of it I wasn't the first one to report that problem to the dealership. Easy fix though, no biggie.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OP, how did you make your seats red?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can also do this without removing the console. from sitting in the back seat carefully pry off the back of the console box tap the pins back in and it's fixed.
I wish someone had told me that before I ripped everything apart.

OP, how did you make your seats red?
Custom leather.

·
Registered
574 Posts
you can also do this without removing the console. from sitting in the back seat carefully pry off the back of the console box tap the pins back in and it's fixed.
You sir, are one of the worlds most beautiful people. LOL :)
I just popped the back off this evening to fix my lid wobble. The one pin was halfway out. Just opened the lid and gently popped it off from there. Went back with ease and everything is nice and secure, like it just came off the lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a word of caution, LOL - I pushed the pins back in with the lid open. There's a stop on the underside of the lid that has to be in the closed position in order for the lid to properly operate. Fortunately, one of my pins was still sticking out just a bit, so I pulled it out again and I was able to make the adjustment. Thanks for this great thread! Easy peasy fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2015 touring manual.
Seems I pressed a little too hard on the command module big control knob while messing with the Nav. The whole panel fell into the center console well. :( It was easy enough to remove the plastic console cover with fingers (amenity box lid open), disconnect the wiring harness to the control unit. I snapped the module back into place & replaced the top of the console only to see the rearward portion of the module was loose again.
Took it apart again. this time I LOOKED at how it secured : by two small tabs on the front and two pieces of TAPE covered with a blue felt & black felt patch. HOW CHEAP CAN YOU GET??? No wonder it pushed right in.

I replaced the two way tape, used the same felt & put some first-aid fabric tape on a couple more seams of the module and re-assembled. Its holding so far. Watch when reassembling: put the front tabs in first, then tilt-down the console to seat the rest of the tabs. Watch they don't bend outside the console or you'll be doing this again. Ask me how I know.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
My granddad always said: "3 things you don't lend.. your wallet, your car, and your wife" (in that order). :D
Funny! Adding one more to that "do not lend list": A chainsaw. Loaned out two. One came back needing a new bar and a new chain. The other one came back needing both and more. Never again will I loan out one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rear console lid fix works

Thanks to tlyons for the "carefully pry off the back of the console box " fix. It was the solution for my 2016 Mazda3 Touring. Both of hinge pins on mine had worked their way out. After reassembling, I used electrical tape on the outsides to hopefully prevent the pins working loose again.

BTW Mazda has info on the problem. Not allowed to post a link here, so just Google "rear-console-lid-is-loose-2014-2015-mazda"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just fixed mine too. Perfect. That info was just what I needed. I added a drop of machine oil on each side, just in case friction was making the pins back out. And if that actually makes the problem worse, at least it's an easy fix!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much. The left side pin completely came out mine and i just fixed it. 8]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts