2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have been to the Infotainment Wiki Page, located at "http://www.mazda3hacks.com/doku.php" you may be familiar with the website that spawned out of the work that was being done in the infotainment project thread

Recently, the owner of the website @Duck passed away on 12/22/2014 - his father posted in the infotainment thread to let us know.

The wiki had lots of info on the mods that could be done to the Infotainment System and I had made an announcement on the site to let people know it may go down in the near future...

I just wanted to post on here in case there were any questions about why the website isn't coming up, because it is most likely down for good, and it was getting something like 50k unique hits per month based on the information Duck shared with me....

Not sure what, if anything, anyone wants to do to put together another page but I guess we will find out...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I wonder how much he was paying to have that site hosted. The company may be willing to let us know what we'd need to do to get it back up.

Reactions: Dimes2Dope

·
Registered
45 Posts
The domain doesn't expire till 8/2015 and is on active status, no updates to the site since 12/12. Could be just a normal outage. If it comes back up, I can probably rip the site and re upload it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The domain doesn't expire till 8/2015 and is on active status, no updates to the site since 12/12. Could be just a normal outage. If it comes back up, I can probably rip the site and re upload it.
I wonder how much he was paying to have that site hosted. The company may be willing to let us know what we'd need to do to get it back up.
Yea, the page does seem to include contact information for the hosting company I think.

The link redirects here: Contact Arvixe

I'm sure we could contact the support there and inform them of the situation, since the previous owner passed away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's the privacy settings. My domains do the same thing. They won't work with anyone but the account holder. Unless someone can provide a death cert. I've been down that road before.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wouldn't mind pitching in some money to help get the site or new site up and running just not sure how to do that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It's the privacy settings. My domains do the same thing. They won't work with anyone but the account holder. Unless someone can provide a death cert. I've been down that road before.
I'm sorry you've have to go through that before. :\
That process can be a toughie. I know I found the obit for Duck, so that may suffice.

@nathanb, Good work on the Google cache. I think some of the images were kept on a Google drive... https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4s0TamsAZLsRXdEM3phLVdoUlU&usp=sharing

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've reached out to Arvixe regarding the mazda3hacks.com website.
I'll let you guys know what they say or if there's anything we can do to keep the site up and running.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good news everyone!

Well, kinda... The site is back online, at least temporarily. Per Arvix's QA manager, the site was taken offline because the site itself was causing an error on the server and they want to know if we are able to take care of that. Which, I am quite sure we can. They are also asking if we have any physical contact with Duck's family. So, I'm not sure if they'll allow the site to stay up until payment expires (with out a death cert and that kinda thing) or if they're just leaving it up temporarily to allow us to grab any information we want to keep from the site. I'll let everyone know more as I get more information.

I'll send everyone a quick PM to make sure you get the message and can download a copy of the site, just to make sure we have a copy we can upload elsewhere if needed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
And to transfer the site to someone else, they're going to need a death cert or the last 4 of the credit card used to host the site. They indicate the site will stay up for now, but no word on how long they're going to give us to get that info.

Unless someone actually knew Duck in the real world, we may just need to host the site else where. :\

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can someone go through and compare and see what was missed?? Once done I can clean up the name

start [Mazda3Hacks]

No login should work. No access tot he database.
Very nice. Thank you for putting in all the work to do that. I did a quick look through and it all seemed fine (considering I put together a lot of those pages from info i got elsewhere - im fairly familiar with them)

The only thing I noticed - and I'm not sure how to change it -

On the page about "changing the background image" - there is a .png image file which is a transparency I made and put on the original site so people could use it to get an idea of what a background will look like before they add it to their car.

When you go to download the image - it downloads - but at the end of the file name it has some odd characters after the .png - - it was like ".png;_" or something like that.

The image download worked - but I had to remove the extra characters from the file to actually view it....

Very minor detail I know - but incase someone wants to change their background and test it with the transparent template - hopefully they know enough to remove the extra characters from the file name huh? lol : )

but honestly - thanks for putting all that together. I really appreciate it. :thumbup1 1::cheesy::detective::thumbup 1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts