2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from KC!

Currently looking pretty hard at the 5-door Mazda 3. (Touring 2.5 with manual, soul red) Registered to get as much intel as possible before making a final decision. After some initial research, I did a test drive last night and got an offer from the dealer. Waiting to hear back from my insurance agent about how much that's going to be.

Things l'm looking into are: How close to the posted fuel economy numbers do most people get? Over, under, the same? What are known faults to look out for? Overall user satisfaction/reliability/how often does it end up in the shop? I've heard Android Auto is coming is considered a bit of a running joke? How well does the USB and/or bluetooth work with Android phones and using non-standard apps for voice replies?

So far, the test drive went really well. Manual transmission and clutch felt good. Ergonomics felt decently laid out. If I decide to get a little more serious, I might take the dealer up on an overnight.

What I'm coming from: Current car is a Honda Element. I found it to be the ultimate road trip vehicle but they don't make them anymore. About to hit 240k miles this week and if I don't buy this new car, I'll hit 250k before Oct 1. It's at that age where each repair is about a car payment plus normal things are needing replacement such as tires are about due. Don't want a CVT which is mandatory on any decent trim level of most of their line and the engines on the Civic hatches are turbo now and don't have the numbers to match this normal engine.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You can get the advertised mileage numbers if you do not lead foot the car. I have had my 3 for 3 years now and have not had any problems except the heads up display occasionally does not come up. I just shut down the engine and restart the car and it pops back up. Fun car do drive. Best car in the compact segment.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have to worry about the HUD. That's only available on the top line model here and I didn't see enough features in that model to warrant the extra cost for me. So far, my research is looking promising. Heard back from my insurance agent and they're giving me a better rate than last time I asked. It's not as good as I'd like but better than the scare they gave me before. It's looking like I'll pull the trigger but I want to try to get a better deal than their initial offer. (Even though that was better than I had expected.)

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I am liking mine very much, but much, much happier since I got rid of the factory Dunlops and put Michelin A/S 3+'s on them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The OE Dunlops are pieces of shit. Too bad I don't drive my 3 very much and have years worth of tread remaining on mine. Lmao

I have a 2015 3SGT in manual flavor and I don't recall what the claimed efficiencies rank, but my lifetime average at 15K miles has been 32 mpg, mixed driving.

It's a good litte vehicle. No trouble, other than the horrendous vibration at 70+ mph. There's a couple of threads here with a few other people suffering this anomaly. But, mine hasn't been back to the dealer since purchase.

I've found that the 3 doesn't have enough cargo space for my needs, and I probably won't have it for more than another year or so.

Happy motoring!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This. Bring 4 decent tires with you when you go. You'll need them so you might as well get that problem solved early.:laughing019:
Unfortunately, I didn't see these comments until now that I'm home with it. I'll run these for a bit and see how it goes.

Congrats! Is it new? Having the 2.5 should mean you do have the HUD if you're in the USA.
The GT has the HUD. I have the Touring 2.5 which had my requirements, a stick and a sunroof. Everything else was bonus

One problem I have already had is bluetooth pairing. I don't know why but my personal phone doesn't see the car. (Android running 7.0, can't think of why it wouldn't see the car.) My work phone (iPhone) does but I'm not allowed to pair that with anything.

·
Working Class Hero
3,710 Posts
If you shop the tires early, you can probably get a few bucks for the Dunlops on trade when you buy new tires with some stick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Chimphappyhour, one look at the following motivated many of us to get rid of the stock Dunlops.

And there are many other good tire options other than the Michelins and the Continentals.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 2017 GT Sport
The worst thing about the car are the tires!

I hope they wear soon so I can justify getting new tires.
Luckily these tires have a really low treadwear rating!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have a 2017 GT Sport
The worst thing about the car are the tires!

I hope they wear soon so I can justify getting new tires.
Luckily these tires have a really low treadwear rating!
Feeling the same way about the tires, not even a week after owning the car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts