2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my '18 HB lowered on racing beat springs currently. I don't want to go any lower than it is right now cause if I do, I won't be able to make it up my rhino ramps for oil changes.

The ones I'm considering now are:
Koni Special Actives - I hear they work well for the most part, but can falter on uneven roads and hard turning. Unsure if they will affect ride height.
Bilstein B6 - These are the one's I'm leaning towards most, but I'm worried they may actually lift my car a little
Bilstein B8 - These are advertised as being chambered for lowering springs, but I'm worried they may lower my car further, which I want to avoid

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,447 Posts
Koni SA here with H&R springs. Great combo.

Should be a worthwhile upgrade for your RB springs.
CK

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
500 Posts
Alot of local toronto forum run H&R or Beats springs with the Koni or Bilstein

Could I ask why you didnt go to Coilovers and have more height flexibility ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alot of local toronto forum run H&R or Beats springs with the Koni or Bilstein

Could I ask why you didnt go to Coilovers and have more height flexibility ?
which bilstein?

i just didn't want to get coilovers 🤷‍♂️. i was looking for a mild drop for aesthetics.

·
Registered
500 Posts
which bilstein?

i just didn't want to get coilovers 🤷‍♂️. i was looking for a mild drop for aesthetics.
...double checked the local forum and
B6 with oem springs mainly if not exclusively.
B8 with lowering springs because they are shorter and designed to work with lowered suspension .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have recently fitted b6's but with stock springs and can confirm the ride height has raised in the rear which I think is from the high gas pressure coupled with quite a light rear axle. I put my axle stands and trolley jack kit in the boot and that was enough weight to level it out. After nothing but trouble trying to do the rears I ended up doing the fronts first and the ride felt amazing, after finally fitting the rears I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma though. With any weight in the boot or a rear passenger the rears run as good as the front over all terrain but with just me in the car the ride changes. On the highway and fast twisty roads they're genuinely awesome but over speed bumps they're a bit harsh on the rear. Don't know if it's a deal breaker yet but gonna run them for a few thousand miles to give them a fair assessment and to decide if the small part of my overall journeys that is slightly harsher than I'd like is enough to make me switch out the rears compared to the rest of my journeys that often make me now smile with how the car now handles

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
Yes, its been said that Bilsteins can be somewhat stiff. Thats why the Koni SAs seem to be the preferred damper for the Mazda 3.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have recently fitted b6's but with stock springs and can confirm the ride height has raised in the rear which I think is from the high gas pressure coupled with quite a light rear axle. I put my axle stands and trolley jack kit in the boot and that was enough weight to level it out. After nothing but trouble trying to do the rears I ended up doing the fronts first and the ride felt amazing, after finally fitting the rears I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma though. With any weight in the boot or a rear passenger the rears run as good as the front over all terrain but with just me in the car the ride changes. On the highway and fast twisty roads they're genuinely awesome but over speed bumps they're a bit harsh on the rear. Don't know if it's a deal breaker yet but gonna run them for a few thousand miles to give them a fair assessment and to decide if the small part of my overall journeys that is slightly harsher than I'd like is enough to make me switch out the rears compared to the rest of my journeys that often make me now smile with how the car now handles
thanks for the feedback on the B6s.
so you're saying that the stock rear is too light for the shocks? perhaps that will settle with time/use? i'm assuming you have a hatchback?
I have about 55 pounds of extra weight over the rear axle (subwoofer + tow hitch), plus sound deadening (maybe 10-15 pounds)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah got the hatchback, with that amount of extra weight in the rear it would be spot on. It's not bone shaking harsh or anything and I'd recommend the set up. The front end feels soooo good and the way the front tucks in with the torque vectoring going round corners at speed with little to no body roll has changed the car. I really struggled finding thorough reviews for our cars and to be honest I'd have still gone down this route having found a review stating the rears are firm anyway as the bilstein have a reputation for lasting the life of the car. I bought the rear koni SA's anyway as a back up, as well as the bilstein b4's, as I could get them fairly cheap, if I switch (which I doubt I will as I think the fun factor is only gonna increase come summer when I can hit the English countryside roads) I'll happily report back any feedback for anyone who'd like to hear.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
idk, corksport doesn't seem like a "quality" brand to me.
i think i'll go with the bilstein B6. i don't want to have to touch my dampeners again in the +7-10 years i'll keep my vehicle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This was a few days later when the suspension had settled. I'll try get a photo tomorrow to show the rears post install.
IMG_20210130_163755037.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do have Koni SAS with the racing beat springs and it is an amazing combo. No issues since self install going to 2 yrs now. Rides fantastic.

·
Registered
500 Posts
idk, corksport doesn't seem like a "quality" brand to me.
i think i'll go with the bilstein B6. i don't want to have to touch my dampeners again in the +7-10 years i'll keep my vehicle.
Cant say if the corksport will go 7-10 years .
Had the CS adjustable dampeners on with the CS lowering for 4+ years ... Sold them 2 years ago

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
i don't want to have to touch my dampeners again in the +7-10 years i'll keep my vehicle.
Thats probably not going to happen.....shocks are consumables, and are replaced based on miles and wear, not by how old they are. Chance are you'll be doing them at least one more time in the next 7-8 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you considered KYB ExcelG?
They’re a mild upgrade from OE and should be a good match with the mild lowering of the RB springs.
RockAuto has a new $75 rebate on a set, with the fronts being $75 each and rear at $35 each.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts