2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i checked how to's but nothing..pls if anyone willing to do it and post it. Is it required to drill? thanks

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i checked how to's but nothing..pls if anyone willing to do it and post it. Is it required to drill? thanks
Drilling is not required. Complete instructions come with it. On the fronts, it's just removing a few screws and popping it on. The backs are a little more tricky as they require you cut out two tabs on each side for nuts. I used a utility knife to do that. The hardest part on the backs is pulling the fender liner out just a little to get those nuts to slide on. I didn't even remove all of the screws to do that, but I think you should as it is easier that way. The only tip I can give you is that when cutting out the two tabs, only make the cut as large as the slip on nut. It's one of the easiest installs you'll find. I used a small socket wrench and a right angled screwdriver to get to some of the rear screws. However, if you don't have that, you can always just remove the rear wheels for easy access. On the fronts, just turn the wheels so they are out of the way of the install. Given that I had all of the tools, it took me about 20 minutes for the whole install, but I do this all of the time. If you are not handy, set aside 1 to 1.5 hours for the task.

Reactions: senti02

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Were did you get them from and how effective are they?

I assume these are OEM.
In installed the OEM splash guards several months ago. I just searched a number of vendors for the lowest price. They are designed to go with the style of the car unlike the truck-like Rally Armor flaps. They do a good job of keeping the heavy stuff like rocks, gravel, and mud off of the car but lighter drops of muddy water will go around them simply by airflow. If you put on wheels with a lower offset than the stock 50, then depending on how much poke you have, they will be less effective. I use the stock 18" alloys and am very happy with their performance -- much better than without them. They also don't collect ice and snow as much as the bigger flaps which is important for those of us living where there is snow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow thanks everyone. cant wait to get mine ship :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do go on some gravel roads so I will put on the OEM front mud flaps. I might be able to get the fronts for $50.

Are the rear flaps really necessary? I can understand the fronts to protect the body panels but do the rears really help?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I do go on some gravel roads so I will put on the OEM front mud flaps. I might be able to get the fronts for $50.

Are the rear flaps really necessary? I can understand the fronts to protect the body panels but do the rears really help?
You do have the bumper behind the rear guards and on the rear, because it goes in a bit, it does stay cleaner. Gravel can still nick the paint off of the rear bumper. I had no hesitation to put it on. If you are planning to get the rear diffuser, however, then don't put it on as that piece covers the same area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts