2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no choice but move to Bay Area from LA due to job situation :crybaby 1:
In best case scenario, I'll go to LA every two weeks. If not, maybe once a month.
If I end up going to LA every two weeks, I plan to use rental car and 3.
Basically, the 3 will go with me once a month.
I don't mind driving non-stop to LA using a rental, but kinda hesistant to do that with 3.
Do you guys think "4 hr non-stop drive - 15 minute break - non stop drive rest of the way" is too much of a burden for a car? For those not in CA, the distance between San Jose and LA is about 300-350.

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
How is that a burden? 300-350 miles is nothing. Shit I put that many miles on my car every 3 days. If I had to do a straight 350 mile drive every few weeks so be it. Hell in the summer my car does 300 miles non stop each way every other weekend.

·
Registered
501 Posts
+1

I've taken my car to DC and back (one of the many reasons why I put 3500 miles on it in the first month of ownership) without a problem, and thats about 300 miles each way. I've also done a bunch of ~200 mile roadtrips so far and all have been fine.

I did the LA-SanFran run last summer in my girlfriend's '04 Subie Forester, on a 105 degree day on I-5 (yea, that was nice). Worked perfectly. Your car should be fine!

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
I bought my car 1 week ago and it has 667 miles on it already :eek: If you enjoy driving your 3, than drive it...that's why it was built :D

·
1,091 Posts
It's not a burden actually- engines typically last longer if they're running for longer periods of time. A long trip certainly gives time for the oil temperature to reach sufficient lubricating temp and persistent airflow to feed the intake. Also if you're cruising at a relatively constant speed (grapevine and taking the 152 from 101-5 is the only 'entertainment' you might get), you'll probably get good mileage as well. As long as you're not doing the drive during obnoxious traffic times, I'd say with proper maintenance and attention to tire pressure, oil level, keeping the air filter clean- you'd be racking up miles but in the least burdening way possible. I view longer freeway driving as a way of extending your maintenance intervals if it's consistent. If contrast, if you do a lot of short city driving, you really need to pay more attention and have more frequent maintenance. It's not just mileage that determines when maintenance should occur, but how those miles were put on.

I view my drives to and from work a burden to my MS3- 10 miles each way with a lot of stop and go traffic. I'd happily drive 20 miles each way if there was no traffic, hell throw in some twisty road too!

·
Registered
501 Posts
After 4 days of ownership...

Mazda3's are meant to be DRIVEN

·
Registered
213 Posts
How long do you plan on keeping the car? How many miles did you expect to put on it? The national average is about 1000 miles per month. After the initial break in the car doesn't care how the miles are put on (long drives or short), but city driving is does put more wear and tear on then highway.

The only reason I can see NOT to drive it is if you don't want to put on 2000 miles per month - then do the rental thing, but then you are probably paying the rental company the equivalent of a car payment per month. Do you itemize your taxes? You may want to see if you can deduct the miles you drive on YOUR car. Some relocation costs are deductible.

Just about all cars today will do 100k to 150K miles without needing any major maintenance, so enjoy your car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I drove from the burbs of Chicago to key west Florida and back. Drove it 8-12 hours at a time before stopping at hotels. Everything was great! (26 hours each way)

·
Registered
471 Posts
i do not take my car on long trips...not cuz of strain or mileage but i don't want it to get fubar'd away from home. an accident can happen anywhere, but i don't want it to happen in another city. i use rentals for long hauls and trips to places i'm weary of or don't know well (other cities...not the ghetto across town ;))

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
i do not take my car on long trips...not cuz of strain or mileage but i don't want it to get fubar'd away from home. an accident can happen anywhere, but i don't want it to happen in another city. i use rentals for long hauls and trips to places i'm weary of or don't know well (other cities...not the ghetto across town ;))
eh, its a Mazda 3 not a Ferrari, I think it will be ok.

·
Registered
471 Posts
that's true. and since i don't have another 20-some thousand to go blow on another one, i think i'll take care of this one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long do you plan on keeping the car? How many miles did you expect to put on it? The national average is about 1000 miles per month. After the initial break in the car doesn't care how the miles are put on (long drives or short), but city driving is does put more wear and tear on then highway.

The only reason I can see NOT to drive it is if you don't want to put on 2000 miles per month - then do the rental thing, but then you are probably paying the rental company the equivalent of a car payment per month. Do you itemize your taxes? You may want to see if you can deduct the miles you drive on YOUR car. Some relocation costs are deductible.

Just about all cars today will do 100k to 150K miles without needing any major maintenance, so enjoy your car.
i was initally thinking 6yrs and cuz of that the reason for rental use was mileage. but my friend told me after driving a car with leather seat, heated seat, and HID, i probably won't be that comfortable in yaris/aveo type of rental.

now that i decided to keep the car for long time, i figured i shouldn't worry about mileage. i'll probably be able to deduct last sunday's drive off my tax return next year but i'm sure i won't be able to deduct mileages i rack up on bi-weekly trips cuz the purpose of those trips will be leisure.

yaris/aveo will cost about $70+gas.. that's like $840 a year. hey!! i can get exhaust and intake easily with that money!! i think i'm better off with using the 3 now that mileage isn't too much of a concern. and i think the drive down south will be more memorable with the 3 :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've driven from Anchorage to Cold Foot in a Mazda Protege. In February (2001). That is 600 miles of desolate, unforgiving road without gas stations, restaurants, service facilities or cell service. Didn't phase me or the Mazda at all. The best part of that trip was watching the aurora without light pollution.

The Mazda 3 is a better design than the Protege.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cynder, you must have carried extra fuel in cans to make that trip, right?

How much space did that eat up? I never drove a Protege, but at best I could get 400 miles on a tank in my 3.

·
Registered
452 Posts

How much space did that eat up? I never drove a Protege, but at best I could get 400 miles on a tank in my 3.
Remember the 3 has a hidden 2 gal reserve. tank meter reports 12 gallons where as the tank is actually a 14 gallon one. So you could get an extra 60 miles out of it if you really needed to after it reached 0. But yeah still not enough for 600 miles...

·
Registered
213 Posts

My Protege gets 39 MPG highway - i think it is a 1.6L engine. It is a 2000 model - lots of road noise, but I paid cash for it in 2000.

My 3 doesn't compare in terms of gas mileage, but at least it doesn't slow down when climbing big hills in top gear.

·
Insert Witty Title Here..
353 Posts
I've driven from Anchorage to Cold Foot in a Mazda Protege. In February (2001). That is 600 miles of desolate, unforgiving road without gas stations, restaurants, service facilities or cell service. Didn't phase me or the Mazda at all. The best part of that trip was watching the aurora without light pollution.

The Mazda 3 is a better design than the Protege.
Haha, finally another Alaskan Mazda owner! I'm picking mine up tomorrow. I live in fairbanks, so I am driving down there tomorrow, picking her up, and coming back up here on Sunday. 440 miles one way. and one the summer comes, I will be in Denali every weekend, camping with the dog. I am going to be driving from Fairbanks Alaska, down to Austin Texas, come July, so I figure by then she will be nice and broken in, lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts