2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Locking Stem Valve Caps

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  hawaiiguy 
#1 ·
Any recommendations on this topic? I'll tell you why I am giving this minor part more than 30 seconds of thought. I am going to buy some metal ones regardless of the fact that they are unnecessary; it's what I want.

The "anti-theft" systems I've seen mostly involve small parts like set screws. I'm not crazy about that option for several reasons (seizing is one of them). As to why I even want locking ones, that's simple. I'm not concerned while I'm living in Tennessee, but after I move to California I will be. Not to bad mouth good ol' Cali, I lived there for many years. But the fact is that lowlives will steal ridiculous things when your vehicle is parked. I'm not kidding; I've had an entire tail light assembly stolen while shopping for groceries for a half hour.

It's not so much the cost of replacing them but it's annoying at best. At worst, I don't want to drive for a month before I notice they're even gone.

#11 ·
Any recommendations on this topic? I'll tell you why I am giving this minor part more than 30 seconds of thought. I am going to buy some metal ones regardless of the fact that they are unnecessary; it's what I want.

The "anti-theft" systems I've seen mostly involve small parts like set screws. I'm not crazy about that option for several reasons (seizing is one of them). As to why I even want locking ones, that's simple. I'm not concerned while I'm living in Tennessee, but after I move to California I will be. Not to bad mouth good ol' Cali, I lived there for many years. But the fact is that lowlives will steal ridiculous things when your vehicle is parked. I'm not kidding; I've had an entire tail light assembly stolen while shopping for groceries for a half hour.

It's not so much the cost of replacing them but it's annoying at best. At worst, I don't want to drive for a month before I notice they're even gone.
Cheap METAL ones and carefully tighten then slightly more with a wrench (very carefully) and keep the wrench handy.
Fancy ones will disappear. This discourages wrench less wretches.

#13 · (Edited)

i first bought the locking valve caps from Malaysia back in '08 for my previous car, a scion xB. Very good quality, and easy to lock and remove provided you have that dimpled master cap remover to put onto the existing valve cap and turn to unlock or lock. Never ever gave me problems...flash back to when I bought my '17 mazda, I went onto the internet and found that company no longer in business (what a shame..really), but saw a look alike that was now being made in Great Britain...received that with just some minor design changes, it provides the locking feature like the one that was being sold in Malaysia. Quality was good for both, as it held better and for a longer period of time due to the brass innards so less often I had to inflate the tires. If someone tried to remove the caps, it would just spin and spin...you needed that part (that could be attached to your key ring--no, it's not an allen wrench) that looked like another cover that you would put on top of the locking cap (match the dimpled hole ) and turn to open.

Reactions: The Italian
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.