2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on this topic? I'll tell you why I am giving this minor part more than 30 seconds of thought. I am going to buy some metal ones regardless of the fact that they are unnecessary; it's what I want.

The "anti-theft" systems I've seen mostly involve small parts like set screws. I'm not crazy about that option for several reasons (seizing is one of them). As to why I even want locking ones, that's simple. I'm not concerned while I'm living in Tennessee, but after I move to California I will be. Not to bad mouth good ol' Cali, I lived there for many years. But the fact is that lowlives will steal ridiculous things when your vehicle is parked. I'm not kidding; I've had an entire tail light assembly stolen while shopping for groceries for a half hour.

It's not so much the cost of replacing them but it's annoying at best. At worst, I don't want to drive for a month before I notice they're even gone.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ive never heard of this and why is that such a huge cost to worry about? I got Mazda M caps and they were only $10 for the set. Generic ones are far less.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, it's not the cost. I don't wanna have to check for missing caps every time I leave a parking lot, that's all. Appreciate the link though; I figured there might be some suggestions on different ones, so that's good.

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
You are far more likely to lose a cap than have one stolen. Its not even worth worrying about.......
I got a set of anodized aluminum caps to match my rims from 949 Racing, $3 each.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any recommendations on this topic? I'll tell you why I am giving this minor part more than 30 seconds of thought. I am going to buy some metal ones regardless of the fact that they are unnecessary; it's what I want.

The "anti-theft" systems I've seen mostly involve small parts like set screws. I'm not crazy about that option for several reasons (seizing is one of them). As to why I even want locking ones, that's simple. I'm not concerned while I'm living in Tennessee, but after I move to California I will be. Not to bad mouth good ol' Cali, I lived there for many years. But the fact is that lowlives will steal ridiculous things when your vehicle is parked. I'm not kidding; I've had an entire tail light assembly stolen while shopping for groceries for a half hour.

It's not so much the cost of replacing them but it's annoying at best. At worst, I don't want to drive for a month before I notice they're even gone.
Cheap METAL ones and carefully tighten then slightly more with a wrench (very carefully) and keep the wrench handy.
Fancy ones will disappear. This discourages wrench less wretches.

·
Registered
112 Posts

i first bought the locking valve caps from Malaysia back in '08 for my previous car, a scion xB. Very good quality, and easy to lock and remove provided you have that dimpled master cap remover to put onto the existing valve cap and turn to unlock or lock. Never ever gave me problems...flash back to when I bought my '17 mazda, I went onto the internet and found that company no longer in business (what a shame..really), but saw a look alike that was now being made in Great Britain...received that with just some minor design changes, it provides the locking feature like the one that was being sold in Malaysia. Quality was good for both, as it held better and for a longer period of time due to the brass innards so less often I had to inflate the tires. If someone tried to remove the caps, it would just spin and spin...you needed that part (that could be attached to your key ring--no, it's not an allen wrench) that looked like another cover that you would put on top of the locking cap (match the dimpled hole ) and turn to open.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i first bought the locking valve caps from Malaysia back in '08 for my previous car, a scion xB. Very good quality, and easy to lock and remove provided you have that dimpled master cap remover to put onto the existing valve cap and turn to unlock or lock. Never ever gave me problems...flash back to when I bought my '17 mazda, I went onto the internet and found that company no longer in business (what a shame..really), but saw a look alike that was now being made in Great Britain...received that with just some minor design changes, it provides the locking feature like the one that was being sold in Malaysia. Quality was good for both, as it held better and for a longer period of time due to the brass innards so less often I had to inflate the tires. If someone tried to remove the caps, it would just spin and spin...you needed that part (that could be attached to your key ring--no, it's not an allen wrench) that looked like another cover that you would put on top of the locking cap (match the dimpled hole ) and turn to open.
Do you have a picture by any chance? Or a link? I bought some, but they don't lock although it seems like where I live doesn't have the same issues of people running off with yours like other places. Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Cheap METAL ones and carefully tighten then slightly more with a wrench (very carefully) and keep the wrench handy.
Fancy ones will disappear. This discourages wrench less wretches.
I was going to say the same thing... still can be stolen but not quick and easy grab

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do you have a picture by any chance? Or a link? I bought some, but they don't lock although it seems like where I live doesn't have the same issues of people running off with yours like other places. Thanks!
sorry, only now have i seen your post.. I removed them when I had new Michelin A/S tires installed in Feb of this year and forgot to put it back...now trying to remember where I put them..senior moment...I will look for them and will post if I can find them... again, they were VERY good locking valve stem covers... think it cost over $30.00 for the 4 plus the master lock mechanism.

·
Registered
112 Posts
this is what I bought on Ebay back in 2018 == ships from United Kingdom.. below are the current pricing. I chose the all chrome look. This is a spin-off from the original that was manufactured in Malaysia...BOTH were high quality and kept the air pressure high for a longer period of time than with regular black plastic covers. Note: when it was made in Malaysia, it came with two key locks, but with the present one, it only comes with one key lock (that you attach to your key chain).

sorry, only now have i seen your post.. I removed them when I had new Michelin A/S tires installed in Feb of this year and forgot to put it back...now trying to remember where I put them..senior moment...I will look for them and will post if I can find them... again, they were VERY good locking valve stem covers... think it cost over $30.00 for the 4 plus the master lock mechanism.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts