2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on this topic? I'll tell you why I am giving this minor part more than 30 seconds of thought. I am going to buy some metal ones regardless of the fact that they are unnecessary; it's what I want.

The "anti-theft" systems I've seen mostly involve small parts like set screws. I'm not crazy about that option for several reasons (seizing is one of them). As to why I even want locking ones, that's simple. I'm not concerned while I'm living in Tennessee, but after I move to California I will be. Not to bad mouth good ol' Cali, I lived there for many years. But the fact is that lowlives will steal ridiculous things when your vehicle is parked. I'm not kidding; I've had an entire tail light assembly stolen while shopping for groceries for a half hour.

It's not so much the cost of replacing them but it's annoying at best. At worst, I don't want to drive for a month before I notice they're even gone.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, it's not the cost. I don't wanna have to check for missing caps every time I leave a parking lot, that's all. Appreciate the link though; I figured there might be some suggestions on different ones, so that's good.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
You are far more likely to lose a cap than have one stolen. Its not even worth worrying about.......
I got a set of anodized aluminum caps to match my rims from 949 Racing, $3 each.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any recommendations on this topic? I'll tell you why I am giving this minor part more than 30 seconds of thought. I am going to buy some metal ones regardless of the fact that they are unnecessary; it's what I want.

The "anti-theft" systems I've seen mostly involve small parts like set screws. I'm not crazy about that option for several reasons (seizing is one of them). As to why I even want locking ones, that's simple. I'm not concerned while I'm living in Tennessee, but after I move to California I will be. Not to bad mouth good ol' Cali, I lived there for many years. But the fact is that lowlives will steal ridiculous things when your vehicle is parked. I'm not kidding; I've had an entire tail light assembly stolen while shopping for groceries for a half hour.

It's not so much the cost of replacing them but it's annoying at best. At worst, I don't want to drive for a month before I notice they're even gone.
Cheap METAL ones and carefully tighten then slightly more with a wrench (very carefully) and keep the wrench handy.
Fancy ones will disappear. This discourages wrench less wretches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts