2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still trying to figure out what happened since this is my first keyless entry car. I have a 2021 Mazda 3 AWD Turbo Sedan and I started the car and set the key in the car and exited the car (figuring the car wouldn't let it lock the keys in because it was in park the whole time and in proximity) and turned my wheels so I could adjust my mud flaps. I came back around the car to get back in and all 4 doors were locked while the engine was still on. Then I went inside the house and grabbed the 2nd key and none of the buttons on it would work to unlock doors or trunk (I never confirmed this 2nd set actually worked though, just assumed). I ended up finding the trunk was unlocked so I dropped the back seat and crawled in through there.

I know the car auto locks while you drive but I was in park, I did not switch the gear. I started it and then got out. I'm wondering if I missed something, if something is malfunctioning, or if I'm just not used to keyless. I now assume I should always have the keys on me or at least in my pocket, but I'm wondering if anyone knew what happened so I can avoid my same mistake.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Check that Settings > Vehicle > Door Locks are set to Lock: In Gear, Unlock: In Park.

Also, I disable the Keyless Auto-lock check box, which may have prevented your situation, say if the car could not detect the FOB inside the car for whatever reason, so it simply auto-locked.

·
Registered
2018 3 GT Hatchback,6 Speed MT
364 Posts
This is my fear and why I never do this, also my first keyless entry car, Im curious what others say could be the reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the ideas. I will doublecheck that setting and probably end up disabling auto lock completely and just manually lock it every time. I thought it was a cool feature but there are times I walk away from the car and don't hear the beep and fear I may be putting too much trust into it actually locking.

It is pretty interesting manufacturers worked so hard to prevent you from locking yourself out of your vehicle with the keys in the ignition but now with keyless it seems so easy. It also is more perplexing why my 2nd key was not allowing and/or overwriting the lock from within the car. If the trunk was locked too, I wouldn't have had any way to get in besides calling someone or waiting for the gas to run out and hoping my second key would then work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While this is an unfortunate/unforeseeable occurrence, I'm not sure that the blame should be placed on the manufacturers as they give you setting options to allow for what is best for each individual. Sounds like your setting is (Unlock: in park, Off) Below is a list of vehicle locking options, but a person would have to decide what is best for them based on their level of comfort and security.

I certainly agree that the second key should be able to unlock the car but again, the option to access the driver's door using the auxiliary key is also available.

Font Parallel Number Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
385 Posts
Thank you for the ideas. I will doublecheck that setting and probably end up disabling auto lock completely and just manually lock it every time. I thought it was a cool feature but there are times I walk away from the car and don't hear the beep and fear I may be putting too much trust into it actually locking.

It is pretty interesting manufacturers worked so hard to prevent you from locking yourself out of your vehicle with the keys in the ignition but now with keyless it seems so easy. It also is more perplexing why my 2nd key was not allowing and/or overwriting the lock from within the car. If the trunk was locked too, I wouldn't have had any way to get in besides calling someone or waiting for the gas to run out and hoping my second key would then work.
Once the car is running, the lock/unlock functions are disabled on the key/fob.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
based on their level of comfort and security.
This is spot on. A few years ago, while staying with a girlfriend in the downtown area, I managed to leave the car running, fully unlocked, overnight. Car was still running the next day, but on fumes of course. Clearly my mind was elsewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While this is an unfortunate/unforeseeable occurrence, I'm not sure that the blame should be placed on the manufacturers as they give you setting options to allow for what is best for each individual. Sounds like your setting is (Unlock: in park, Off) Below is a list of vehicle locking options, but a person would have to decide what is best for them based on their level of comfort and security.

I certainly agree that the second key should be able to unlock the car but again, the option to access the driver's door using the auxiliary key is also available.

View attachment 287143
I'm not sure what you mean, I had the 2nd key and was trying to open the drivers door with it in my hand. The 2nd key fob wouldn't do anything, sounds like RocketmanKarl found the answer to that, but I don't understand why it's this way. If you mean auxiliary key as a physical key, I don't have one.

In any case, the car was set to Lock: In Gear and was not set to Unlock: In Park. Not sure if this is the default setting or if the person who leased the car before I bought it set that on their own. I mean, I would have been completely SOL without the trunk since the 2nd key fob didn't work at all, I don't see any other way of getting into the vehicle besides AAA or using MazdaConnect (ASSUMING that will override the car settings, but unsure since 2nd key fob should have overwrote it too).

I still have no idea how the trunk opened... only way to test all of this is to get a 2nd person around. Regardless, I will probably opt to leave the auto lock disabled, because if I run into something like this again I'm pretty much SOL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean, I had the 2nd key and was trying to open the drivers door with it in my hand. The 2nd key fob wouldn't do anything, sounds like RocketmanKarl found the answer to that, but I don't understand why it's this way. If you mean auxiliary key as a physical key, I don't have one.

In any case, the car was set to Lock: In Gear and was not set to Unlock: In Park. Not sure if this is the default setting or if the person who leased the car before I bought it set that on their own. I mean, I would have been completely SOL without the trunk since the 2nd key fob didn't work at all, I don't see any other way of getting into the vehicle besides AAA or using MazdaConnect (ASSUMING that will override the car settings, but unsure since 2nd key fob should have overwrote it too).

I still have no idea how the trunk opened... only way to test all of this is to get a 2nd person around. Regardless, I will probably opt to leave the auto lock disabled, because if I run into something like this again I'm pretty much SOL.
Hopefully, these will help:
Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part Diagram

Font Parallel Circle Document Art

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW I've never been so appreciative and felt like a bigger dolt than I do now. I even ACTUALLY read the manual and didn't know there was a physical key. And I didn't notice that little lock down there to release it because the past week I've had the car it's been in the leather holders. Let alone the car looks like there's no key hole. So I would have been alright since I was at home with the other key at least... if it was still running hopefully in my debacle I would have eventually came across that.

Apparently I must have missed the section "HOW TO OPEN DOOR"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Door Locks are set to Lock: In Gear, Unlock: In Park.
This has nothing to do with TS problem. It only sets auto locking / unlocking when driving / stopping.

Car should not lock itself when key is present and engine running (key is ON). Moreover, why the trunk stayed open?
In previous generation mazdas there is "lock-out prevention" system, that will not allow you to lock the car when key is ON or ACC and the keyfob is inside the vehicle. I assume 4th gen cars also have it (why shouldn't they?...). But this is irrelevant in this case.
Only possible explanation - somebody inside the car locked the doors (while they were closed).
Are you sure there is no aftermarket anti-theft system installed?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This has nothing to do with TS problem. It only sets auto locking / unlocking when driving / stopping.

Car should not lock itself when key is present and engine running (key is ON). Moreover, why the trunk stayed open?
In previous generation mazdas there is "lock-out prevention" system, that will not allow you to lock the car when key is ON or ACC and the keyfob is inside the vehicle. I assume 4th gen cars also have it (why shouldn't they?...). But this is irrelevant in this case.
Only possible explanation - somebody inside the car locked the doors (while they were closed).
Are you sure there is no aftermarket anti-theft system installed?
Let's say you get in your car, start it, put it in Drive (car locks), put it back in Park (car stays locked), get out, shut door with FOB in car. Guess what, you just locked yourself out unless you chose "Unlock in Park." Seems much more likely to me than somebody hidden inside OP's car hitting the lock button while they're checking the mud flaps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Weird -- that isn't theoretically supposed to happen with a keyless car (since they're SO smart) but it does anyways. Sounds like there are a lot of people here that know better than me, but I am surprised regardless.

My 'keyless' is hit-or-miss sometimes. Sometimes it won't unlock when I pull on the door or press the fob buttons, or will stay unlocked when I walk away normally. I even used the "Close & lock" button on the inside of the hatch this evening to fully lock the car when I left it, and I got a notification on my phone not 2 minutes later that the driver's door was STILL unlocked. (If it knows it's unlocked, why doesn't it just lock itself as it should?)

Combined with the plasticky feeling of the key (the fob for my old Volt was like a lovely chunk of granite) and the lack of keyless sensors on the rear doors, I have mixed feelings about the locking/entry system on the Mazda. However, the touch-sensitive front door handles and remote app locking make up for it somewhat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got a notification on my phone
Is it official mazda stuff, or aftermarket?

No way to lock the car when engine running, other than from inside. Even if car somehow "lost" the key (radio interference or faulty key), when it's running, it won't lock.

I never had any problems with keyless systems.... From early implementations (nissan circa 2008) to current mazda 3 (axela) 3rd gen... Maybe they broke something in 4th gen.
If it knows it's unlocked, why doesn't it just lock itself as it should?
may be the door was not fully closed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you get out while doors locked?
To get out, you must unlock the door. And from that moment car stays unlocked.
Looking at the Automatic Door Locking settings, I can see where this problem could occur. If, as the OP stated that the setting was ("In any case, the car was set to Lock: In Gear and was not set to Unlock: In Park"). The car's setting would lock the door again after exit because the setting to unlock in park was turned off.

Your point about the car should not do this is valid except for the fact that they give you the option to turn it off. This then would allow it to happen especially if you were not aware that it was off. This option is not unique to Mazda as I'm aware of this occurring in other car brands. I used to work for Enterprise rent a car and while it wasn't an everyday occurrence, it did happen more often that you might think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it official mazda stuff, or aftermarket?
I have the 2022 which comes with Mazda telematics for free for a certain period of time. Not sure exactly when this came to the 3s. I believe it was first seen on the CX-30. The dealer was hell bent on getting me set up on the app when I received the car. It is actually useful for locking and unlocking, who knew!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts