2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Lights lights lights!!!

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Alex613 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Thought I would start a new thread for specific questions.

For '14 MZ3 HB, I was thinking about upgrading the front/rear dome, vanity visor, license plate, and trunk lights? My choice of color = WHITE (the color temp that would match the bi-xenon headlights/reverse lights).

So far, I have narrowed down my choices for the front/rear dome and trunk lights to this or this. Would any of these two have any problem(s) or cause for concern (size, color temp, quality, lumen, and etc)?

Now, for the license plate lights, I can't decide b/w this, this, or simply this. Would any of these three have any problem(s) or cause for concern (size, color temp, quality, lumen, and etc)?

Finally, I don't know of any matching/bright vanity visor light options..any suggestions (notice the size is smaller for vanity visor lights from what I read)

I have to ask before ending my OP, is there a better choice within similar price range? I don't really want to spend a ton of money on lights. I do wish to get bright white lights at comparable cost w/o sacrificing a lot on quality. ;)

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
I got the Cree LEDs for my interior lights and the vled 194 led for my plate light. There's are super white at 5000k and super bright. The 194 fled lights make the Lexus and BMW plate lights look dull. It pretty much lights up the whole plate area, rear bumper, and ground behind the vehicle.

The Cree LEDs are a tight fit so you may have to mod the front map lights. I never really use my vanity mirrors so I never changed them.

#6 ·
Your link for the CREE center dome and rear hatch light are the bulbs I bought.

I actually used SMD for my map lights:

6-SMD DE3175 3175 Festoon Dome LED Bulbs | 12V Car LED Interior Lights

This is the 194 (5000K) I bought from VLED:

5K WHITE HIGH POWER LED BULBS 194 168 158 80LM | 1 PAIR - White LED - Parking Marker Lights - Shop Bulb Type

My turn signals from VLED (crazy bright) requires resistors:

AMBER PLATINUM 21 LED BLINKER TURN SIGNAL BULBS 7443 7444 7440 7443NA | 1 PAIR - Amber LED - 7443 - 7443CK - 7440 LED - Turn Signals - Shop Bulb Type

This is the 194 parking lights I bought from iJDM:

5-SMD 168 194 LED Bulbs For Car Interior Lights, License Plate Lights

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for your feedback.
@gdm-usa: I just wanted to create a saperate thread because of the amount of queries I have. :) @nick: really appreciate you posting the research knowledge page. Will definitely read up on it tonight. @DomonationsMZ3: Appreciate all the links. Would you know the color temp of CREE and the SMD dome lights? Also, just to be clear, VLED 194 5K is for license plate and 5=SMD 194 is for reverse light. Is that correct?

#8 ·
194 SMD was for the front parking lights on my Touring S headlight. Its the little orange light. The Cree and SMD interior lights are more like 5-6k not super blue but not pure white like the Vled 194s.

Reverse lights would be the same as my expensive VLED platinums LED turn signals but in the white color. I don't think you need resistors for the reverse lights though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.