2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Insert Witty Title Here..
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked through all the threads in our Forum, but didn't find any really good information on what the laws are for license plates. I found this and thought I would share, so that people don't have to go searching and asking about their particular state. Just some Gee whiz information...

What are my state requirements for License plates?

This site has a lot of really useful information, if you take the time to go through it. Hope this is helpful for some of you!

· Registered
735 Posts
I have found that only the state highway patrol in Ohio cares about the front plate. I received a "defect notice" for not having mine on one time. I put it on but after about a week and seeing lots of people without a front plate I removed it. Thankfully when I got my new '10 the dealer had no problem leaving the bracket off the car for me so I would not have any holes in the bumper like I had on my '06.

From what I understand it is not a moving violation so as long as I don't do anything else stupid that they can pull me over for I shouldn't have to worry about it.

1,277 Posts
I have found that only the state highway patrol in Ohio cares about the front plate.
Really? I drive I-80 every day and see OSHP all the time. Have not been pulled over yet. Here's hoping that streak continues.

Thankfully when I got my new '10 the dealer had no problem leaving the bracket off the car for me so I would not have any holes in the bumper like I had on my '06.
Lucky. I got mine from Mazda/Saab of Bedford, and I asked them to not put a plate bracket on, but they did. My car came from King's Mazda in Cincinnati, so maybe they had already put the bracket on?

Oh well, I'll live with the little holes.

From what I understand it is not a moving violation so as long as I don't do anything else stupid that they can pull me over for I shouldn't have to worry about it.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that is correct. 2 or 3 years ago my friend got pulled over on Rt.59 on the Kent car strip. Cop gave him a ticket for no front plate, no other reason to pull him over other than the plate.

· Registered
735 Posts
Really? I drive I-80 every day and see OSHP all the time. Have not been pulled over yet. Here's hoping that streak continues.
Maybe not on the highway, but I was pulled over at midnight on SR84 on my way to the store. Never seen any other cop car at all. Guy made me come and sit in his car while he wrote up the notice. He asked me if I had one and I said it was in my trunk. He said "well that's not doing any good in there is it?" :tongue:

Lucky. I got mine from Mazda/Saab of Bedford, and I asked them to not put a plate bracket on, but they did. My car came from King's Mazda in Cincinnati, so maybe they had already put the bracket on?

Oh well, I'll live with the little holes.
My car came from a dealer in Michigan so that's how I got lucky. I asked the sales person at Westside Mazda to not put the bracket on and they did, they just let me know it was against the law.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is correct. 2 or 3 years ago my friend got pulled over on Rt.59 on the Kent car strip. Cop gave him a ticket for no front plate, no other reason to pull him over other than the plate.
I could be wrong, never bothered to look into it more. Probably it's just not worth a cops time to pull someone over for a license plate violation when they could catch a speeder and probably make more off the ticket.

· Registered
52 Posts
I would hate to have to put a front plate on my car. Here in NS, Canada we only have the back plate, they don't even give us more than one.

I wonder what the laws for driving through a state where it is required, will they ticket an out of state/country vehicle like some states do with tint??

1,277 Posts
I wonder what the laws for driving through a state where it is required, will they ticket an out of state/country vehicle like some states do with tint??
License plate no, but I'm not sure about tint. I was driving a car registered in NC (where no front plate is req'd) in Ohio, and a cop whipped around real quick once he saw me. I wasn't speeding or anything, so he had to have whipped around for the no front plate. Once he ran the NC plates (riding my ass the whole time mind you), he realized he couldn't get me for no front plate.

· Super Moderator
629 Posts
License plate no, but I'm not sure about tint. I was driving a car registered in NC (where no front plate is req'd) in Ohio, and a cop whipped around real quick once he saw me. I wasn't speeding or anything, so he had to have whipped around for the no front plate. Once he ran the NC plates (riding my ass the whole time mind you), he realized he couldn't get me for no front plate.
they can be dicks and pull you over for tint if they are super assholes, but they can't do anything about it. Tint is state by state, so if it is legal in the registered state than they can't do shit about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.