2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got my new plates in and installed them with license plate frames.

On the front, I used a plain black plastic frame (from eBay), which helps visually "shrink" the plate to make it a little less prominent. I cut out the tabs (using a Dremel) on the bottom of the car's plate holder to make the frame sit flush against the holder. The frame also came with caps which nicely covers the screw heads.

On the rear, I used a Billet Specialties aluminum frame (from Amazon). I had to buy new stainless M6 metric flat head screws to fit the car. I (painstakingly) mirror polished the screw heads with sandpaper and a Dremel to match the polished finish of the frame. The bottom two screws I cut and secured with a nut on the backside of the plate. I did this for looks so I would not have two empty holes on the bottom. I used several M6 nylon washers to space the frame slightly from the trunk lid so it would not rattle in any way. I also put clear rubber pads on the trunk lid so that the nuts for the bottom two screws would not scratch/dent the car.

All this was all quite a lot of work (and money) but I am happy with the results. Looks clean and elegant, especially with the debadging.
 

Attachments

  • Like
Reactions: JediMindTricks

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Got a couple of these Mazda ones that they use on the press cars from Mazda HQ. :]

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I finally got my new plates in and installed them with license plate frames.

On the front, I used a plain black plastic frame (from eBay), which helps visually "shrink" the plate to make it a little less prominent. I cut out the tabs (using a Dremel) on the bottom of the car's plate holder to make the frame sit flush against the holder. The frame also came with caps which nicely covers the screw heads.

On the rear, I used a Billet Specialties aluminum frame (from Amazon). I had to buy new stainless M6 metric flat head screws to fit the car. I (painstakingly) mirror polished the screw heads with sandpaper and a Dremel to match the polished finish of the frame. The bottom two screws I cut and secured with a nut on the backside of the plate. I did this for looks so I would not have two empty holes on the bottom. I used several M6 nylon washers to space the frame slightly from the trunk lid so it would not rattle in any way. I also put clear rubber pads on the trunk lid so that the nuts for the bottom two screws would not scratch/dent the car.

All this was all quite a lot of work (and money) but I am happy with the results. Looks clean and elegant, especially with the debadging.
Looks good, I really love your attention to detail
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top