2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why no license plate anchors? Sucks that we have to try and manually align the plate then screw directly into the bumper. Mess it up and you’ll have extra holes to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,353 Posts
Don't use screws......
get a roll of 3M trim tape and a bit of square aluminum tubing and make a DYI plate mount...or just use the tape directly on the back of the plate.
Mine has been attached securely for more than 2 years, no sign of falling off yet......

·
Registered
26 Posts
The front grill of the 19 has sections of the grill filled in for mounting a front plate. If you are talking the back I have a dealer tag there so holes were already in place.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front grill of the 19 has sections of the grill filled in for mounting a front plate. If you are talking the back I have a dealer tag there so holes were already in place.
Yeah, talking about the back plate. I don’t care for screwing directly into the bumper. Can’t really tighten them down very much and It’s not as secure as factory threaded holes for the screws.

Re. the front plate. If there was ever an argument to not have a front mounted license plate it’s the beautiful front fascia of the ‘19 3. Front plates look like braces on the mouth of a prom queen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was really surprised about how cheap the mounting "hardware" was on the '19. My dealer only put two bolts on the front plate, so I ordered two more bolts on Amazon and added them to the bottom. I was shocked that the mounting area for the back plate only had room for two bolts. There is nothing to screw bolts into on the bottom of the back plate.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was really surprised about how cheap the mounting "hardware" was on the '19. My dealer only put two bolts on the front plate, so I ordered two more bolts on Amazon and added them to the bottom. I was shocked that the mounting area for the back plate only had room for two bolts. There is nothing to screw bolts into on the bottom of the back plate.
I was able to put screws in the bottom but I pushed the plate all the way up against the top area beneath the license plate lamps. I’ve seen nylon anchors at the auto parts store. I may go and get a set but you have to make some pretty large holes to get them in like dry wall anchors. Shame on Mazda for going cheap. So many minor details keep this from being in the luxury class that they hope to compete in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I only need rear plates and was also disappointed by the lack of anchors. And naturally the salesman who installed the plate stripped one of the screws.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only need rear plates and was also disappointed by the lack of anchors. And naturally the salesman who installed the plate stripped one of the screws.
My salesman only put in the top two screws but the plate was crooked and off-center. I had to re-do it when I got home and now there’s extra holes in the bumper

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live in a front plate state, but I'm going to see if I can use a "smoke" cover on just the front to tone down the plate and blend it into the grill. It looks so stupid otherwise.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I live in a front plate state, but I'm going to see if I can use a "smoke" cover on just the front to tone down the plate and blend it into the grill. It looks so stupid otherwise.
I live in Illinois and it's illegal here to put any cover over a license plate, including a clear one. That's because the flash of red light and speed cameras will reflect off the cover and they won't be able to see the license plate number to ticket us if they deem we've broken the law.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Out soon...The BP No-Drill Plate Relocator! The Hatch & Sedan DO NOT share the same kit. Different bumpers.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out soon...The BP No-Drill Plate Relocator! The Hatch & Sedan DO NOT share the same kit. Different bumpers.

That’s great for the European plates but what about for the smaller USA plates?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
That’s great for the European plates but what about for the smaller USA plates?

The BP relocators, like those for the Gen3 BM/BN, can take Euro, NA, Nippon, or just about any plate size there is. Mount height preference is left to the owner.
Great. I want it
Thanks...a small catch....A bit of patience needed. M3R will, of course, get ETA updates.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.