2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock rubber on the car is meant for Touring not performance driving :) Question - if you did change your tires what did you replace them with? how much of an improvement in handling did you notice?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Changed tires and wheels to +2 (18x8") and didn't really push it until I got the suspension done but lets say 40-60mph corners are fun and it's solid.

Continental DWS06.

Discounting the exhaust swap, the tires are definitely quieter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't upgraded my tires yet but will chime in on the stock ecopia tires for reference. The main complaints I have are noise and wet road performance. They have a bit of trouble when corning hard but it's nothing too bad.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Here's another forum section with lots of threads, lots of info if you want to upgrade your tires.

2014-2016 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Wheels and Tires - Page 12 - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

However, if you want the "summary", Continental DWS 06 are the leading choice of forum members, with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+being the second choice. Those Conti's are excellent IMO, and give a better ride than the Michelin's. Personally, I am going with the performance-edge Michelin's which also have a better mileage outcome.

Again, you can't go wrong with either of those two. And you may wish to explore/get some of the other highly selected ones.

·
Super Moderator
5,178 Posts
Replaced the OEM Avid S34s with Dunlop Signature HPs. Better in every way by far. The stock tires sucked in every way.
I have new rims for summer tires in the garage. I'll be making a trip to TireRack in a few days to pick up a set of Continentals to go with them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will be buying Cooper RS3-G1s in the summer. Price is cheaper than both Michelin and Continental by about $200 CDN after install.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know the stock rubber on the car is meant for Touring not performance driving :) Question - if you did change your tires what did you replace them with? how much of an improvement in handling did you notice?
Once the OEM Dunlops are done, I expect to replace them with one of the following: RE-71R, ZII Star Spec, or R-S4. These are all "extreme performance" tires that will likely last only 12-15,000 miles, and that long only because most of the time I won't be leaning on the car very hard. More on this class of tire here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/perfCat.jsp?perf=EP, and here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP.

This will make a dramatic improvement - not so much in handling per se, but in absolute grip. The difference will be night and day, helped by the fact that the much-stickier rubber will be mounted on much-lighter 17X7½ RPF1s. This tire and wheel combo will yield a weight savings of 14# per corner. That is a huge reduction, and it will make each corner more responsive to changes in the road surface. Additionally, the 56# overall weight reduction will make the car more responsive to throttle and brake inputs - not a lot, really, but I expect it will be just enough to be noticeable in certain places.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Replaced stock avid s34's with Dunlop dz102 summer tires. They're quieter and grip a lot better. For reference, a curved on ramp I take often,I could only go 35mph before. the Avids would squeal like crazy. With the dunlops I can push through at 45mph and no squeals or loss of traction.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I haven't upgraded my tires yet but will chime in on the stock ecopia tires for reference. The main complaints I have are noise and wet road performance. They have a bit of trouble when corning hard but it's nothing too bad.
What was your problem with noise? I started a recent thread on road noise and the general conclusion was that the noise levels are OK - see http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/187946-mazda-3-2017-road-engine-noise.html

·
Registered
502 Posts
did my coilovers then went with a different sizing for the stock rims.

225/45/r18. yoko advans ad08r. they're R compounds. way better grip and cornering, but they take a little to warm up. Sidewall flex is really stiff on the advans as they have a steel thing in the sidewall. it really helps when the tyres get really hot and don't crumble when you corner. i feel they're better in the dry compared to michelins pss i used before. that said, once this is done, i'll put pss on this car to see how it handles. (which might not be a fair comparison as winter is coming in june) not changing the rims anytime soon yet, but i don't expect longevity out of these tyres.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Conti DWS 06 on my 18s and 19s. Yes, they're that good!

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had Conti DWS06 on my `16. They were quiet and performed very well, even in the rain. Because my Speed 3 is such a torque beast I`m pretty much forced to run an ultra performance summer tire so the Pilot Super Sports were the answer there. Quiet, great grip, and decent tread life; the exact opposite of the Nitto NT05s I was going to run (well, except for grip.Those particular Nitto tires are nothing short of drag radials).

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
hmm interesting. the "info" of yokohama australia website states "the new "R" tyre compound...". i guess the write up varies from tirerack and yoko.au never really used US websites as i can't get most of the stuff anyways. but i definitely agree with you that they're below the R888 and not full R compound like slicks if you want to put it that way.

Yokohama Tyres | Car Tyres from Yokohama: ADVAN Neova AD08 Tyre Prices, Sizes & Reviews

·
Super Moderator
5,178 Posts
I believe that they are Extreme Performance Summer tires, a step below the sort-of R-compounds like the Yoko A048, Nitto NT01, and Toyo R888. True R-compound tires are a noticeable step up from those three tires, and you wouldn't use them unless it was on a race track.
hmm interesting. the "info" of yokohama australia website states "the new "R" tyre compound...". i guess the write up varies from tirerack and yoko.au never really used US websites as i can't get most of the stuff anyways. but i definitely agree with you that they're below the R888 and not full R compound like slicks if you want to put it that way.
The Yoko AD08R is not a true R compound tire, not really. These have a wear rating of 180 so they are pretty soft. It may have been considered an R compound tire a few years ago but the new R compound tires are much improved since then. These tires and a few others like the RE 71 are probably stickier than real race tires were some time ago, now that level of grip is considered a street tire. :smile2:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what kind of life did you get on the OEM? How does it compare with the Ultra high performance tires such as the Michelin Pilot Sport/Pirelli P0/Conti DWS06? Assume aggressive driving.

·
Super Moderator
5,178 Posts
what kind of life did you get on the OEM? How does it compare with the Ultra high performance tires such as the Michelin Pilot Sport/Pirelli P0/Conti DWS06? Assume aggressive driving.
For me, ~500 miles. They were all around crap and replaced.

The DWS06 is hardly a "high performance tire". Its an all season sport tire. The PZero is high performance summer tire . Big difference. The Advans are a step above those even.
Which Michelin are you referring to? The Pilot Sport name covers a wide range.

Sticky high performance tires like the Michelin Super Sport don't last long in any event. 10k, 15k miles maybe. Add to that the compound starts to get hard after a year or so and they loose their grip. Mostly they are good or one or two years regardless of miles. If you drive aggressively and/or do autocross/HPDE or track days, figure on at least one set a year.
Extreme tires like the Advan AD08R you might get 10k if you are lucky and don't get too crazy to often. Tires like these have a life measured in hours when used in a competition environment:shocked:

·
Registered
502 Posts
when looking at performance tyres, i doubt the first thing that come to mind is the longevity. they'll last within the thread depth and are good for 15-20k KMS at least, but anything above 8-10k aren't as grippy as it's supposed to be. i've just about reached the 10k kms mark in my advan ad08r and they're starting to slip under hard acceleration..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like most all-seasons, the stock Dunlops are compromise tires, trying to do-it-all, but they do nothing well. While driving in the rain this past weekend, realized how low grip they are in water. The car deserves rubber that better matches its chassis so I'm thinking of replacing them. In the past I liked to run extreme summer tires like Dunlop Direzza Star Spec, Yokohama AD08, or Bridgestone RE11, loved their immediate response and predictable grip in dry and wet at expense of ride and wear. But for this car, I'm thinking something more comfortable but still deliver grip and responsiveness, which puts me in max summer category.

I want to try the new Michelin PSS replacement PS4S, even though I hated the PSS when tried on two different occasions. Sticking to oem size really limits options, but most likely go with Bridgestone S04 PPs. I remember they have stiff sidewalls, good predictable grip, quiet, and wear well. Good value too at 133 per on tirerack.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts