Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I wanted to come back and give an update because there are people that still comment on the original post.

First, I wanted to thank the very few people that showed some sort of sympathy towards the situation. Your good people.

Secondly, for everyone else who has some type of snide remark, I get it. I made a dumb mistake. And you live and you learn through hindsight.

Now for the legality of the issue. My husband and I reached out to an attorney in our area that deals in dealership fraud. We laid out exactly what happened to him and he said we definitely had a case. Even if the contract stated one thing, the car was being represented as another, and because of the false representation (may it be intentional or unintentional) we had choices as consumers. The statute of limitation on cases like this is a year, so yes, even after driving the car for 6 months, we could still bring a case against the dealership.

For a small fee, he drafted a demand letter, playing a strong hand (that way we could negotiate backwards), stating to remedy the situation the dealership needed to rescind the contract and pay off the loan. Now, the loan included negativity equity from the 2017 Mazda3 I had traded in. What we were hoping for, was for the dealership to pay off the loan minus the negativity equity we had rolled in plus the extra warranties we added to the car (around $11,800). This means the dealer would have paid off about $23000. I did not think that unfeasible.

A few days after the letter was sent, we got a phone call from the dealer. After some talking, he was more than willing for me to come in and trade in my current vehicle, and get me into a new AWD Mazda3 without us coming out of pocket for anything (obviously willing to lose money over it). The sales rep admitted that I had come in wanting an AWD Mazda3, but does not remember transaction details after that. Now if I love the vehicle, I would have done this, but after being in the car for 6 months, I absolutely hated it. So I went and test drove a WRX and absolutely fell in love with it. My heart was set on that car. I had explained to the dealer that I just wanted him to rescind to where we would take the negative equity to another dealership and roll it into another vehicle of my choice (Subaru had already stated we could do this). Well, he wasn't willing to do that without going the legal route (even though he would have lost money either way).

So even though we had a good legal case, my husband and I decided it was best to just trade in my Mazda3 for the WRX I wanted instead of paying lawyer fees out the wazoo for the dealership wanting to drag it out.

Finally, referring to my original post... THE MAZDA3 AWD IS NOT BETTER THAN MY WRX. I hated the fact that Mazda3 AWD system only kicks in when something is amiss with the front two tires. Mazda added a bunch of weight with the rear differential and instead of giving the consumer a true AWD vehicle, they gave you a heavier FWD with an occasional AWD for the sake of fuel economy. I don't mind losing a a few miles to the gallon for a car that handles better. On top of that, the car in general is just better. I hated Mazda's adaptive cruise control. The braking was too aggressive and acceleration agonizingly slow. Now, while I typically don't like using adaptive cruise control at all (because I want to go 70 if I have it set on 70), I don't mind using it on the WRX. Braking and acceleration are natural and won't break your neck. On top of that, I have the ability to turn it between adaptive and normal by pressing a button on a steering wheel instead of having to go through multiple menu screens to get it off. And last, I don't have fucking annoying rattles from poor assembly.

Yes, we ate a lot of money doing this, but I am SO glad I chose the WRX over the 2020 Mazda3 AWD the dealership was offering me. Definitely learned our lesson on this one, but hopefully, we won't be trading in my new vehicle for quite awhile.
Take this update as you will. I know many of you will get a laugh at it, but I'm just thankful I don't have a car that I'll need to constantly take in for warranty issues. Have a blessed day!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
WRX isn't a bad vehicle. Watch your oil like a hawk though and stay ahead of dealer recommended maintenance cycle on the oil/coolant and you shouldn't have any problems(do changes early rather than on-time/late and or use higher grade premium oil). The piston landing ring on number 4 has a history on the entire turbo engine series and if you got the flake engines that like to burn oil stay after the dealer like a hawk for warranty repair until fixed. Former Subaru Owner geek here.

Also, follow typical turbo ownership rules. IE don't run it hot then shut down. Idle for a few minutes before shutdown.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What we were hoping for, was for the dealership to pay off the loan minus the negativity equity we had rolled in plus the extra warranties we added to the car (around $11,800). This means the dealer would have paid off about $23000. I did not think that unfeasible.

just wow? I don't think you would have won that case using those numbers and the facts you supplied to us. I hope you like the WRX.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What we were hoping for, was for the dealership to pay off the loan minus the negativity equity we had rolled in plus the extra warranties we added to the car (around $11,800). This means the dealer would have paid off about $23000. I did not think that unfeasible.

just wow? I don't think you would have won that case using those numbers and the facts you supplied to us. I hope you like the WRX.
dealer stated he would have gave us 22,500 on a trade in, so.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't understand how anyone who "absolutely fell in love with" a WRX could go shopping for a Mazda 3 - and buy one. Regardless of AWD the Mazda is aimed at a totally different market.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't understand how anyone who "absolutely fell in love with" a WRX could go shopping for a Mazda 3 - and buy one. Regardless of AWD the Mazda is aimed at a totally different market.
I only test drove the WRX after getting into what I thought was an AWD Mazda3. After test driving the Subaru, I didn’t want to go the route of staying with a Mazda.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You didn't like the Mazda. That's fine. You no longer own one; now you can head on over to a 'Subaru' forum and rant there. No reason to be here.

None of what you've written here or in your previous thread is particularly convincing, but good luck to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't like the Mazda. That's fine. You no longer own one; now you can head on over to a 'Subaru' forum and rant there. No reason to be here.

None of what you've written here or in your previous thread is particularly convincing, but good luck to you.
Who shit in your cereal this morning? I was simply giving an update. I don’t know what needs to be “convincing.” I have better things to do with my time than come up with stories to “troll” car forums. If you don’t care, then keep scrolling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
People gave you a hard time because people can't stand when other people try to justify their mistakes and sue people over their own stupidity. One of the many things wrong with society today.....it's not my fault, he did it, boo hoo, I'm going to sue lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WRX isn't a bad vehicle. Watch your oil like a hawk though and stay ahead of dealer recommended maintenance cycle on the oil/coolant and you shouldn't have any problems(do changes early rather than on-time/late and or use higher grade premium oil). The piston landing ring on number 4 has a history on the entire turbo engine series and if you got the flake engines that like to burn oil stay after the dealer like a hawk for warranty repair until fixed. Former Subaru Owner geek here.

Also, follow typical turbo ownership rules. IE don't run it hot then shut down. Idle for a few minutes before shutdown.
The 2015+ WRX have a different engine than the traditional FJ series. Hopefully they worked out the bugs on the oil issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People gave you a hard time because people can't stand when other people try to justify their mistakes and sue people over their own stupidity. One of the many things wrong with society today.....it's not my fault, he did it, boo hoo, I'm going to sue lol.
The courts system is there for a reason. Just because there were mistakes on our part does not mean the dealership should not be held liable for their mistakes. If you want to let businesses walk all over you and not hold them accountable for negligence, that’s your prerogative.

My husband and I are not “sue happy” people. I felt the dealership (salesperson) made some major mistakes (even if I made some too), especially since I came in there specifically for an AWD. Why would I roll in so much negative equity for the exact same vehicle?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mazda and Subaru are both brands with strong followings. My wife has had 5 Subarus and I have had 6 Mazdas. I understand the appeal of Subaru. I looked at the WRX but found it too unrefined for my daily commute.

I hope you enjoy the WRX. It is a great vehicle with a huge fan base. I recommend you join a WRX forum. You will find people who appreciate your new car as we appreciate our Mazdas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mazda and Subaru are both brands with strong followings. My wife has had 5 Subarus and I have had 6 Mazdas. I understand the appeal of Subaru. I looked at the WRX but found it too unrefined for my daily commute.

I hope you enjoy the WRX. It is a great vehicle with a huge fan base. I recommend you join a WRX forum. You will find people who appreciate your new car as we appreciate our Mazdas.
I loved my 2017 Mazda3 Hatchback. I’m by no means bashing the car manufacturer as a whole. Just giving an update on a legal issue with one dealership. This will be my last post on the forum. I’m not trying to bring strife to the forum, but thank you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
One thing I don't understand:
why didn't you agree on switching to AWD mazda, then just using that car for trade-in or selling? Isn't like AWD version more expensive, saving you some money on the way?

I find it kindof strange.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The 2015+ WRX have a different engine than the traditional FJ series. Hopefully they worked out the bugs on the oil issues.
The FA series has some improvements over the EJ series of the past turbo motors. But there are still a number with oil burning issues. Hence the reason I say to stay ahead of the maintenance recommendations and using the higher quality synthetics (buy your own, Amsoil, Redline make great synthetics for subaru's)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Not sure when or if engine in the plain-jane WRX changed after '15... but WRX's of that year, with straight-gut Direct Injection (like our Skyactiv-G engines) had or have a propensity to carbon-up intake valves (unlike our Mazda's). I should say our Mazda's do too, but much less aggressively/frequently.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.