2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought it about time to introduce you all to my car... especially since I almost never make it out to a meat or show that I'm not working at.

So here she is, a '12 Black Mica 2.5L hatch with manual (because even if it's slow, it shouldn't feel that way). Sure I would've liked to get a Speed3, but the stars just didn't align for me. I still have plenty of fun with her.

I first got her at the end of September 2012, and a few hours after that I picked up my first mod: ms3 rear section exhaust. I actually also picked up the ms3 b-pipe, but that's been sitting in my garage ever since. I LOVE the sound of the ms3 rear section. It's the right amount of growl without being loud. I'm old and have learned to respect my neighbors.

I've never been a fan of the titanium-look tips, but with any luck those will be changed out soon. Anyone want to trade for their stock-tipped ms3 exhaust? :thumbup 1:

Next mod was tint. I live in SoCal, with a young son, and am very much not a fan of heat, so I spent a little extra and got ceramic all around (except the windshield, of course).

I had some 3M Di-Noc sitting around the house, so after having the car for about a month I started figuring out what parts could easily be removed. First up was the doors...

and then the dash...

Although the steering wheel is also done in that pic, I didn't do it as the same time as the dash. I lived with the boring stock wheel for nearly a year before I finally changed it more to my liking...

Then a couple more visual mods...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eventually I decided I wanted a little more go-noise from her, so I treated her to a new K&N intake kit (shown here with the AEM dryflow filter)

I was happy with her for awhile, but then the modding bug bit again. I started slow with some badge modification...

and followed it up some headlight modification, courtesy of The Retrofit Source and my oven...

Oh, and I also installed some solid shifter mounts, which you can clearly see here...

Honestly, I'm not a fan of them. If I had known how little of a difference they'd make I would have never bothered ripping the center console apart. I would just take them out and sell them, but I'm not even sure it's worth the trouble for how much I'd get for them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and I forgot to mention... I even installed a Recaro seat in my car!

... I hear it's super comfy. :lol:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you're off to a good start. Right thumb! Are you talking with Mitch about getting sponsorship with VMR? The silver would look good against the black.
I would like to, but probably not at this point. Won't have any money to spend until after the holidays, and I already have a couple other wheel contacts that I may be working with next year. Keeping my fingers crossed that the plans for next season come to fruition. She'll be going through some changes.:yes:

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. :biggrin:

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
Leets!!!! Yeah buddy! So glad you threw up a build thread! Good work man! The car is coming along perfectly!
Im down if you wanna trade for my stock ms3 axleback! I mean shoot..... we already traded b-pipes... might as well go all the way!
Looking good tho brother!

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Looks great. Love the first pic! If your interested in trading tips we have stock speed tips I would trade. Message me if your interested.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update time. This past weekend I finally got around to installing the ms3 b-pipe that's been sitting in my garage for the past year.

As you can see from the pic, the stock 2.5L b-pipe is a fair amount shorter than the ms3 pipe...

Hmmm... not sure that would work out too well...

Luckily @punkk77 was able to help out with a solution...

Overall I'm quite happy with this mod. Even with the stock ms3 resonator still attached, it gave a little more growl to the already noticeable ms3 rear section. I'm not a fan of overly loud exhausts. I like to hear my car when I want to, but keep things civil when I'm feeling old and slow. The throttle does seem a tad more responsive, but at this point I know the car could definitely use a proper tune... I just need to figure out how to get that accomplished.

Oh, and I installed the Eibach rear sway bar a few weeks ago, but so far this is the only pic I've taken of it. I'm currently on the "race" setting, but I think I may go back to "street" before the rain shows up (if it ever decides to stop being summer in SoCal). The "street" is a slight improvement over stock, but still completely tame for everyday driving. The "race" setting does make things a bit more interesting, and with the proper tires would be no problem for daily use (granted you're experienced enough with it to know the limits), but it can easily kick-in some snap oversteer if you don't get your turn just right. The stock Yokos aren't helping my situation.

Next up is an Eibach ProKit... if we ever manage to get the strut removed from the knuckle...

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Yeah buddy! Glad u got time to put it on there! Now you need to make a quality video for everyone to hear your sweet exhaust!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, it's been awhile since an update, but life got in the way of my modding. :argh 1:

Anyway, this past week I decided to rip my headlights open again and put the stock projectors back in. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of going back to a strictly halogen set-up, though, so since I already had the halogen projectors out I figured I'd modify them to make them a little more HID friendly.

... Now, anyone interested in a slightly used TRS RetroQuik kit for the genpu?:cheesy:

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... And here's a completely random pick I took while we were filming in an empty warehouse one night. Sadly, my car did not have a starring role. :tongue:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts