2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 GT has LED headlights however the main beams are set to run as DRLs (with reduced light output) which is kind of annoying, especially in the daytime. Is there a way to re-code the headlights such that DRLs are the halos like the European Mazda 3 models? I know there is a trick of turning off the DRLs completely but I rather have some lights on rather than none at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd like to know more about this, too. It's my understanding from reading the forums that the dealer can turn off the DRL function for US spec Mazda 3. I don't know if that changes the behavior of the accent lights, ideally the accent lighting would stay on (Like most of the Mazda LED DRL lighting, see the 2017 CX3 as an example) when the car was running, and the LED headlights would come on with the auto headlight setting, or with the headlight switch turned on. Since this is an international forum, there have been other threads discussing this, but Mexico, Canada, UK and US spec'ed vehicles have different lighting schemes so it's been a challenge to get clarity around this particular question.

In any case, any confirmed modification info for US Spec 2017 Mazda GT would be welcome.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Canadian spec model so dealers can't turn off DRLs since they are required by law when the car is sold.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have a 2017 mazda cx-5 gt now and the LED headlights are on at reduced power as DRL also. From what I've seen on the other forum, you can disable that DRL feature but it'll turn off the LED accent lights too. I actually don't mind having the low beam on as DRL, I kind of like the look. The current corolla (before facelift) also uses the low beam as DRL at reduced light. The acura TLX and MDX also uses the low beam as DRL, not sure if it's reduced power or not tho, probably is.

·
Registered
988 Posts
@lordnikon, DRL configuration on our Mazda's depends from country to country. As far as I know and seen in Israel the DRL for 2017 models is only the accent LED Halos. (Also 2016) (*Very interesting here too that one of the accent light is on full brightness while the halo is also on full brightness and the second accent light is dimmed)

As well a member here raised the same question, you can find more info on this thread:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...195194-2017-gt-mazda-3-headlighta-always.html

Finally, I am by no means an engineer or programmer, but I think the DRL settings can be configured only for the Halos to be ON not including the headlights (Fact in can be done since in Israel this is how it works). My logical point is that the settings of your headlights is the way it is because of regulations imposed by the government to car manufacturers regarding DRL , in this case for the headlight to be ON with the DRL as it is require by law. (Although I may be wrong)

Attached 2 pictures showing the example of your situation while the second shows how DRL are configured in Israel. (And I know, thank you captain obvious lol )

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts