2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FORGIVE ME this is the first post of how to I have ever done.
Hello and hope this helps some of you that are hesitant to drill, I looked at several other posts to see how to remove the cup holder and decided to do so to put in LEDs for my cup holder. I for one am LAZY and want to get results as quick as possible, so I start off looking at my local wally-world (wal-mart) and see what toys they have. They have these nice already to accept 12vDC led strips with 3m tape sorry I do not remember exactly what brand of light it is but it is one of the only ones that says you can HARD WIRE. I cut them down to size and hid them deep in the cavity of the cup holder, (only because these things are bright and were reflecting off the pass window and was annoying.) (First image) Pull e-brake up slightly, start at the back right corner of cup holder and pull up. Working your way around the whole cup holder pull up until it is fully out. I messed around sticking the 3m tape from the led strip finding the exact location for the led strip so it shines through the slot of the cup holder. To remove the panel around the gear shift make sure you have your e bark still pulled and put the car in N. Remove the knob and pry one of the sides of the center council while pulling up on the gear shift panel GENTLY. (BE CAREFUL; Mazda does not give a lot of slack in the wire that has the bulb for what gear you are in) For power I tapped into the cig lighter and ran the ground back to the fuse box. In all it was about a 10 + minutes install depending on experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Link not working...

WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME WORKING PICS...:sad 1:

ALWAYS AMAZES ME HOW INGENUIS PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ARE, WOW!!:punk:

·
Registered
732 Posts
can you provide install instructions and the specific product you purchased?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Soooo bitchin...

ON THE 3RD BRAKE LITE...
LOOKS LIKE FROM YOUR ALBUM PICS THAT THE LED STRIP HAD STICKY TAPE ON ONE SIDE, YES/NO ??:mellow 1:

IS THE 3RD BRAKE LIGHT A PLUG AND PLAY???? (ANY WIRE TAPPING):crybaby 1:

LOOKS LIKE A FAIRLY EASY MOD WITH GREAT RESULTS!!!:yes:

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YES to sticky NO to plug and play, VERY easy mod wish i could send you the link to where i got the ideal from and give them credit but can not find it. Yes it has tape on the back of it just like the cup holder one i have a pic up of what brand the led strip is. Just spliced into existing wiring harness

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sweet... One more question

SO YOU REMOVED EXISTING BULBS STUCK THE STRIP TO THE LENS AND THEN TAPPED INTO THE EXISTING WIRING HARNESS???

DOES THAT SUM IT UP???

OH YEAH... AMAZING HOW STRAIGHT THE STRIP IS!!! LOOKS FACTORY, BUT NOT. R U WORRIED ABOUT IT BECOMING LOOSE IN THERE AND THEN CREATING A SQUIGGLY 3RD BRAKE LIGHT??:sad 1:

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sums it up good. not at all worried about them moving around it is a real sung fit. thanks on how they look but i know they are slightly off but that just knowing and cant tell unless told so now i am sure you and everyone else will look and notice, owell it take a second to pull it out and fix it. I'll do the research and see if I can not find what post it was so they get the credit.

·
Registered
732 Posts
SO YOU REMOVED EXISTING BULBS STUCK THE STRIP TO THE LENS AND THEN TAPPED INTO THE EXISTING WIRING HARNESS???

DOES THAT SUM IT UP???

OH YEAH... AMAZING HOW STRAIGHT THE STRIP IS!!! LOOKS FACTORY, BUT NOT. R U WORRIED ABOUT IT BECOMING LOOSE IN THERE AND THEN CREATING A SQUIGGLY 3RD BRAKE LIGHT??:sad 1:
Please don't use all caps, it makes it seem like you are shouting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for resurrect the post. I installed a LED strip I got from oznium.com a little over a year ago and like you said, it was a 10 min install and with very little wiring experience. oznium has strips in lots of different colors and sizes so you can choose anything!

I wired mine directly into the cigarette lighter in the dash. Make sure you do not wire it into the cigarette lighter in the center console, as that is always on(at least for me it is). The one in the dash is only on when the car is on. I just placed the led strip on the lip of the cupholders. Everything fits great and I havent had any issues yet. My only gripe is that its very bright, I don't care that much because its facing the other way but my passengers sometimes complain. I just remove any bottles in the cupholder and close it if they get too whiny, cuz I still think it looks amazing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts