1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered some flexstrip LED lights:
WFLS series Flexible Light Strips

I will install them here:

I plan to have them come on as the car turns on and stay on, when the headlights are on as well. Any suggestions for a line or fuse to use for that purpose?

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the idea from another forum

www.m4zda3forums.com/index.php?topic=203809.0

replace the "4" for a real URL

It's simple, inexpensive and looks like it will do what I need. We don't need real DRLs here, but I hope that putting these in will increase daytime viability. My insurance will drop by $26 every 6 months with DRLs, so it will pay for itself, in a manner of speaking, if my insurance company will accept these as DRL.

On a related note, I was thinking of wiring them to a switch, ideally in the left side cluster, by the steering wheel. All that's there now is a traction control switch. Does anyone know where you can purchase a switch that would fit that location?

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Can't wait to see finished product! And don't really know about the way to wire them up, there is a guide on installing Fogs to where they are always on when the car key is put in the ACC and On position and it has something to do with the fuses. So you could do the same....

But I can't remember where that guide is or I would post it. Its on a Mazda 3 forum but don't know if it is this one or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done.

Took about 2 hours, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ended up running a wire into the cabin and connecting to the inside fuse box (CIGAR).

The LEDs have a sticky on the back, so they're easy to place. As DRLs - they wouldn't work. The angle is too low, but you can still see them from fairly far away in daytime and at night, the look pretty cool.

Total cost: $38

There was excess LEDs on the strip that I had to cut off to fit. But the remaining LED strip has a place to connect wires, so I think I'll enhance the trnuk light with those.

Final product:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little follow up on these ....

They're brighter than I thought, but up close, you don't really see them.

From about 200m you notice them, even on a bright day. But, because of the angle, you don't see them when you're close. This is good, because I was worried about the glare affecting other drivers at night, but once you're about 15m or closer, you can no longer see the LEDs. You can still see the light, but they aren't distracting.

I was a little bummed about how it turned out, until I got in a different car and had someone drive mine toward me on the same road. Now I am really happy with how they turned out.

Installation is simple, inexpensive and I have 2 15LED light strips left to put .... somewhere.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Done.

Took about 2 hours, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ended up running a wire into the cabin and connecting to the inside fuse box (CIGAR).

The LEDs have a sticky on the back, so they're easy to place. As DRLs - they wouldn't work. The angle is too low, but you can still see them from fairly far away in daytime and at night, the look pretty cool.

Total cost: $38

There was excess LEDs on the strip that I had to cut off to fit. But the remaining LED strip has a place to connect wires, so I think I'll enhance the trnuk light with those.

Final product:
How did you wire this? any instructions? I want to do this too.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's really SUPER easy. I'll take some pictures tomorrow, but it's dark and raining out now.

The hardest part for me (not kidding) was finding somewhere to connect the power that's controlled by the key. You wouldn't believe how long it too me to find the interior fuse panel. Didn't have a manual with me. I did them in the dark at work so I wouldn't have to lay in the dirt driveway at my house.

I'll start a new topic on them tomorrow.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have LED's on my headlights, but im thinking about adding these too. Its best to run them to your headlight fuse under the hood.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have LED's on my headlights, but im thinking about adding these too. Its best to run them to your headlight fuse under the hood.
My car doesn't have DRL and the lights would only come on when the headlights are on, at least that's the way it seemed. I could be wrong though and I would MUCH rather not have the wire coming into the cab.

If there's an ACC key position powered fuse under the hood, I would really appreciate knowing which one.

The extent of my electrical knowledge is limited to light switches and batteries. It took me an hour to find the inside fusebox!

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Those look really nice! There is a wire for the ACC like you want but it's on the inside fuse box, there is a guide for wiring up fogs to be on when the key is in ACC so you could use the same wire and have it work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Would you happen to know the angle on the LEDs themselves? I know some you can get with the light output a certain degree of angle usually 90 and 180, or you may have gotten the strip with the side pointing LEDs..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used the flat and they point at the ground. I'll upload a plumb-line pic later so you can get an idea of the angle. You don't want me to measure anything. I'm visual-spacial impaired.

I measure ten times, cut once and still get it wrong :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a Mazda 3 and I really want to put some LEDs on it, almost exactly like what you did dawhoo.
What kind of LED strips did you get?
Also, I have absolutely no idea how to wire this up so could you please help me out? I'd like them to be on all the time not just like running lights but I have no clue what goes where.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This shows the angle well. As you can see, the lights are much more pointed at the ground than down the road. But still visible from several hundred yards in the daytime

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any chance you can get a few pics of the wiring?
I read a lot of how to guides but none of them go into detail about how to or what fuse to use.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts