2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wannabe race car driver
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I recently had one of my low beam headlights go out, and usually when something goes out or wears down on this car, I always try to upgrade it with something better. I have a 2013 3 with regular halogen bulbs. I’m happy with the color, brightness, throw distance, etc... but would like to put some LED bulbs in there instead. I’ve read through the forums and everyone swears by doing an HID swap, and while I wouldn’t mind doing that, it seems like everyone is either trying to get a different color or brighter bulbs or something.

I’m very happy with the brightness and color of my existing halogens (around 4300k) and was wondering if anyone could recommend some LEDs that plug directly in to the H11 socket and have about the same brightness and throw distance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had all 3 types on my 3. I wasn't supper happy with the halogen's brightness. The LED light bulbs were OK but gave me visibility trouble on the highway, the light didn't go very far. I have been enjoying the HID kit i recently put in and the visibility is great.

·
Wannabe race car driver
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use the regular headlight assembly and just swap bulbs / ballasts in, or did you get the HID assembly?

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
LEDs are fine if you get the right ones. Use something that uses Phillips Luxeon technology. The cheap ones don't provide the proper beam focus and you get just what you experienced. Lots of discussion on this if you use the search function.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did you use the regular headlight assembly and just swap bulbs / ballasts in, or did you get the HID assembly?

I just swapped out the light bulbs. the Mazda 3 HID headlight assembly also has the lens that turns when your car turns and our cars are not wired for that.

Arathol may be correct however, I don't think i will be going back to LED anytime soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
LEDs are fine if you get the right ones. Use something that uses Phillips Luxeon technology. The cheap ones don't provide the proper beam focus and you get just what you experienced. Lots of discussion on this if you use the search function.

Are those night pictures of your LEDs? I got some by Lasfit and the beam is very low. I need more downroad. Which ones did you get?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey all! I recently had one of my low beam headlights go out, and usually when something goes out or wears down on this car, I always try to upgrade it with something better. I have a 2013 3 with regular halogen bulbs. I’m happy with the color, brightness, throw distance, etc... but would like to put some LED bulbs in there instead. I’ve read through the forums and everyone swears by doing an HID swap, and while I wouldn’t mind doing that, it seems like everyone is either trying to get a different color or brighter bulbs or something.

I’m very happy with the brightness and color of my existing halogens (around 4300k) and was wondering if anyone could recommend some LEDs that plug directly in to the H11 socket and have about the same brightness and throw distance?

Thanks!
supposedly per Headlight Revolution they test out multiple lights via there youtube channel and showcase the best on the website, they have recommended me that the Diode Dianamics SL1 LED and Supernova V4 bulbs are the best LEDS for a projector style assembly.

·
New 2010 Mazdaspeed 3,
6 Posts
I purchased new headlight casings while restoring my Speed3 and went with HID’s I found on dBay and was generally satisfied with the light, but they needed to “warm up” so to speak. They were inexpensive, even with the ballasts and the anti-flicker cable.

More recently, I purchased LED bulbs for high and low beams and they are delightful. Nice, clean, white light instantly, no heat, but the low beams have a little fan as part of the shroud for the bulbs. These were also very inexpensive and I found them on eBay as well.

Being the equivalent of the stock bulbs, they fit perfectly in the socket. I also have LED bulbs in the driving lights below, as well as LEDs in the interior. I bought a kit for each lamp, but have them in the brake and tail lights and license blade bulbs. Having LED’s in the backup lights is awesome! Even with the almost mandatory window tinting in Arizona, those backup lights are strongly visible to me and makes backing up much safer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How to change headlamps lens

I just swapped out the light bulbs. the Mazda 3 HID headlight assembly also has the lens that turns when your car turns and our cars are not wired for that.

Arathol may be correct however, I don't think i will be going back to LED anytime soon.

How did you install progressive lens on your MZD3?

·
Registered
151 Posts

Thanks!
You might find this video helpful. She discusses LED vs Halogen vs HID.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts